Teensy 3.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninja2

Are there any plans for a teensy 3.2 with SD?

The T3.5/3.6 are impressive but (as always) they are overkill in some applications and fall short in others (e.g apparently they don't have the Programmable Gain Amplification built in to T3.2)

Would not make much sense, since there are small addon-boards for SD, and the 3.2 does not not have the builtin SDIO device.

So now I've read up - apparently SDIO expands the SD interface so other I/O functions can be supported (RFID, GPS, barcode etc). But if you just need ordinary uSD like me, I still think my t3.3 concept has merit :) Sure I could buy the tindie uSD adapter, but ...

sure, in my case I'm building a GPS + various other data logger to uSD that will be in a case. The uSD needs to be accessible from outside the case so having uSD on end like T3.5/3.6 is perfect as it can be mounted thru case wall, something the tindie uSD adapter doesn't support. I really don't need all the extra pins or MHz of the bigger teensy's, smaller overall size is an advantage, plus recently I learned the T3.2 MCU provides features like PGA that I need, whereas the T3.5/3.6 don't.

Hence t3.3 concept (t3.2 + uSD) = some merit :)

as an aside - interesting that you jumped from 3.2 to 3.5. Presumably you already have something planned? (but not expecting world-wide release announcement here ! )

Last edited:
ninja2 - if you find the spot in the K66_beta thread - the names were originally 3.4 and 3.5 leaving open just 3.3, but somewhere between .5 fitting the 5V part and the .6 fitting the K66 they got bumped.

As I see it the SD on the new Teensy's was a pure win as they needed to be bigger to expose the processor feature pins and unique mounting of the BGA package - where one feature was dedicated 4 bit SDIO pins that provided faster SD performance on a unique bus, with the adapter fitting over what would have been dead routing space feeding the new pins and under pads. And even the data and control pins for the SD adapter can be repurposed if the SD isn't needed - you can add a pluggable display.

The minimal SD shield for T_3.2 on Tindie may not be SD end accessible - but it doesn't cover the button.

How would that smaller size work, with the addition of a SD card?

I was assuming 3.2 + SD would smaller than T3.5/3.6 but on reflection it wouldn't be much if any (unless it could be mounted underneath perhaps)

In the end it seems my best option is still t3.5 using external PGA components to adjust ADC inputs on the fly. darn, I quite liked the sound of t3.3 ....

Last edited:
For the extra $5, If I need an SD card slot, I'll just get the Teensy3.5
I've just discovered the Teensy3.1 and will never buy an Arduino ProMicro again. Yeah they're overkill for most of what I do, but for the same $20 I can get a Teensy 3.2. For another $5 I can get a 3.5. I can always pick up an Arduino Mini clone for $5 if I need something cheap.

For the extra $5, If I need an SD card slot, I'll just get the Teensy3.5
I've just discovered the Teensy3.1 and will never buy an Arduino ProMicro again. Yeah they're overkill for most of what I do, but for the same $20 I can get a Teensy 3.2. For another $5 I can get a 3.5. I can always pick up an Arduino Mini clone for $5 if I need something cheap.

Or a Teensy LC for $12.

The microSD you linked to does look inconvient for case mounting. But why use that one? Such adapters are completely passive.

If I only needed one or two, I would either modify an external card reader adapter or make a little adapter board from perf board sized to my case.

An even better approach if you have some time or need to build more than a couple would be to learn enough Kicad or other PCB design program to order from OSH Park. This would be a great first PCB project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back