Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24

Thread: Bat detector

I'll follow-up via PM but in the meantime I put a summary on my website:
    https://www.zachpoff.com/resources/d...-bat-detector/
    Many thanks to Edwin and Cor for making this tool possible. As time goes on I'll update with audio samples.

Hi Zach,

Thanks for sharing! Lets hope this encourages more people to hear bats and other animals. On your great webpage I also see you have experience with hydrophones, one of my hopes is that we can also develop a "hydrophone" mode for this detector. That is one of the reasons for me to use mics that are in mounted in a microphone connector so I can (whenever I build a hydrophone) just connect a cable on that point.

looking forward for the coop,

Cor

Looks very nice Zach.

If you want to try and get rid of the 23khz noise, it might be a good try to use an other microphone. In the pictures I see you use the ICS microphone which seems to have a similar issue as the SPU. The frequency does seem to be slightly different though.

I also have a recording made with the same type of microphone using an alc4040 (from a maono elf pro AU-410H, I do not recommend dismantling one!)
    (I hope to try and see if I can also use ALC4042 and ALC4050 soon, these are available as micro USB boards)

This first one is in a quiet room without switching powersupplys and lights off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23khz.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	20800

This second one is with my faucet aerator (perlator) noise generator.
    My recorder (raspberry) was quite close as well and I did not bother about the led lights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23khzgen.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	20801

You can see that signals around 23khz are always more present that other frequencies.
    The microphone is amplified by a similar circuit as what I use in the teesny.

Anyway, I feel it is safe to say that the 23khz is not coming from the teensy or how it is built. We should search for it in the microphone or maybe in the amplifier circuit. It would be nice if someone had an other type of microphone like Knowles FG and record some files with the teensy.
    (I protected my microphone, amplifier and codec in epoxy resin, so I can not test without the amplifier)

Kind regards,

Edwin

Wrapping up code development for V1.0

Hi,

Edwin (THANKS !!) and I are currently working on testing a completely renewed version of the TeensyBatdetector. Several of the requests posted in the forum have found a place in this version (v1.0).
    You will see that for instance setting the date/time has become a simple procedure as you can now edit those on a lower level (hours/minutes or year/month/days) in the menu.
    Another major change is that you can start recording in WAV, this makes the usage of the files in Audacity a lot simpeler.
    Since this is a real update there are a lots of additions and changes. The interface has - we hope - become more intuitive, clearer.
    One of the real new features is a high-pass filter that you can use and adjust. In our tests this has proven helpfull when you are in a noisy environment. Think of a warm summer evening where crickets and grasshoppers are filling the air with noise but you want to hear a possible distant bat passing ... the hipass allows you to suppress the cricket-sounds allowing you to hear those distant bats.

Those that cant wait for the release (hopefully available in a couple of weeks) and are interested in testing the current beta please PM me.

regards,

Cor
    Last edited by CorBee; 07-27-2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo

Hi,

For those interested, you can download the beta version of the TeensyBatDetector V1.0 from https://github.com/CorBer/teensybat_V1_beta
    This is NOT yet the finished product so you might encounter issues. Please report them directly to me so I can try to solve them

regards
    Cor