Program Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAlameda

In a prototype, I have a buried Teensy 3.2 that is inaccessible to the finger. I need to put on the outside a button that has the same function that the Teensy 3.2 inaccessible button: push the button to upload new code.

If I understand correctly the schematics, this button may need to connect the pin “Program” in the edge of Teensy with GND when pushed.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

If the Teensy 3.2 is running a program ok with a USB Serial connection then the Teensy loader program can send a command over the USB connection to start the bootloader code in the Teensy.

Thus most new program uploads can be accomplished without touching the Teensy Program Button.

However, there are times when your program "goes south" and the Teensy is unresponsive to the USB attempt to enter bootloader mode.

For those occasions, you need to push the Program Button.

You are correct - The "Program" Pin is where you attach a external pushbutton to replicate the function of the on-board Program button.

Simply connect your new button between the Program Pin on the Teensy and Ground.

( Frank B - Your trigger finger is faster than mine -- sorry for the duplicate answer !! )

Last edited:
I don't know why, but - and this is the same for all models (Teensy LC..Teensy 3.6) - and even with the simplest "Blink" - i have to push the button 9 of 10 times.
I''m using Windows 10 - before, with Win 7, it was the same.

Hmmm...

That is interesting. I'll bet I have only needed to press the program button three or four times in the last year...

I'm using both Windows 7 and Windows 10 (depends on which computer I'm near at the time).

I don't know why, but - and this is the same for all models (Teensy LC..Teensy 3.6) - and even with the simplest "Blink" - i have to push the button 9 of 10 times.

Did it also happen with T3.1?

I have the gut feeling that with the new more powerfull MKL02 bootloader chip, I get a less responsive Teensy. There must be a speed issue.

I mentioned that last year, but, you know, there is no reproducible situation. Also, it may be that the USB bus is busy otherwise (e.g. waiting for a sleeping disk to respond)

I only have that problem, when I have USB serial (USB CDC) enabled. With RawHID, there is no issue.

With USB serial, the switch to bootloader mode requires that Teensy loader gets exclusive access to the COM port (it works be setting the baud rate to a magic number). So if something else is accessing the port or when Windows needs a while to release it, you get the timeout.

I think, that is the problem - Windows needs too long to release it. And i use Serial output quite often.
Or an other timing problem.
It works a BIT better without HUB. All teensies the same: LC, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5 & 3.6

At first i thought the 3.6 is much better, because the first days of beta-test had to press the button less often. Then it went to "normal" and i have to press it almost every time. I'm used to it, so its no real problem.
But i wonder why others don't have to do it... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back