Teensy Gamepad + Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmocodes

So I'm planning on doing this (https://goo.gl/4tO8cf) to build a USB SNES controller because why not. Seems easy enough. But I want to know if I can somehow put a micro SD card in the controller so I can use it as both a controller and a mass storage device (if that makes any sense). The Teensy 2.0 wouldn't be writing/reading any files to the card, so it wouldn't even have to know it exists.

If that made no sense, just say and I'll try to iterate it better.

Why not indeed - thanks for the link - I saw those controllers on eBay and wondered about building on them. That link shows a link - in the comments - to an Adafruit version. Two ways to do the same thing.

What they both have in common is - the Nintendo cable goes away and what comes out is a USB cable to a Teensy. The Teensy is wired in to the switches reads and reports their state as a USB (joystick or Mouse/keyboard?) device.

Given that, an SD card in the controller would be of no use if the Teensy wasn't talking to it. And if the Teensy was talking to it would have to be reprogrammed to appear as a mass storage device to switch tasks. And programming it as a mass storage device is not something I have seen - though I've never looked at a T_2.

Teensy 2 did have a USB mass storage mode, though didn't personally use it so can't say how well it worked. Would suggest the most painless way to do it would actually be to gut a USB hub and daisy chain the Teensy off that, and then you can plug in anything else you want (current demands depending). Not as compact as using a micro controller but much quicker to get working.

A USB hub inside the controller would be a bit large? And I don't think the Teensy can run the USB Storage Program and the controller program at the same time (right?).

The guts of a USB hub is quite small, but yes some butchery of the PCB would be happening going that route. Mainly suggest it since would get there in reasonable sized steps to be an interesting project. Getting pretty much anything to both be mass storage and a USB HID device will be a serious adventure unless something has come along recently. It is certainly possible and serious designers do it regularly but unsure of any hobby level board that has everything in one place ready to go. Noteable that current projects needing USB host functionality are settling towards the Pi Zero as tool of choice, not recommending that path but is an indicator of what other people chasing down this line of thought are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back