Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Bat detector

Hi CorBee,

The purpose of my developments is slightly different. I go to different people in France who study bats and they face hardware problems. Finance is becoming scarce and the equipment remains very expensive. Or, they have needs that do not exist such as accurate species monitoring. It is with this in mind that I started the development of detectors with the provision of a manufacturing files and setting up participatory workshops. In this context, I developed the following detectors:
    - RhinoLogger to monitor the activity of the bands of Rhinolophus, mainly ferrumequinum. About 40 devices were built at several workshops and they equip sites in western and central France. With Passive Recorder, this device will now be used for this type of study.
    - PiBatRecorder, a recorder for active Heterodyne listening and passive recording. Built with a Raspberry Pi A + card and an audio card the sampling frequency was only 192kHz. We built 12 copies before the audio card was no longer available. As a result this project is abandoned.
    - Passive Recorder, based on the Teensy 3.6 card, offers up to 500kHz sampling frequency and, in addition to the classic passive recording, offers recording modes specific to the Vigie-Chiro project. About 55 copies exist today, at least 20 in Germany and 35 in France (the last 10 built yesterday during a workshop) and I still have 3 workshops of 10 copies planned by the end of April. Given the price (105 €), demand is strong. The main brake is to come to manufacture in the FabLab at Chemillé in Anjou (near Angers). Several projects are trying to carry out workshops elsewhere in France but, for the moment, only Frank has succeeded in Germany (naturalists are not technicians). I do not despair that some people, after participating in one of my workshops, can reproduce elsewhere.
    - Bat Player, an ultrasound reader based on the Teensy 3.6 card. It allows replaying wav files recorded with other recorders. It is intended for debugging and verification of recorders, assisting with acoustic training or bat animations. 15 copies exist, 12 of which were made during a workshop and one by Frank in Germany. It is essential for the development of my detectors.

I have heard at least 1 copy of these devices but I do not use much, except for the development. They are mainly used by amateurs or professionals. Consequently, except for the RhinoLogger, they must respect the method used in France for the acoustic identification developed by Michel Barataud in his book "Ecologie acoustique" which is the bible in France for this type of study.

Regards,

Jean-Do.

Hi Jean-Do,

We have one common goal, make studying bats with detectors easier. I was on the path of the piBatDetector also but the moment I had time to build that the audiocard was gone. I am happy it did ... that way I kept looking around and finally found the work Frank had done allready. I am mainly working on the software as my hardware skills are limited, I have build several heterodynes in the past but cant handle tiny components like some of you do

I am currently changing the code I have worked on last autumn to become easier to use, that work will be mainly on the menu and the way you can make selections etc. But I do have plans to improve the auto_TE part of the detector further.

regards
    Cor

Hi Cor,

Concerning the management of modifiers of parameters and modes of operation, I realized a library which allows me to manage this part very easily. It is Teensy and ESP32 compatible. It normally handles any type of screen but I tested only on 2 OLED types 128x64 pixels. I have not published it yet but I will do it soon.

For Surface Mounted Components (SMD), I had no skill ... before trying! Unfortunately, we are forced to use them, the classic components being rare for some.
    And, in fact, while remaining within reasonable dimensions, it's quite easy to solder, even MEMS microphones that have an unreachable solder (between the component and the PCB), are quite easy to solder with an air soldering iron as explained in the document "FabMicroMEMS.pdf". I just tested the assembly of a new MEMS found by Frank and the technique works.

Concerning live auto_TE listening, I am not convinced by this technique that I have experimented with an EM3+. It's already complicated at home in front of the computer (especially me with my old ears), so I prefer the heterodyne which gives an idea of the species and allows to decide if the operator must register it for subsequent analysis. Of course, I only ask to be contradicted!

I prefer to test automatic determination methods to either memorize the activity as on the RhinoLogger with easy-to-determine species, or trigger recordings on suspicions of species to target particular species. I think the future is for this type of recorder that allows long poses (several weeks to several months) to sample at length certain species and thus facilitate studies of behaviors. And this type of recorder does not present a sufficient market for interested professional builders.

Regards,

Jean-Do.

Hi Jean-Do,

I suggest just trying the Auto_TE the current setup can deliver. I can walk through my garden listening to several species of crickets and suddenly notice that a bat is flying around. Alternatively on a holiday location I suddenly realized that there were not only two different bats flying around but they were also different species as the audible clicks where very different and easy to distinguish in auto_TE. Next step then was to record them and look at the real data. Auto_TE is not necessarily the best instrument to detect/identify (you can even miss temporary clicks) but it can be helpfull and for new-bat enthusiasts it brings more information than listening to clicks. Its more like listening to birds, there songs are very different but if you were to only look at their silouet (never tried heterodyne on them they are more difficult to distinguish. But this is my view after playing around with this for some time.

regards
    Cor