Active voltage divider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddson

I'd like to make an expression pedal with a hall-effect sensor that can mimic a voltage divider where the voltage to be divided is not necessarily the same as Teensy's signal voltage.

The two methods that occur to me are:

1) a digital potentiometer controlled directly by the Teensy as an actual voltage divider

2) some sort of control circuit that applies a fixed gain to a filtered PWM output signal from the Teensy -- where the gain is the ratio of the external rail voltage and Teensy's operating voltage

I just can't figure how to set the gain to the ratio of the two reference voltages.

Any comments on how to realize the second approach (or anything better)?

Some observations since posting:

Digital potentiometer originally seemed like overkill but they are cheap at a resolution that can match the effective resolution of the sensor (especially as most of the time they'll get turned into 7-bit midi anyway) ...this is now my fallback

There are analog multiplier/divider chips that implement a generalized transfer function that can output y=xv/u -- but they are NOT cheap (which is weird as they're fairly modest circuits).

I could probably figure out the originally sought after control circuit from op-amps and discreet components but it occurs to me it might better to convert the signal voltage while its still digital and then low-pass the output to a smooth control voltage.

This is easy enough if I could assume the voltage to divide would be <=5 volts but I think it might be beneficial to support at least to 10 volt and maybe 12 volt.

Still open to suggestions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back