Maximum 5v supply current on prop shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building a project using the APA102 LED strip (60 LED), and I want to power the strip from the right hand end with the GRD, LED_CLK, LED_DAT, 5v and supply the other end with a ADA Fruit LiPo power supply at 5v and GRD. I know the ADA fruit can put out at least 1000 mA, and the APA102 can draw a it more then that at full brightness. Will the prop shield safely carry the current through the 5v and Grd power rails, or should I run bypass wires end to end?

I'm loving the Teensy boards, they have so much more horse power then the Arduinos and are easy to work with.

found quote from Paul:

I designed the PCB with 4 layers specifically to have a dedicated GND and 5V plane able to conduct a lot of current for the LEDs and audio amp, and hopefully distribute it and keep the return path very close inside the PCB so minimal magnetic field is created (interfering with the magnetometer).

As a quick test, I just passed 2 amps through a board here, from one end to the other. GND to GND measures 10 mV with 2 amps flowing. 5V to 5V measures 12 mV with 2 amps.

SEARCH TIP - use web search:
I went to BING.COM and searched for this: "pjrc.forum prop shield 2 amps"

This post was the FIRST result

Last edited:
Yup, 2 amps it the recommended max. The prop shield is a 4 layer board with dedicated ground and power planes, which are there to let you pass quite a lot of current. Two amps is a soft limit or general guideline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back