Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36

Thread: Bat detector

There is no error message in Audactiy. It could be because of the formatting of the SD card. Formatted the SD with the standard allocation unit under Windows. I reformatted it with a 32kb cluster size. So far, the error has not occurred, even with 90 minutes of recording time for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Helge View Post
    There is no error message in Audactiy. It could be because of the formatting of the SD card. Formatted the SD with the standard allocation unit under Windows. I reformatted it with a 32kb cluster size. So far, the error has not occurred, even with 90 minutes of recording time for testing.
    Nice to hear that ! Good info for people that still have to format the SDcards.

Hi,

I have a suggestion for coming updates of the software. I would like to have the possibility to choose and indicate a frequency in the waterfall screen.

I think it can be helpful for identification of certain bats.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teenst suggestion.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	728.7 KB 
ID:	25149
    /Anders

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion but I wonder how that would help identification. But maybe you do have a clear idea for this. Showing a "line" in the graph for a given frequency is in my view not very necessary as we do have a scale on the top of the graph.

kind regards
    Cor

Hi,

I believe the line could help for a quick reference of the different Pipistrelle, Eptesicus and Vespertilio spieces. For me (living in the middle of Sweden) it could help to pinpoint possible rare parti coloured bats among the abundant northern bats (anything below 27kHz is interesting).

Since the scale is on the top of the screen and the sound is first shown in the bottom it is quite long way to aim and "guesstimate" the frequency of the call when it appears.

I have been thinking to put a taped line on the screen but if I change the screen sampling frequency the line will be in the wrong spot.

So if it can be one option in the software I think it might be helpful.

Best regards
    Anders

I am not convinced this is going to help much. What I will consider is having a scale at the bottom of the graph to mimick the scale above.
    But this does probably not look very tidy. For what I know of bats most species are not that simple to discern by a simple frequency-scale. We have the rythm of the calls (interpulse time), the sweep of the call (hi-lo), maximum peak etc etc. That all are necessary to "guesstimate" different species.

BTW: your screen seems to suggest that you are using an older version with numbered calls instead of the YYYYMMDDTHHMMSS.wav that we have recently added to the software. Which version are you using ?

regards
    Cor

Name:	20210628T194526.JPG 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	25153
    This shows a possible way to allow a scale at the bottom, Ive added this to the current development-code we are working on.
    If this stays you can simply set the "bottom-scale" variable with a size, in the example the size is 2. That gives a 2 pixels
    high scale. The waterfall will not scroll in that zone so the scale is permanent and will follow the upper-scale.

cheers
    Cor
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name:	20210628.JPG 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	25154
    Or like this with the scale set to 5. Hope that will be helpfull.

regards
    Cor

Hi All
    I just wanted to say thanks for a great detector. I've got some great recordings of most of the bat species in my area.
    I'm new to using Teensy, but I was wondering about the practicallities of introducing a sleep mode so that the detector could be left out for longer periods, only waking to record during specified times. I get 2 nights on internal battery now without having implemented the screen-off mods, which I will do at some point. Alternatively, rather than a full sleep, perhaps it would be possible to just not process sound between specified times whilst in auto record mode (presumably this would save battery?)

Thanks

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanHoyle View Post
    Hi All
    I just wanted to say thanks for a great detector. I've got some great recordings of most of the bat species in my area.
    I'm new to using Teensy, but I was wondering about the practicallities of introducing a sleep mode so that the detector could be left out for longer periods, only waking to record during specified times. I get 2 nights on internal battery now without having implemented the screen-off mods, which I will do at some point. Alternatively, rather than a full sleep, perhaps it would be possible to just not process sound between specified times whilst in auto record mode (presumably this would save battery?)

Thanks

Duncan
    Hi Duncan,

This is one of the things we want to see how it can be done in a stable manner. There is a good sleep/snooze library for teensy but it will need proper testing. The screen-off modification will be helpfull as the TFT does use quite a bit of current. We could allow a user-set slot "time" that will make the system shut down as much as possible and only wake up to "kick" a watchdog function. The latter is often a wise way to make sure a device doesnt fall into an "eternal" sleep.

On your remark to try "not processing" sounds in auto_record, the whole concept of auto_record is that we only try to record to the SD when a sound is present in the "ultrasonic" part of the spectrum. We cannot "guess" that without the data this will need continous processing.

But keep feeding us with ideas/remarks on the usage of the system. I cannot yet show our recent "adventures" in the development but things are moving nicely forward and many of the things we hoped for seem possible in the next iteration of the TeensyBat.

cheers
    Cor
    Last edited by CorBee; 07-13-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CorBee View Post
    Hi Duncan,

This is one of the things we want to see how it can be done in a stable manner. There is a good sleep/snooze library for teensy but it will need proper testing. The screen-off modification will be helpfull as the TFT does use quite a bit of current. We could allow a user-set slot "time" that will make the system shut down as much as possible and only wake up to "kick" a watchdog function. The latter is often a wise way to make sure a device doesnt fall into an "eternal" sleep.

On your remark to try "not processing" sounds in auto_record, the whole concept of auto_record is that we only try to record to the SD when a sound is present in the "ultrasonic" part of the spectrum. We cannot "guess" that without the data this will need continous processing.

But keep feeding us with ideas/remarks on the usage of the system. I cannot yet show our recent "adventures" in the development but things are moving nicely forward and many of the things we hoped for seem possible in the next iteration of the TeensyBat.

cheers
    Cor
    Thanks for the reply.
    When I said not processing sounds in auto_record I meant only outside of the times when bats will be active - eg. stop processing between 7am and 9pm (user configurable of course). This would essentially mean starting and stopping auto_record mode on a timer, although it wouldn't be needed if full sleep/snooze is implemented.
    This Raspberry Pi detector https://github.com/cloudedbats/cloudedbats_wurb_2020 can use an attached GPS to schedule start and end times according to sunset/sunrise times, which is a very nice feature for saving power if required.

Hi,

We have a GPS in the system working fine and I am sure that with some advanced algorithm we could use the latest record position as a "guesstimate" for the sunset/sunrise. But I think that its something a user can set very easily as this probably will not be a device you will leave around for a few months (if a battery anyway would last that long).
    But we indeed intend to add a complete sleep/snooze, no code has been tested on this yet. I have seen a few threads on this forum that point towards proper ways to implement this.

cheers
    Cor