Bat detector

Thanks for replies on "what scale to use". For viewing the details of the sound in the higher frequencies the difference is not big. But it might help to stretch the band around the 20kHz. A lot of sound there what looks like noise. Stretching it (by use a logaritmic scale) + treshold (-3 dB point of the high-pass filter would be a good starter) like @wmxz says would probably help to get a better spread on the screen. Just my two cents from the field I am more familiar with (musical sound engineering).

Question about the software:
In the manual "TeensyBat User Manual V 1.3.pdf" it says on page 1:
"Right Button (R-Button). ........... Long press to write a screen capture to SD if card present."

It seems this is not working in the software version I use: TB_V131_T41_DEEPSLEEP_PWM.hex

Do I do something wrong? Do I need another version? Or is there a bug/omission?

Regards, Eef

Question about the software:
In the manual "TeensyBat User Manual V 1.3.pdf" it says on page 1:
"Right Button (R-Button). ........... Long press to write a screen capture to SD if card present."

It seems this is not working in the software version I use: TB_V131_T41_DEEPSLEEP_PWM.hex

Do I do something wrong? Do I need another version? Or is there a bug/omission?

Regards, Eef

Hi Eef,

This should work, be aware that you need to press the button for at least 2 seconds. When the screen has been recorded a * will appear on top of the screen.
The functionality is NOT available during replay or recording to SD.

If you have done this and the problem persists, than I suggest using the HEX 2: BASE with DEBUG enabled version. That will allow debugging potential problems over the serial-port.

cheers
Cor

This should work, be aware that you need to press the button for at least 2 seconds. When the screen has been recorded a * will appear on top of the screen.
The functionality is NOT available during replay or recording to SD.

Thank you, Cor. I did see the asterisk in the V-shape. And could see the bmp-file. Is there also a way to view the bitmaps on the teensybatdetector itself?

No, this is built in to document screens for debug purposes. So you will need to download the BMPs from the SDcard.

Thanks for reporting back !

Cor

I found a problem with the waterfall and spectrum display! After my update (Teensy 4.1) today, the display of a sound source stops about every 5 seconds but then continues again.

Regards

Jürgen

Last edited:
I found a problem with the waterfall and spectrum display! After my update (Teensy 4.1) today, the display of a sound source stops about every 5 seconds but then continues again.

Regards

Jürgen

Hi Jurgen,

I havent heard this yet so I wonder what causes this. The changes we have made recently should not affect the functionality of your display. Its for me unclear which version you are using and what settings (GPS/No GPS etc etc) are active. Difficult to say what causes your problem.

cheers
Cor

Hi Cor,

I use the version 4.1 from 19.04.22, the problem occurs with me also with the default settings. GPS is off.
The previous software had no problems with the display.

Regards

Jürgen

I did experience something similar after compiling the latest code. Somehow there was an older set of core files that I used. I recompiled right afterwards with #1.54-stable-release and the problem was gone (as far as I know) The file date inside the zipfiles on my website is 20/4.

Edwin

I did experience something similar after compiling the latest code. Somehow there was an older set of core files that I used. I recompiled right afterwards with #1.54-stable-release and the problem was gone (as far as I know) The file date inside the zipfiles on my website is 20/4.

Edwin

Hi Edwin

thanks for your quick reply, I had installed the old version of 16.04! Now everything is as it should.

Regards

Jürgen

Hi,

First of all, I’ve to say that I’m impressed by all the work you (and community) have done for making such a project a so efficient one !
There are many years I’m thinking about making a bat detector/sound translator, as I live in a region of France where we have many species to observe.

Last week, I assist a conference about bats with a professional naturalist, who had a sound translator and there, I return home thinking « I need to build one ». I was ready to leave start from 0 and I fall on your so beautiful diy project : instead of making mine, I prefer contribute (if I can) to your’s, that will not be the first time I join a community of hobbyists for making a project growing… I hope I could help here !

I’ve read almost all pages of this thread, but a doubt is still here : teensy 4.1, audio board, 2x8Mo memories and screen are ordered.
I’m able to make my own pcb, I download the gerber files of 0.2 version of the board but I’ve understood that a new version is available, but not the files. Is the teensy 4.1 compatible with 0.2 board, do I need 0.7 board, etc…

So, can someone tell me where to buy the new board and the mic needed ?

Thank you so much,

.Guillaume.
www.ateliercirconflexe.fr

Hi Le Gui. The new pcb - version 0.7 is only available etched and pre assembled with a lot of SMD components from Edwin's website, Teensybat.com, and comes complete with a microphone. The new pcb is the only one to support Teesny 4.1. Its showing as out of stock but drop Edwin a line and see when he is expecting a new delivery. I am just in the process of building a 0.7pcb with a teensy 4.1. Its my third Teensybat (2 x Teensy 3.6, 1 on pcb 0.1 and then 1 on 0.2). They are brilliant and the new software 1.31 is definitely the best yet. Good luck and I hope your Teesybat is as good as you expect.

Dear Guillaume,

Hollidaytime now, best is to contact Edwin, he sells DIY sets , board etcetera and did some modifications (also to the newest board for 4.1. )

I have build one about 2-3 months ago. You will be impressed when you are working with your ready build teensybatdetector!

Met vriendelijke groet, Eef

H.E. Weenink MBA

Many thanks guys for your answer ! :D

That confirm what I’ve understood, now I’m sure !
I’ll mail Edwin for buying him the kit, when he’ll have some to sell.

See you soon with my experience with teensybat !

Best regards,

.Guillaume.

Guillaume:

I am likewise interested in the newest Teensy 4.1 based PCB, so I contacted Edwin. Here is his kind reply (I removed some specific comments on current stock, etc. that may not necessarily remain true as this post ages):

Code:
Mon, Aug 1 at 9:50 PM
Hi Mark,

When I am home, I will put the materials I have in the parts shop. This will be in about two weeks.

Kind regards,

Edwin

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Many thanks, Mark !

I’ve contacted Edwin too, and had a similar answer.

For those who can ask themselves about the hardware, here is what I understood :

Teensy 3.6 + audio board + screen + pcb V0.2 = teensy bat (need external power) pcb V0.2 can be etched by yourself, or an online pcb maker.
Teensy 4.1 + screen + (optional) 2x8Mo ram + pcb 0.7 = teensy bat (audio board is built in pcb, power by 1S lipo)

I think I’ll have so much fun with this project, I’m like a child..

Has anyone had issues with wav files? I have tried to process some files through Kelidoscope and the program freezes up. Bat explorer demo seems to process them fine. I have sent a few recordings off for processing by a colleague through Bat Pipeline which is showing a wav file error message.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this issue?

I am using a v1.31 on a teensy 4.1 but I am using a custom PCB design.

Hi.

Can you share the errors ? You can do this via my normal mail so we dont fill up this forum completely.

cheers
Cor

I only have the free kaleidoscope on my computer and I can open wav files without any error. Also the BTO acoustic pipeline has been tested by one of the users and I also just used the first credit of my own by uploading a folder with one wav file.

GPS data and time/date is automatically detected, uploading did not give me any errors.
edit: I just got some results back, I did not see any errors.

Did you load a compiled hex file from the my website or Cor's Github, compile your own?

Kind regards,

Edwin

Last edited:
Thanks Cor and Edwin,
I have made a bit of a fool of myself I have not used BTO Pipeline myself before and just had the second hand report from a friend on the wav error. I have just downloaded myself and it all processed fine.

I'm afraid when I had had the issue with Kaleidoscope and then my friend reported a wav file issue with BTO Pipeline I jumped to the conclusion it was the detector but it appears not.

Apologies for the false alarm.
Kaleidoscope is still freezing straight after the first play through playing as a loud screech but going forward I will probably be using BTO and the recorders built in play ability.

Thanks all,
Sam

Hi Sam,

No problem and thanks for reporting, sometimes its not clear where errors originate. On the Kaleidoscope I cant judge what the problem is, maybe a samplerate it doesnt use or other "meta-data" in the WAV file ?

Have fun using the Teensybat

Cor

Kaleidoscope indeed seems to have problems playing your files.

Older Teensybat files play fine but I did not check if these were the same samplerate, maybe there is something in the file Kaleidoscope does not expect. I am quite sure we are following WAV specifications but there can always be some mistake somewhere. I can not tell where that mistake is at, it could just as wel be at in kaleidoscope.

Playback seems to produce just a lot of digital noise when using Kaleidoscope.

About the BTO pipeline, I also had a hiccup trying to upload last lights 3GB of data. On a second try that worked just fine.

Edwin

Edit:
It seems to be sample rate related, Kaleidsocope does not promise it can handle files for other devices.
352kHz seems to work also 176 and 192kHz seem to work, I did not test lower samplerates but 234, 281 and 384 seem to be samplerates Kalseidoscope can not handle properly.

Last edited:
Hi everybody !

I've received all parts, and built TeensyBat. Wow !!!
Really better that I could expect !!! You made such a big hard job to make everything going like this !

Thanks again for all !!!!

I have a question : I just made the mod for battery monitoring. How can I see that it is ok ?
I have done all like described, nothing went wrong, but when I power up the TeensyBat, there is no battery indicator...
fixbatmon-2.jpg

Any idea ?

Thanks a lot !

Hi everybody !

I've received all parts, and built TeensyBat. Wow !!!
Really better that I could expect !!! You made such a big hard job to make everything going like this !

Thanks again for all !!!!

I have a question : I just made the mod for battery monitoring. How can I see that it is ok ?
I have done all like described, nothing went wrong, but when I power up the TeensyBat, there is no battery indicator...

Any idea ?

Thanks a lot !

Hi,

I am planning to release a new version of the code in a few days that has some bugs resolved and allows monitoring the battery if the right chip is installed.
This forum will be informed when the hex becomes available, Edwin, Willem and Thierry have been testing in the past weeks.

cheers
Cor

Back