ArduCam OV5642 and T36

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctic_Eddie

Well folks, I've repeated one of my earlier mistakes by letting my exuberance get one step ahead of my research. I purchased an OV5642 camera to be used in a security/surveillance project. I expected the camera to work with the existing libraries but discovered that they are written for the mini shield version and not just the camera board. The shield uses SPI and the camera uses I2C and 10 bits for raw data.

At the moment, I have the I2C_T3 scanner running but find no devices even though the camera data sheet shows a write address of 0x78 and a read address of 0x79. Neither of these show up in the scanner. I've left all of the other camera pins unconnected and use A4/A5 with external pullups as the sketch states.

I see several choices in solving this problem. First, send the camera back to China for a refund but the shipping will probably consume the credit. Second, look for an interface board, if it exists, which will likely double my cost. Also, buy another camera with the mini shield and make it work on the T36, also double the cost. Finally, use the existing library and write my own code to work through the I2C interface.

What I need now is just a little nudge in the direction likely to achieve success. The easiest would be to buy the mini shield version of the camera. Has anyone worked with this camera in it's raw form?

Not much progress yet. I confirmed that the scanner is working by connecting an Adafruit 7-seg display at 0x70 and getting an ACK in return. I did get a clue on another forum stating that the camera XCLK has to be connected. The camera spec sheet states the frequency range is 6-27MHz. The best I can do so far is to use the FrequencyTimer2 library and set the period to one yielding 1MHz. However, still no response from the camera and don't know if the out of range XCLK is the cause or something else. Is there a way to get the T36 to output a free running square wave in the 20-24MHz range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back