How to run Teensyduino installer for Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beavis

How do I run the Teensyduino installer for Raspberry Pi? When I try to run the installer (ARM / Raspberry Pi version downloaded from your site), the Pi wants to know what I wanted to use to open an executable file. This baffles me.
Also, I installed the Arduino for both desktop and CLI. Does Teensyduino support both? Should I uninstall the GUI version (for me CLI has priority)?
Finally, your site says to remember where the Arduino IDE is installed. The Pi did the install for me and it came up automatically in the desktop main menu, so I don't know the actual path. Will I need to (somehow) find where it was installed?
Thanks.

When you download Teensyduino on Linux, you need to mark the program as an executable program.

I typically do it from a command prompt, by going to the download directory and typing: chmod +x Teensyduino
< note use the file name downloaded>

I believe you can also do this in the gui by using the properties command... Note: I have not used RPI for awhile, but do the above on Odroids

Unless you moved it, it is probably still in your download directory...

Not sure about the different Installs? Note: I assume you are using the Arduino ARM (experimental) installed from: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
And not the Arduino that you can install using apt-get...

On the occasions that I wish to run the Arduino on the ODroid headless, I typically setup the Odroid, such that I can run a VNC on it, so I can bring up a GUI wireless and from there reprogram the Teensy. An alternative way, is to build the Teensy program on my PC, download the binary file to the Odroid and then use a CLI command to program the Teensy.

Thanks so much for the guidance and quick reply. I didn't use the terminal window apt-get to install the Arduino IDE, but the GUI version from the desktop main menu (which I suspect is like a graphical "skin" that, in turn, uses apt-get (a "wrapper"?)) One install was the typical Arduino GUI (just like my Windows version), the other version was only for the command line. Since they're already installed, I'll first try the "chmod +x" method you described. If that gets hairy, I'll start over using the Arduino ARM link you gave.

QUICK QUESTION: Is the Teensy Loader (https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/index.html) the same as Teensyduino (https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyduino.html) ?

Unfortunately (for me), your method using "ODroid" (which I've never heard of) is mostly over my head. I was planning on writing/compiling/debugging the code at home using a PC, then Filezilla the .ino file to a remote Pi which would then upload to my Teensy 3.2 . Since my computer skills are rudimentary, I cobbled together the Pi, the Teensy, and some old relays and transistors to effectively unplug the Teensy (acting as a HID client) from the host USB (a security camera NVR), and then plug Teensy into the Pi's USB. Clumsy, to say the least, although a vast improvement over my original "trained monkey" approach! :) Anyway, I'm happy with it because the hardware is now DONE, and hopefully this crude yet simple approach will get the job done. Besides, this beast is quite amusing to behold! Wanna picture?

Teensy loader arrives as part of Teensyduino but for your cross compile setup could be used to get the Pi to download without the rest of the package. Teensyduino installs everything to edit and compile code, which I think you are not trying to do on your Pi.

So Teensyduino builds on your host PC, grab the hex file and move it onto your Pi. Then running just the loader program via a remote GUI manaully point it at the hex and press go.

If you can get it working https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader_cli.html as mentioned above will be even easier to use remotely.

As GremlinWrangler mentioned, you only need the Hex file from your pc. You do not need to install Arduino nor Teensyduino. You simply need something like the Teensy loader command line to reprogram your Teensy.

But as side note: If you decide you wish to do some Arduino programming on the RPI, unless it has changed over the last year or so, the Arduino you can install using apt-get or the GUI wrapper were a different than the normal Arduino install. If I remember correctly they had an older version of Arduino that they modified to work on ARM processors. My guess is that Teensyduino would not install over this version of Arduino.

You would instead need to go the website: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software, click on the ARM version of Arduino and download it. You can then extract it and then run their install script. Then download Teensyduino from PJRC (ARM version - probably beta version on form), Mark it as exectable and then run it. It is then going to want to know where you extracted the Arduino IDE to in the previous step.

Good Luck.

Kurt

P.S. - Odroid is just another maker, which I currently prefer using as they are faster and you have the ability to use emmc chips instead of SD Cards for storage.

Sorry for going sightly off topic. VNC - Is a setup to allow you to remotely see a desktop like your PC. I sometimes set up a version of it on the boards, such that if I need something in the GUI, like at times needing to set some Audio option, terminal window, start a VNC running, then use a VNC viewer on the PC, where I can then run most any GUI app, like Arduino...

Yes, all I need the Pi to do is to remotely upload to Teensy. Running the Teensy loader via CLI sounds ideal for simply saying "upload THIS file". But best of all is having only one install, rather than hunting down and installing the two that will work together. Less is more! Thanks again, this saves me from a lot of potential headaches :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back