Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Bat detector

Quote Originally Posted by CorBee View Post
    Hi,

The amplitude will be depending on the distance from the key-ring to your detector, the loudness of your ring (intensity), the gain for the one-transistor amplifier (which design ?) and the mic_gain setting of the teensy_batdetector .

One thing you can try to get a bit better understanding of the sensitivity is listening to for instance a constant high frequent signal coming from many devices with clocks inside. I have for instance an audio-player that emits this signal and I can pick it up about a meter away or so ... depending on the gain I use. Or a programmable timer (to switch appliances) will also. When you have a good and reliable source you can start recording/testing your device settings against that.

Cor

EDIT: this is my current 1-transistor amplifier (BC547=BC550c)
    Attachment 17298
    I use almost the same
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mic amp.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	17299
    /bengt

Quote Originally Posted by benlenkar View Post
    I use almost the same

Name:	Mic amp.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	17299
    /bengt
    I think Edwin has removed C2 from his design later on. But the simulation with LT-spice does show this is probably not going to change the amplification

Quote Originally Posted by CorBee View Post
    I think Edwin has removed C2 from his design later on. But the simulation with LT-spice does show this is probably not going to change the amplification
    Yes I removed C2, it was supposed to "short" RF signals to ground.
    Working with the opamp amplifier it just seemed to pick up display update noise so I chose not to place it.

Also C1 can be changed, If you want to attenuate lower frequency sounds you can lower the value of C1. I guess you should not bring it below 220pF
    I do like 220pF myself but you can notice a bit less gain on 20Khz which is not a big problem because the microphones alleady have stronger signals on lower frequencies.

For the microphone, if you have it inside the box, create a seal between the microphone and the box.
    Do not use it inside the box just behind a small hole.

I use a cone that I can screw into the box. The cone is because it seems like the microphone behind a "long" audio channel does not work best. The cone also provide some amplification.

I added a picture.

On the left the construction I use,
    the second is a microphone behind a hole in the box. I do not recommend that.
    The third is a microhone in the box but with a seal, If you can construct that it, it is fine. (do not use a thick seal)
    The fourth picture is what I would suggest of the box wall is quite thick
    picture number five is just keeping the microphone outside the box.

Name:	micoptions.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	17314

I do not have any commercial detector so I can not compare.
    I was on a bat excursion two days ago, at some moments it seemed my own build picked up earlier, at other times the 300 euro commercial device picked up better.
    We were a few meters apart so maybe that also made some difference.

Edwin