Frequency shift with the Weaver method ("third method") using quadrature oscillators

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD4WH

Frequency shift with the Weaver method ("third method") using quadrature oscillators

I have always been planning to use the Weaver method of SSB demodulation for a software defined radio. The Weaver method has become famous as the "third method" in the analog ham radio scene.The new Teensy 3.5 with its floating point unit makes this possible.

The method itself is a little complex and others can surely explain it much better than I can.

http://csoundjournal.com/ezine/summer2000/processing/
http://www.pa3ect.eu/start/weaver-derde-methode-ssb-visueel-uitgelegd/
Summers, H. (2015): Weaver article library. – online: http://www.hanssummers.com/weaver/weaverlib [2015-12-06]
Weaver, D. (1956): A Third Method of Generation of Single-Sideband Signals. – Proceedings of the IRE, Dec 1956.

It can be used for several purposes:

- frequency shifting: adding, not multiplying! Normal frequency shifting preserves the harmonics, because frequencies are multiplied. The frequency shifting by the Weaver method adds and therefore does not preserve the harmonic structure. Sounds strange, maybe useful for audio synthesizer freaks ;-)

- SSB (single sideband) demodulation with very good mirror rejection (no FIR Hilberts needed)

- frequency shifting in software defined radios by shifting one of the quadrature oscillators instead of tuning the hardware local oscillator, could be used for passband tuning

- etc. . . .

I have not been able to find code in C on the web for this method, so I tried to implement it by combining code of others on the Teensy, thanks guys! Thanks also to Pete for help in optimizing the floating point queue code!

It uses a mono input (left LINE channel). The 1st quadrature oscillator produces two signals with a frequency of (sampling_rate / 16), I & Q. Q is 90 degrees out of phase. These two signals are then lowpass-filtered by two identical IIR filters. The second quadrature oscillator has a frequency of (sampling rate/16) plus a desired offset (the amount of frequency we want to shift our original signal) and again has two outputs which are 90 degrees apart. The lowpass-filtered I & Q signals are mixed with the two outputs of the second quadrature oscillator. After that we simply add I & Q to get our original mono signal shifted by the desired offset frequency! I had to implement two types of quadrature oscillators, one efficient one, and one processor-intensive one (see the code for the reasons why). The whole audio chain works in 44.1kHz without decimation/interpolation and is implemented in floating point and needs 440µsec to process a block of 128 samples.

Here is the script for the Teensy, tested on the 3.5 with the new CMSIS lib V4.5. Try setting NCO_FREQ = AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_EXACT / 16 + 20; that will twist your ears ;-).

It also has a little spectrum analyser for an ILI9341 and lots of filters that could be switched in, but that is not necessary for the Weaver audio chain, but helps in making experiments with filters.

Suggestions for modifications and optimisations welcome!

Frank

Code:
/***********************************************************************
 * Weaver-style audio chain
 * Frank DD4WH 2016_10_30
 *  first experiment 
 */

// with optimizations by Pete El Supremo 2016_10_27, thanks Pete!
//
// this is a setup to test whether we can do real time audio processing 
// with the Teensy 3.5 in floating point math
// it takes the LINE INPUT audio, converts it from int16_t to float32_t, 
// does the audio processing in float32_t with the NEW ARM CMSIS lib (see https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/38325-Excellent-results-with-Floating-Point-FFT-IFFT-Processing-and-Teensy-3-6?p=119797&viewfull=1#post119797),
// and see here: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/38325-Excellent-results-with-Floating-Point-FFT-IFFT-Processing-and-Teensy-3-6?p=120177&viewfull=1#post120177 
// . . . converts the audio back to int16_t and gives it back to the headphone output
//
// MIT licence

#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <Metro.h>
#include "font_Arial.h"
#include <ILI9341_t3.h>
#include <arm_math.h>
#include <arm_const_structs.h>

#include "Filter_coeffs.h"

#define BACKLIGHT_PIN 0

#define TFT_DC      20
#define TFT_CS      21
#define TFT_RST     32  // 255 = unused. connect to 3.3V
#define TFT_MOSI     7
#define TFT_SCLK    14
#define TFT_MISO    12

//void sinewave(void);

ILI9341_t3 tft = ILI9341_t3(TFT_CS, TFT_DC, TFT_RST, TFT_MOSI, TFT_SCLK, TFT_MISO);

Metro five_sec=Metro(2000); // Set up a 0.5 second Metro

// this audio comes from the codec by I2S2

AudioInputI2S            i2s_in; 

AudioRecordQueue         Q_in_L;    
AudioRecordQueue         Q_in_R;    

AudioPlayQueue           Q_out_L; 
AudioPlayQueue           Q_out_R; 
AudioAnalyzeFFT256  myFFT;
AudioOutputI2S           i2s_out;           
AudioConnection          patchCord1(i2s_in, 0, Q_in_L, 0);
AudioConnection          patchCord2(i2s_in, 1, Q_in_R, 0);
AudioConnection      patchCord5(Q_out_R,0,myFFT,0); 
AudioConnection          patchCord3(Q_out_L, 0, i2s_out, 1);
AudioConnection          patchCord4(Q_out_R, 0, i2s_out, 0);
AudioControlSGTL5000     sgtl5000_1;     //xy=265.212

int idx_t = 0;
int idx = 0;
int64_t sum;
float32_t mean;
int n_L;
int n_R;
long int n_clear;

int peak[512];
int barm[512];

ulong samp_ptr = 0;
bool FFT_state = false;

const int myInput = AUDIO_INPUT_LINEIN;

// We're only processing one buffer at a time so the
// number of samples is fixed at 128
#define BUFFER_SIZE 128

// buffers for quadrature oscillator 1
float32_t Osc1_Q_buffer [BUFFER_SIZE];
float32_t Osc1_I_buffer [BUFFER_SIZE];
float32_t a1_buffer [BUFFER_SIZE];
float32_t b1_buffer [BUFFER_SIZE];
float32_t c1_buffer [BUFFER_SIZE];
float32_t d1_buffer [BUFFER_SIZE];
float32_t e1_buffer [BUFFER_SIZE];
float32_t f1_buffer [BUFFER_SIZE];

bool sine_flag1 = false;
int16_t IF_FREQ1 = AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_EXACT / 16;
bool dir1 = false;

// definitions for quadrature oscillator 2
float32_t NCO_FREQ = AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_EXACT / 16; // + 20;
float32_t NCO_INC = 2 * PI * NCO_FREQ / AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_EXACT;
float32_t OSC_COS = cos (NCO_INC);
float32_t OSC_SIN = sin (NCO_INC);
float32_t Osc_Vect_Q = 1.0;
float32_t Osc_Vect_I = 0.0;
float32_t Osc_Gain = 0.0;
float32_t Osc_Q = 0.0;
float32_t Osc_I = 0.0;
float32_t i_temp = 0.0;
float32_t q_temp = 0.0;
//float32_t Osc2_Q_buffer [BUFFER_SIZE];
//float32_t Osc2_I_buffer [BUFFER_SIZE];
/*
bool sine_flag2 = false;
//int16_t IF_FREQ2 = 5515;
int16_t IF_FREQ2 = AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_EXACT / 16; 
bool dir2 = true;
*/
// Decimation and Interpolation factor
#define DECIMATION_FACTOR 4

float32_t float_buffer_L [BUFFER_SIZE];
float32_t float_buffer_R [BUFFER_SIZE];
float32_t float_buffer_L_3 [BUFFER_SIZE];
float32_t float_buffer_R_3 [BUFFER_SIZE];

// This holds the samples output by the decimation
// and therefore there are a factor of 4 fewer samples
float32_t float_buffer_L_2 [BUFFER_SIZE / DECIMATION_FACTOR];
float32_t float_buffer_R_2 [BUFFER_SIZE / DECIMATION_FACTOR];

// determine the number of decimation and interpolation coefficients
// from the size of their arrays
const int N_DEC_COEFFS = sizeof(FIR_dec1_coeffs)/sizeof(FIR_dec1_coeffs[0]);
const int N_INT_COEFFS = sizeof(FIR_int1_coeffs)/sizeof(FIR_int1_coeffs[0]);

// decimation with FIR lowpass
arm_fir_decimate_instance_f32 FIR_dec1_L;
float32_t FIR_decim_state_L [N_DEC_COEFFS + BUFFER_SIZE - 1];
arm_fir_decimate_instance_f32 FIR_dec1_R;
float32_t FIR_decim_state_R [N_DEC_COEFFS + BUFFER_SIZE - 1];

// interpolation with FIR lowpass
arm_fir_interpolate_instance_f32 FIR_int1_L;
float32_t FIR_interp_state_L [(N_INT_COEFFS / DECIMATION_FACTOR) + BUFFER_SIZE - 1];
arm_fir_interpolate_instance_f32 FIR_int1_R;
float32_t FIR_interp_state_R [(N_INT_COEFFS / DECIMATION_FACTOR) + BUFFER_SIZE - 1];

// FIR filter
// determine the number of filter coeffs from the size of their arrays
const int N_FIR1_COEFFS = sizeof(FIR_lowpass1_coeffs)/sizeof(FIR_lowpass1_coeffs[0]);
arm_fir_instance_f32 FIR_lowpass1_L;
float32_t FIR_lowpass1_state_L [N_FIR1_COEFFS + BUFFER_SIZE - 1];
arm_fir_instance_f32 FIR_lowpass1_R;
float32_t FIR_lowpass1_state_R [N_FIR1_COEFFS + BUFFER_SIZE - 1];

/****************************************************************************************
 *  init IIR filters
 ****************************************************************************************/
// 2-pole biquad IIR - definitions and Initialisation
const int N_stages_biquad_lowpass1 = sizeof(biquad_lowpass1_coeffs)/sizeof(biquad_lowpass1_coeffs[0]) / 5;
float32_t biquad_lowpass1_state_L [N_stages_biquad_lowpass1 * 4];
float32_t biquad_lowpass1_state_R [N_stages_biquad_lowpass1 * 4];
arm_biquad_casd_df1_inst_f32 biquad_lowpass1_L = {N_stages_biquad_lowpass1, biquad_lowpass1_state_L, biquad_lowpass1_coeffs}; 
arm_biquad_casd_df1_inst_f32 biquad_lowpass1_R = {N_stages_biquad_lowpass1, biquad_lowpass1_state_R, biquad_lowpass1_coeffs}; 

// 10-pole biquad IIR - definitions and Initialisation
const int N_stages_biquad_lowpass2 = sizeof(biquad_lowpass2_coeffs)/sizeof(biquad_lowpass2_coeffs[0]) / 5;
float32_t biquad_lowpass2_state_L [N_stages_biquad_lowpass2 * 4];
float32_t biquad_lowpass2_state_R [N_stages_biquad_lowpass2 * 4];
arm_biquad_casd_df1_inst_f32 biquad_lowpass2_L = {N_stages_biquad_lowpass2, biquad_lowpass2_state_L, biquad_lowpass2_coeffs}; 
arm_biquad_casd_df1_inst_f32 biquad_lowpass2_R = {N_stages_biquad_lowpass2, biquad_lowpass2_state_R, biquad_lowpass2_coeffs}; 

// complex FFT with the new library CMSIS V4.5
const static arm_cfft_instance_f32 *S;
const int length_FFT = 256; 
float32_t FFT_buffer [length_FFT * 2] __attribute__ ((aligned (4)));

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  delay(1000);

// Audio connections require memory. and the record queue
  // uses this memory to buffer incoming audio.
  AudioMemory(100);

// Enable the audio shield. select input. and enable output
  sgtl5000_1.enable();
  sgtl5000_1.inputSelect(myInput);
  sgtl5000_1.volume(0.5);
  sgtl5000_1.adcHighPassFilterDisable(); // does not help too much!

/*  // Initialize the SD card
  SPI.setMOSI(7);
  SPI.setSCK(14);
  if (!(SD.begin(10))) {
    // stop here if no SD card. but print a message
    while (1) {
      Serial.println("Unable to access the SD card");
      delay(500);
    }
  }
*/
  pinMode( BACKLIGHT_PIN, OUTPUT );
  analogWrite( BACKLIGHT_PIN, 1023 );

tft.begin();
  tft.setRotation( 3 );
  tft.fillScreen(ILI9341_BLACK);
  tft.setCursor(10, 1);
  tft.setTextSize(2);
  tft.setTextColor(ILI9341_WHITE);
  tft.setFont(Arial_14);
  tft.print("Floating point audio processing");

/****************************************************************************************
 *  init FIR filters
 ****************************************************************************************/
    arm_fir_init_f32(&FIR_lowpass1_L, N_FIR1_COEFFS, FIR_lowpass1_coeffs, FIR_lowpass1_state_L,BUFFER_SIZE);
    arm_fir_init_f32(&FIR_lowpass1_R, N_FIR1_COEFFS, FIR_lowpass1_coeffs, FIR_lowpass1_state_R,BUFFER_SIZE);
 *  init decimation and interpolation filters
  if(arm_fir_decimate_init_f32(&FIR_dec1_L, N_DEC_COEFFS, DECIMATION_FACTOR, FIR_dec1_coeffs, FIR_decim_state_L, BUFFER_SIZE)) {
    Serial.println("Init of decimation failed");
    while(1);
  }
  if(arm_fir_interpolate_init_f32(&FIR_int1_L,  DECIMATION_FACTOR, N_INT_COEFFS, FIR_int1_coeffs, FIR_interp_state_L, BUFFER_SIZE/DECIMATION_FACTOR)) {
    Serial.println("Init of interpolation failed");
    while(1);  
  }
  if(arm_fir_decimate_init_f32(&FIR_dec1_R, N_DEC_COEFFS,  DECIMATION_FACTOR, FIR_dec1_coeffs, FIR_decim_state_R, BUFFER_SIZE)) {
    Serial.println("Init of decimation failed");
    while(1);
  }
  if(arm_fir_interpolate_init_f32(&FIR_int1_R, DECIMATION_FACTOR, N_INT_COEFFS, FIR_int1_coeffs, FIR_interp_state_R, BUFFER_SIZE/DECIMATION_FACTOR)) {
    Serial.println("Init of interpolation failed");
    while(1);  
  }
 *  init complex FFT
   switch (length_FFT) {
    case 16:
      S = &arm_cfft_sR_f32_len16;
      break;
    case 32:
      S = &arm_cfft_sR_f32_len32;
      break;
    case 64:
      S = &arm_cfft_sR_f32_len64;
      break;
    case 128:
      S = &arm_cfft_sR_f32_len128;
      break;
    case 256:
      S = &arm_cfft_sR_f32_len256;
      break;
    case 512:
      S = &arm_cfft_sR_f32_len512;
      break;
    case 1024:
      S = &arm_cfft_sR_f32_len1024;
      break;
    case 2048:
      S = &arm_cfft_sR_f32_len2048;
      break;
    case 4096:
      S = &arm_cfft_sR_f32_len4096;
      break;
  }

*  begin to queue the audio from the audio library
    delay(100);
    Q_in_L.begin();
    Q_in_R.begin();    
} // END SETUP

int16_t *sp_L;
int16_t *sp_R;

void loop() {

elapsedMicros usec = 0;
/**********************************************************************************
 *  Get samples from queue buffers
 **********************************************************************************/

// this is supposed to prevent overfilled queue buffers
    if (Q_in_L.available() > 3 || Q_in_R.available() > 3) {
      Q_in_L.clear();
      Q_in_R.clear();
      n_clear ++; // just for debugging to check how often this occurs
    }
    // is there at least one buffer in each channel available ?
    if (Q_in_L.available() >= 1 && Q_in_R.available() >= 1)
    {   
    sp_L = Q_in_L.readBuffer();
    sp_R = Q_in_R.readBuffer();

// convert to float
     arm_q15_to_float (sp_L, float_buffer_L, BUFFER_SIZE); // convert int_buffer to float 32bit
     arm_q15_to_float (sp_L, float_buffer_R, BUFFER_SIZE); // convert int_buffer to float 32bit
     Q_in_L.freeBuffer();
     Q_in_R.freeBuffer();

/**********************************************************************************
 *  Put 128 floating point samples into FFT buffer and set flag FFT_state when it is filled
 **********************************************************************************/
        for(int i = 0; i < BUFFER_SIZE; i++)
        {
            if(FFT_state == false) // FFT buffer not yet filled
            {
                FFT_buffer [samp_ptr] = (float32_t)float_buffer_L[i];    // get floating point data for FFT for spectrum scope/waterfall display
                samp_ptr++;
                FFT_buffer [samp_ptr] = (float32_t)float_buffer_R[i];
                samp_ptr++;

// On obtaining enough samples for spectrum scope/waterfall, update state machine, reset pointer and wait until we process what we have
                if(samp_ptr > length_FFT) 
                {
                    samp_ptr = 0;
                    FFT_state = true; // FFT buffer filled with length_FFT samples
                }
            }
        }

/**************************************************************************
 * From here, all the 32 bit float audio processing can start

*   This is the Weaver audio chain implemented by two quadrature oscillators
 *   and two IIR lowpass filters 
 *   For more info see: 
 *   http://csoundjournal.com/ezine/summer2000/processing/
 *   http://www.pa3ect.eu/start/weaver-derde-methode-ssb-visueel-uitgelegd/
 *   Summers, H. (2015): Weaver article library. – online: http://www.hanssummers.com/weaver/weaverlib [2015-12-06]
 *   Weaver, D. (1956): A Third Method of Generation of Single-Sideband Signals. – Proceedings of the IRE, Dec 1956.
 * *************************************************************************/
    // take the mono input signal and mix it with the I & Q outputs of a quadrature oscillator
    // running at (sampling frequency / 16) = 2757.4Hz 
      freq_conv1(); // complex shift by fs/16

// I & Q are now filtered with a lowpass filter with Fstop = 2750Hz --> which will lead to a Bandwidth of 2 x 2750Hz = 5.5kHz  
    // The lowpass filters are identical IIR biquad filters with 5 stages = 10th order
      arm_biquad_cascade_df1_f32 (&biquad_lowpass2_L, float_buffer_L,float_buffer_L_3, BUFFER_SIZE);
      arm_biquad_cascade_df1_f32 (&biquad_lowpass2_R, float_buffer_R,float_buffer_R_3, BUFFER_SIZE);

// The second quadrature oscillator runs at (sampling frequency / 16) PLUS the desired offset frequency
    // the two outputs of the oscillator (which are 90 degrees apart) are complex multiplied with I & Q
      freq_conv2(); 
    // We then take I & Q and simply add them together, the result is in float_buffer_R and is copied to float_buffer_L for mono output
      arm_add_f32(float_buffer_R, float_buffer_L, float_buffer_R, BUFFER_SIZE); // add I & Q
      arm_copy_f32 (float_buffer_R, float_buffer_L, BUFFER_SIZE); // copy to left audio chain --> Mono output of shifted signal

// THAT WAS THE WEAVER CHAIN !
// potential applications are:
// - Frequency shifting for passband tuning
// - SSB demodulation in Software defined radios without the need for phase shifting Hilbert transforms
// - 

/* 
  // decimation by 4 --> 44118 / 4 = 11029.5 sps, means that a 4.2kHz decimation filter is fine [should have -80dB at 5.5kHz]
      //  decimation filter FIR 80 taps, lowpass 4.2kHz, Parks McClellan, Window off, Transition width 0.1, 80dB stopband attenuation
      arm_fir_decimate_f32(&FIR_dec1_L, float_buffer_L, float_buffer_L_2, BUFFER_SIZE);
      arm_fir_decimate_f32(&FIR_dec1_R, float_buffer_R, float_buffer_R_2, BUFFER_SIZE);

// test filter 1 stage
//      arm_biquad_cascade_df1_f32 (&biquad_lowpass1_L, float_buffer_L_2,float_buffer_L_3, BUFFER_SIZE / DECIMATION_FACTOR);
//      arm_biquad_cascade_df1_f32 (&biquad_lowpass1_R, float_buffer_R_2,float_buffer_R_3, BUFFER_SIZE / DECIMATION_FACTOR);

// test filter 5 to 8 stages
//      arm_biquad_cascade_df1_f32 (&biquad_lowpass2_L, float_buffer_L_3,float_buffer_L_2, BUFFER_SIZE / DECIMATION_FACTOR);
//      arm_biquad_cascade_df1_f32 (&biquad_lowpass2_R, float_buffer_R_3,float_buffer_R_2, BUFFER_SIZE / DECIMATION_FACTOR);

// test FIR filter 200 taps
//     arm_fir_f32(&FIR_lowpass1_L,float_buffer_L_3, float_buffer_L_2, BUFFER_SIZE / DECIMATION_FACTOR);
//     arm_fir_f32(&FIR_lowpass1_R,float_buffer_R_3, float_buffer_R_2, BUFFER_SIZE / DECIMATION_FACTOR);

// interpolation by 4
      arm_fir_interpolate_f32(&FIR_int1_L, float_buffer_L_2, float_buffer_L, BUFFER_SIZE / DECIMATION_FACTOR);
      arm_fir_interpolate_f32(&FIR_int1_R, float_buffer_R_2, float_buffer_R, BUFFER_SIZE / DECIMATION_FACTOR);

// this IIR filter works in 44118sps ! Quite expensive in terms of CPU power
//      arm_biquad_cascade_df1_f32 (&biquad_lowpass2_L, float_buffer_L_3,float_buffer_L, BUFFER_SIZE);
//      arm_biquad_cascade_df1_f32 (&biquad_lowpass2_R, float_buffer_R_3,float_buffer_R, BUFFER_SIZE);

// scaling after interpolation ? multiply volume by DECIMATION_FACTOR seems to be a reasonable figure (output = input volume)
      arm_scale_f32 (float_buffer_R,(float32_t) DECIMATION_FACTOR,float_buffer_R, BUFFER_SIZE);
      arm_scale_f32 (float_buffer_L,(float32_t) DECIMATION_FACTOR,float_buffer_L, BUFFER_SIZE);
*/      
 * END of 32 bit float audio processing
 */
    sp_L = Q_out_L.getBuffer();
    sp_R = Q_out_R.getBuffer();
    arm_float_to_q15 (float_buffer_L, sp_L, BUFFER_SIZE); 
    arm_float_to_q15 (float_buffer_R, sp_R, BUFFER_SIZE); 
      Q_out_L.playBuffer(); // play it !
      Q_out_R.playBuffer(); // play it !

*  FFT
     if (FFT_state) {

//     arm_cfft_f32(S, FFT_buffer, 0, 1);
      }
 *  PRINT ROUTINE FOR ELAPSED MICROSECONDS

sum = sum + usec;
      idx_t++;
      if (idx_t > 1000) {
          tft.fillRect(240,50,90,20,ILI9341_BLACK);   
          tft.setCursor(240, 50);
          mean = sum / idx_t;
          tft.print (mean);
          Serial.print (mean);
          Serial.print (" microsec for 2 stereo blocks    ");
          Serial.println();
          idx_t = 0;
          sum = 0;

}

}
 *  PRINT ROUTINE FOR AUDIO LIBRARY PROCESSOR AND MEMORY USAGE
          if (five_sec.check() == 1)
    {
      Serial.print("Proc = ");
      Serial.print(AudioProcessorUsage());
      Serial.print(" (");    
      Serial.print(AudioProcessorUsageMax());
      Serial.print("),  Mem = ");
      Serial.print(AudioMemoryUsage());
      Serial.print(" (");    
      Serial.print(AudioMemoryUsageMax());
      Serial.println(")");
      Serial.print("Cleared the audio buffer ");    
      Serial.print(n_clear); Serial.println (" times. ");

/*      tft.fillRect(100,120,200,80,ILI9341_BLACK);
      tft.setCursor(10, 120);
      tft.setTextSize(2);
      tft.setTextColor(ILI9341_WHITE);
      tft.setFont(Arial_14);
      tft.print ("Proc = ");
      tft.setCursor(100, 120);
      tft.print (AudioProcessorUsage());
      tft.setCursor(180, 120);
      tft.print (AudioProcessorUsageMax());
      tft.setCursor(10, 150);
      tft.print ("Mem  = ");
      tft.setCursor(100, 150);
      tft.print (AudioMemoryUsage());
      tft.setCursor(180, 150);
      tft.print (AudioMemoryUsageMax());
     */ 
      AudioProcessorUsageMaxReset();
      AudioMemoryUsageMaxReset();
    }
   spectrum();
}

void spectrum() { // spectrum analyser code by rheslip - modified
     if (myFFT.available()) {
    int scale;
    scale = 2;
  for (int16_t x=2; x < 100; x+=2) {

int bar = (abs(myFFT.output[x]) * scale);
     if (bar >180) bar=180;
     // this is a very simple IIR filter to smooth the reaction of the bars
     bar = 0.2 * bar + 0.8 * barm[x]; 
     if (bar > peak[x]) peak[x]=bar;
//     tft.drawFastVLine(x, 210-bar,bar, ILI9341_PURPLE);
     tft.drawFastVLine(x*2+10, 210-bar,bar, ILI9341_PINK);

tft.drawFastVLine(x*2+10, 20, 210-bar-20, ILI9341_BLACK);    

tft.drawPixel(x*2+10,209-peak[x], ILI9341_YELLOW);

if(peak[x]>0) peak[x]-=1;
     barm[x] = bar;
  }
  } //end if

} // end void spectrum

/*************************************************************************************************
 *  FREQUENCY CONVERSION USING A SOFTWARE QUADRATURE OSCILLATOR
 *  THIS VERSION USES A PRECALCULATED COS AND SIN WAVE AND IS VERY FAST AND EFFICIENT
 *  MAJOR DRAWBACK: frequency conversion can only be done at sub-multiples of the sampling frequency
 *  large parts of the code taken from the mcHF code by Clint, KA7OEI, thank you!
 *    see here for more info on quadrature oscillators: 
 *  Wheatley, M. (2011): CuteSDR Technical Manual Ver. 1.01. - http://sourceforge.net/projects/cutesdr/
 *  Lyons, R.G. (2011): Understanding Digital Processing. – Pearson, 3rd edition.  
 *************************************************************************************************/
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Sine/cosine generation function
// Adjust rad_calc *= 32;  p.e. ( 44100 / 128 * 32 = 11025 khz)
// this can only generate frequencies in sub-multiples of the SAMPLE_RATE !
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/**
 */
void freq_conv1()
{
  uint     i;
  float32_t rad_calc;

if (!sine_flag1)  {  // have we already calculated the sine wave?
    for (i = 0; i < BUFFER_SIZE; i++) {  // No, let's do it!
      rad_calc = (float32_t)i;    // convert to float the current position within the buffer
      rad_calc /= (BUFFER_SIZE);     // make this a fraction
      rad_calc *= (PI * 2);     // convert to radians
      rad_calc *= IF_FREQ1 * 128 / AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_EXACT;      // multiply by number of cycles that we want within this block ( 44100 / 128 * 32 = 11025 khz)
      //
      Osc1_Q_buffer [i] = arm_cos_f32(rad_calc);  // get sine and cosine values and store in pre-calculated array
      Osc1_I_buffer [i] = arm_sin_f32(rad_calc);  // they are in float32_t format
    }
    sine_flag1 = 1; // signal that once we have generated the quadrature sine waves, we shall not do it again
  }

// Do frequency conversion using optimized ARM math functions [KA7OEI]
    // there seems to be something wrong here: I is real! Q is imaginary
    arm_mult_f32(float_buffer_L, Osc1_Q_buffer, c1_buffer, BUFFER_SIZE); // multiply products for converted I channel
    arm_mult_f32(float_buffer_R, Osc1_I_buffer, d1_buffer, BUFFER_SIZE);
    arm_mult_f32(float_buffer_L, Osc1_I_buffer, e1_buffer, BUFFER_SIZE);
    arm_mult_f32(float_buffer_R, Osc1_Q_buffer, f1_buffer, BUFFER_SIZE);    // multiply products for converted Q channel

if(!dir1)    // Conversion is "above" on RX (LO needs to be set lower)
    {
        arm_add_f32(f1_buffer, e1_buffer, float_buffer_R, BUFFER_SIZE); // summation for I channel
        arm_sub_f32(c1_buffer, d1_buffer, float_buffer_L, BUFFER_SIZE); // difference for Q channel
    }
    else    // Conversion is "below" on RX (LO needs to be set higher)
    {
        arm_add_f32(c1_buffer, d1_buffer, float_buffer_L, BUFFER_SIZE); // summation for I channel
        arm_sub_f32(f1_buffer, e1_buffer, float_buffer_R, BUFFER_SIZE); // difference for Q channel
    }

} // end freq_conv1()

/*************************************************************************************************
 *  freq_conv2()
 *  FREQUENCY CONVERSION USING A SOFTWARE QUADRATURE OSCILLATOR
 *  THIS VERSION calculates the COS AND SIN WAVE on the fly AND IS SLOW AND INEFFICIENT
 *  MAJOR ADVANTAGE: frequency conversion can be done for any frequency !
 *  large parts of the code taken from the mcHF code by Clint, KA7OEI, thank you!
 *    see here for more info on quadrature oscillators: 
 *  Wheatley, M. (2011): CuteSDR Technical Manual Ver. 1.01. - http://sourceforge.net/projects/cutesdr/
 *  Lyons, R.G. (2011): Understanding Digital Processing. – Pearson, 3rd edition.  
 *************************************************************************************************/

// INPUT  I = float_buffer_L_3
// INPUT  Q = float_buffer_R_3
// OUTPUT I = float_buffer_L
// OUTPUT Q = float_buffer_R
/*
void set_freq_conv2(float32_t NCO_FREQ) {
//  float32_t NCO_FREQ = AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_EXACT / 16; // + 20;
float32_t NCO_INC = 2 * PI * NCO_FREQ / AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_EXACT;
float32_t OSC_COS = cos (NCO_INC);
float32_t OSC_SIN = sin (NCO_INC);
float32_t Osc_Vect_Q = 1.0;
float32_t Osc_Vect_I = 0.0;
float32_t Osc_Gain = 0.0;
float32_t Osc_Q = 0.0;
float32_t Osc_I = 0.0;
float32_t i_temp = 0.0;
float32_t q_temp = 0.0;
}
*/
void freq_conv2()
{
  uint     i;
      for(i = 0; i < BUFFER_SIZE; i++) {
        // generate local oscillator on-the-fly:  This takes a lot of processor time!
        Osc_Q = (Osc_Vect_Q * OSC_COS) - (Osc_Vect_I * OSC_SIN);  // Q channel of oscillator
        Osc_I = (Osc_Vect_I * OSC_COS) + (Osc_Vect_Q * OSC_SIN);  // I channel of oscillator
        Osc_Gain = 1.95 - ((Osc_Vect_Q * Osc_Vect_Q) + (Osc_Vect_I * Osc_Vect_I));  // Amplitude control of oscillator
        // rotate vectors while maintaining constant oscillator amplitude
        Osc_Vect_Q = Osc_Gain * Osc_Q;
        Osc_Vect_I = Osc_Gain * Osc_I;
        //
        // do actual frequency conversion
        float_buffer_L[i] = (float_buffer_L_3[i] * Osc_Q) + (float_buffer_R_3[i] * Osc_I);  // multiply I/Q data by sine/cosine data to do translation
        float_buffer_R[i] = (float_buffer_R_3[i] * Osc_Q) - (float_buffer_L_3[i] * Osc_I);
        //
      }
} // end freq_conv2()

Filter_coeffs.h

Code:
// pass-thru coefficients
float32_t biquad_lowpass1_coeffs[5] = {1,0,0,0,0};

// lowpass elliptic 2.75kHz, IIR biquad 5 stages = 10 pole
// fs 44118Hz
// IIR Filter designer Iowa Hills
// a1 and a2 negated
// order of coefficients: b0, b1, b2, -a1, -a2
float32_t biquad_lowpass2_coeffs [25]= {

};

/*
// lowpass elliptic 4.0kHz, IIR biquad 6 stages = 12 pole
// fs 11027Hz
// IIR Filter designer Iowa Hills
// a1 and a2 negated
// order of coefficients: b0, b1, b2, -a1, -a2
float32_t biquad_lowpass2_coeffs [30]= {

};
*/
// FIR 200 taps, Raised Cosine 0.940
// Fc = 3.000kHz, 75dB stopband
// fs 44118Hz
// just to test if this works, 
// a 200 tap FIR is ridicously big and lots of calculation work for the processor
// --> it works !
float32_t FIR_lowpass1_coeffs[200] =
{ 94.97870007611338390E-9,
-1.009924021425136600E-6,
-3.955509751038522200E-6,
-8.167421170036924140E-6,
-12.23385614931934380E-6,
-14.14794389888045070E-6,
-11.83601267362507410E-6,
-3.874707993346245160E-6,
 9.784409190338859470E-6,
 27.31190087730911390E-6,
 44.93736028076724410E-6,
 57.46570395053866780E-6,
 59.37446254570318160E-6,
 46.32396853632215540E-6,
 16.75260847587800940E-6,
-26.87322881082111080E-6,
-77.58971029118251290E-6,
-124.5675198379420860E-6,
-154.9396363165045050E-6,
-156.6193065484440300E-6,
-121.5946328111847800E-6,
-48.95032523151913040E-6,
 53.22076923312532420E-6,
 167.7426457861406560E-6,
 270.5249246949471740E-6,
 334.8987951214899680E-6,
 337.4870793426350130E-6,
 264.4733746227138910E-6,
 116.8225367007839280E-6,
-87.00810636093507360E-6,
-311.9857878058807610E-6,
-511.4939298316222110E-6,
-635.9492759051854590E-6,
-643.6567497319431370E-6,
-511.7505262783362240E-6,
-244.6910091391752930E-6,
 122.0563006080398620E-6,
 524.7970382117916870E-6,
 881.2433438597264510E-6,
 912.4295155936849820E-6,
 467.1426447303733770E-6,
-146.0617101058849410E-6,
-820.2329826975067140E-6,
-832.6535950832496840E-6,
 138.4931805272558170E-6,
-67.40198731776092700E-6,
-117.1613956177577340E-6,
 500.2318515875483630E-6,
 500.2318515875483630E-6,
-117.1613956177577340E-6,
-67.40198731776092700E-6,
 138.4931805272558170E-6,
-832.6535950832496840E-6,
-820.2329826975067140E-6,
-146.0617101058849410E-6,
 467.1426447303733770E-6,
 912.4295155936849820E-6,
 881.2433438597264510E-6,
 524.7970382117916870E-6,
 122.0563006080398620E-6,
-244.6910091391752930E-6,
-511.7505262783362240E-6,
-643.6567497319431370E-6,
-635.9492759051854590E-6,
-511.4939298316222110E-6,
-311.9857878058807610E-6,
-87.00810636093507360E-6,
 116.8225367007839280E-6,
 264.4733746227138910E-6,
 337.4870793426350130E-6,
 334.8987951214899680E-6,
 270.5249246949471740E-6,
 167.7426457861406560E-6,
 53.22076923312532420E-6,
-48.95032523151913040E-6,
-121.5946328111847800E-6,
-156.6193065484440300E-6,
-154.9396363165045050E-6,
-124.5675198379420860E-6,
-77.58971029118251290E-6,
-26.87322881082111080E-6,
 16.75260847587800940E-6,
 46.32396853632215540E-6,
 59.37446254570318160E-6,
 57.46570395053866780E-6,
 44.93736028076724410E-6,
 27.31190087730911390E-6,
 9.784409190338859470E-6,
-3.874707993346245160E-6,
-11.83601267362507410E-6,
-14.14794389888045070E-6,
-12.23385614931934380E-6,
-8.167421170036924140E-6,
-3.955509751038522200E-6,
-1.009924021425136600E-6,
 94.97870007611338390E-9
};

//  decimation filter FIR 80 taps, lowpass 4.2kHz, Parks McClellan, Window off, Transition width 0.1, 80dB stopband attenuation
float32_t FIR_dec1_coeffs[80] = {
-142.9442739751772820E-6,
-252.2211831462206530E-6,
-347.5945623945052030E-6,
-321.0839601413753140E-6,
-97.22225175627986000E-6,
 326.3117239250896090E-6,
 836.1439112274239280E-6,
 590.9136933192837660E-6,
-520.3527006113926060E-6,
 590.9136933192837660E-6,
 836.1439112274239280E-6,
 326.3117239250896090E-6,
-142.9442739751772820E-6 };

float32_t FIR_int1_coeffs[80] = {
-142.9442739751772820E-6,
 326.3117239250896090E-6,
 836.1439112274239280E-6,
 590.9136933192837660E-6,
 590.9136933192837660E-6,
 836.1439112274239280E-6,
 326.3117239250896090E-6,
-142.9442739751772820E-6 };

/*
float32_t FIR_int1_coeffs[4] = {
 0.210904123894329720 };
*/

/*
// brickwall CW filter
// bandpass, elliptic, Fc=700Hz, BW=300Hz, -80dB at 522Hz, -80dB at 932Hz
// 8 stages IIR
float32_t biquad_lowpass2_coeffs [40]= {

};
*/

while I've never done Weaver SSB on the Teensy, we did use Weaver SSB on a TI DSP for a voice communication project. it is indeed an effective method for SSB.

I haven't tried your code, but if someone gets the Teensy Audio Board running at 96 kHz (ie, able to digitize up into the ultrasound), this Weaver SSB code could be used to pull the ultrasound down into the audible range. Listen to bats and mice!

Chip

Frank: Now that "Frank B" has got code working which changes the sampling rate of the SGTL5000, you can set the rate to 11025 and do away with the overhead of decimation and interpolation.
See this message.

Pete

@chip: thanks for the encouragement, I am looking forward to decode my first SSB signal with the Weaver method ;-).

For accurate determination of all the bat species we would need detection of frequencies from 18kHz to 125kHz, that means a minimum of 250ksps sample rate ;-). However, with 96ksps we would be able to hear some of the bats (as there still is a considerable no. of bats producing sound between 20 and 48kHz). If Frank B manages to get the SGTL5000 working with 192ksps ;-), that would be perfect and there would only be some of the very rare horseshoe bats missing, which produce sound in the upper range >96kHz. Also, bat hearing is possible by just mixing the incoming sound with a local oscillator --> heterodyning, but surely frequency shifting is much better. Maybe we should open a new "Bat detection"-thread?

@Pete: thanks for the hint, I have been checking that thread a few times and was very excited about the advancement :). Before I try setting to a lower sample rate, I have a few questions, but I think those fit better in the thread by Frank B, so I put them there!

Have fun,

Frank

As far as I know, it is not possible with Teensy 3.2. You need the floating point unit FPU in order to do the fast floating point math.

And that is present only in Teensy 3.5 or 3.6.

Frank,
I've been away from the forum for several months for health reasons, and just found this thread tonight. As it happens I have used the Weaver method for more years than I care to remember! (My senior design project in 1965 was a hardware ham-band SSB Weaver modulator/demodulator - I guess that dates me! :D Transistors were very new in those days.) More recently I've used software Weaver based projects to demonstrate audio processing in my graduate DSP classes.

Just before I fell ill (the big "C") in 2014, I had a 16-bit Weaver SDR working successfully on an Arduino Due, and while recovering in '15 and early '16 I got working it on the Teensy 3.2 with the Audio board/library, using my own RF front-end. Photos of 3.2 processor and RF boards:
sdr.jpgSDR1.jpg
Unfortunately I had to stop all development mid last year because of extreme fatigue, and I am still struggling to work more than an hour or so at a time. Right now I have the processor board torn down to make room for a 3.6 and hope to start wiring that next week. I still intend to use int16 code simply because I see no need for using floats. I have extended Paul's audio library sine generator to produce quadrature outputs, written decimate/interpolate routines, and am making several other enhancements to the audio library for SDR work. I don't want to release any software until I have this work complete.

I haven't had a chance to go through your code yet, but it seems to be be much longer than mine was :)

In the meantime I'll see if I can find any of my old lecture notes on Weaver and post them here tomorrow - including MATLAB implementation (if I can find it).

Derek

Last edited:
Hi Derek,

thanks for your photos, the parts look quite familiar to me. Your hardware setup seems to be very similar to mine: Antenna --> bandpass filters --> Si5351 LO plus Johnson counter with 7474 --> sample & hold QSD --> the four sampling caps --> 2 OP-Amps for the two audio I&Q outputs --> Teensy processing.

Great that it works with int16_t too! I use float mainly because that seemed to be the only way to get convolution working (for my "Teensy Convolution SDR"), apparently the FFT - complex multiply - inverse FFT chain on the Teensy needed float precision in order to produce acceptable results. However, I am not at all a fluent programmer, but a self made ham radio fan, so it´s more trial and error than focused coding that I am doing ;-). [that would also probably be the cause for my code being so much longer than yours . . . ;-)]

I would be very interested in your lecture notes, I have some beginning understanding of the Weaver method, but I am far from really understanding all this folding and negative/positive frequency stuff ! I have also used Octave a bit, so MATLAB code could run.

Would also be very interested in your work with the audio lib SDR extensions. I never managed to get decimation/interpolation to work with int16 processing, but again, I am at the very beginning of learning about these things, as my profession is in a totally different field.

Good luck and success with your SDR work! Would be very interested to hear about your progress!

All the best, Frank

Tutorial on Weaver method attached...

Hi Frank,
Well, that took much longer than I expected - everything that could go wrong did! Anyway, the promised material on the Weaver method is attached, BUT it is now much longer. I decided my old lecture notes were much too terse and relied too heavily on complex math, so I decided to start again from scratch and rewrite the whole thing using simple trig formulas! Big mistake - it grew and grew... and now is >20 pages. But I'm pretty happy with the final result: View attachment WeaverDocument.pdf
I also have the MATLAB Demo of Weaver Demodulation ready for upload, but the zip file with sample input and outputs is too large to upload to this site. If anyone is interested, PM me with your email and I'll attach the file and ship it to you. What it does is take a .wav (44.1 kHz sampling) file in which there are 5 SSB signals encoded in 4 kHz channels, as USB and LSB speech and music, 14 second snippets in a total of 20kHz bandwidth. I provide the MATLAB scripts (and listings) that decode the 5 signals, but for those who don't have MATLAB I also provide the audio outputs in .wav files.

I'm now getting back to the Teensy SDR stuff!

Last edited:
Just FYI - here's what I am doing re Teensy SDR and the Weaver demod:

I have been using Paul's Audio Library + the Audio Shield for the past year or so with good results, and have become reasonably good at modifying existing objects and writing new ones. The Weaver Demod, using the standard objects is easily coded as:
WeaverBlock.png
But since we are concerned about minimizing processing time (to allow for background tasks), I have been looking at writing different blocks to optimize for speed. In particular I have modified Paul's sine generator to produce a quadrature (sine/cosine) pair, modified the mixer block to produce a simple 2 input summer with no bells and whistles, and the same with the multiplier block.

I am now working on combining these three mods into a single block that takes the two filter outputs, internally generates the sin/cos oscillator pair, and does the multiplications and the summation/difference to produce the audio output. If the two quadrature filter outputs are cos(w1.t + phi) and sin(w1.t + phi), and the oscillator frequency is w0, the block will compute

y(t) = cos(w1.t + phi) x cos(wo.t) + sin(w1.t + phi) x sin(wo.t)
= 1/2 [(cos((w1-wo)t + phi) + cos((w1+wo)t + phi)] + 1/2 [(cos((w1-wo)t + phi) - cos((w1+wo)t + phi)]
= cos((w1-wo)t + phi)

or cos((w1+wo)t + phi) if a subtraction is used. In other words, it's a frequency shifter. (Of course, we will have to worry about digital aliasing if w1+w2 > w_Nyquist -- see the tutorial in my previous post.)

I'm proposing to make this block the basis for Weaver Demod in my SDR. I'll certainly post it when working...

I also have a decimator/interpolator pair of functions fully working with the audio library. Given the heavy low-pass filtering by the Weaver filters at <2000 Hz, it should be possible to decimate the 44.1 kHz data stream by a factor of 4, and interpolate the audio output by 4. I'll be trying this after the getting the demod object working.

Last edited:
Thanks Derek, and Frank, for the info. Derek, your Weaver method paper is really excellent.

On my to-do list is to move the DSP-10 2-meter radio to Teensy audio. I was going to play with decimation/interpolation that would be needed for that project, and your blocks will save me effort, for sure.

Switching that project to Weaver would potentially cut processing needs, as well, and is on the list.

Bob (W7PUA)

Derek, thats an awesome paper thats worth publishing! I have seen some explanations of Weaver but none of them were so clear and explicit about how to really implement the technique in combination with a standard QSD!
thanks a lot for that, all hams should know this paper.
Thats a great encouragement for me to really add this option to the Teensy Convolution SDR as a user-selectable alternative to convolution demodulation and filtering.
Bob, thats great zo hear, I read about the DSP-10 in EMRFD and thats really the ancestor of all/most SDR radio designs existing today.
would be exciting to hear about your progress!
if you want to go with floating point processing, have a look at the Teensy Convolution SDR code, I also often use decimation/interpolation there, if integer16 math is sufficient, Dereks blocks would be most interesting.
Good luck and progress, have fun with the Teensy in SDR&#55357;&#56841;

Frank DD4WH

Thanks Frank. I'm happy to distribute the tutorial, so feel free to pass it around. (Being the world's worst typist, I'm still finding typos of course.) I'm not sure where else I might post/publish it, it's not suitable for engineering research journals, and it's too long for a magazine article. Are there any ham sites, mags that might be interested?

BTW - I've finished the Teensy Weaver-demod audio library code - it was a lot simpler to write that I imagined. My current problem is that my prototyping Audio Shield seems to have departed this world! I can't even get demo software to run on it. I'm digging around for a spare!!!

Hi Every body,
I've just uploaded the first Weaver Mod/Demod Audio object: AudioWeaverModem to github and started a new thread on it here.

I'm very happy with how it is working and I will be delighted to have people play with it and make suggestions for improvement. As I said on the new thread, I'm working on a IIR version but am having a few problems with small word size oscillations with 16-bit coefficients and arithmetic.

I've finally learned github, so I'll be using it to maintain and distribute stuff. I'll be uploading a QSD demodulator later today.

Derek

Problem with the Weaver method implemented on the Teensy Audio board...

I've been using my Weaver demod audio object as my "daily driver" for SDR SSB demodulation for a couple of months now. It's working great, with one problem - which is in fact predicted in the analysis of the method.

The Weaver method requires DC coupling of the quadrature signal components after translation to baseband. The Teensy Audio board has a coupling capacitor of 2.2 ufd and an input impedance of 100k which create a high-pass filter with f_c of approximately 0.7 Hz. The effect of this is to create a virtual notch-filter (with a bandwidth of 1.5 Hz) in the demodulated spectrum at the final oscillator frequency (1500 Hz in my case).

Now, you might think that such a narrow notch would not cause any noticeable problem with the demodulated audio. The problem is that any narrow band notch filter has a transient response with a significant "ring" - ie a damped oscillation at the notch frequency - it's counter-intuitive! This can be explained through the poles and zeros of the notch-filter transfer function. Any noise spikes or sudden changes in the rf signal causes a "ringy" quality to the audio. It's very noticeable/annoying, and I've spent quite a bit of time looking at it on the 'scope and working on simulations to try to minimize the effect.

My simple fix for now is to put a smaller capacitor in series with the input to the Audio board, which increases the low-frequency cut-off frequency, broadening the width of the notch and increasing the damping of the oscillations in the audio. The effect is still there but not nearly as noticeable.

If anybody is interested I can let you have the full analysis. (You need to be familiar with linear system theory, and Fourier/Laplace transforms...)

Derek

I've been using my Weaver demod audio object as my "daily driver" for SDR SSB demodulation for a couple of months now. It's working great, with one problem - which is in fact predicted in the analysis of the method.

The Weaver method requires DC coupling of the quadrature signal components after translation to baseband. The Teensy Audio board has a coupling capacitor of 2.2 ufd and an input impedance of 100k which create a high-pass filter with f_c of approximately 0.7 Hz. The effect of this is to create a virtual notch-filter (with a bandwidth of 1.5 Hz) in the demodulated spectrum at the final oscillator frequency (1500 Hz in my case).

Now, you might think that such a narrow notch would not cause any noticeable problem with the demodulated audio. The problem is that any narrow band notch filter has a transient response with a significant "ring" - ie a damped oscillation at the notch frequency - it's counter-intuitive! This can be explained through the poles and zeros of the notch-filter transfer function. Any noise spikes or sudden changes in the rf signal causes a "ringy" quality to the audio. It's very noticeable/annoying, and I've spent quite a bit of time looking at it on the 'scope and working on simulations to try to minimize the effect.

My simple fix for now is to put a smaller capacitor in series with the input to the Audio board, which increases the low-frequency cut-off frequency, broadening the width of the notch and increasing the damping of the oscillations in the audio. The effect is still there but not nearly as noticeable.

If anybody is interested I can let you have the full analysis. (You need to be familiar with linear system theory, and Fourier/Laplace transforms...)

Derek

As DC coupling is a nightmare for amplification, your fix is not only simple but, IMO, the only one that is reasonable.
Yes,I would be interested in the full analysis
Walter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back