Arduino 1.6.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this cheap clone in my box of spare parts. But I can't get it to work with either library. :(

tmp.jpg

I found this cheap clone in my box of spare parts. But I can't get it to work with either library. :(
Does that display have a second set of pins on the other side? On mine, there were two sets of pins. One set had been soldered (with 11 pins), but I never could get them to work. I eventually tried the second set of pins on the other side (8 pins), and those worked with the Adafruit driver. I eventually just clipped off the first set of pins, so I wouldn't use them by accident.

However, it looks like other ebay sellers only have pins on one side.

Last edited:
If so it might be the BLACK header spacer version KurtE just got and last I saw it was not working for him?

@KurtE - if your looks like that you didn't get what I have.

ili9163c's I got were all yellow header and the PCB has more traces up higher away from the silkscreen - the V1.1 and other silk screening is similar - except the blurry end silkscreen isn't there and I don't have what looks to be the four display corner holes.

If so it might be the BLACK header spacer version KurtE just got and last I saw it was not working for him?

@KurtE - if your looks like that you didn't get what I have.

ili9163c's I got were all yellow header and the PCB has more traces up higher away from the silkscreen - the V1.1 and other silk screening is similar - except the blurry end silkscreen isn't there and I don't have what looks to be the four display corner holes.
As some have already mentioned:

@Pauls display: Looks like what I see in the pictures for the earlier "Red" ILI9163 displays.

As for my 3 I purchased well, currently I have no clue what they are... They look like the "Black" version of the display, except it says 2.1 instead of 1.1... For now I shall punt! I never heard anything back from MDFLY. Sent to questions@mdfly.com as well as to webmaster@mdfly.com

This post on sumotoy thread showed the first new red board yellow header: ILI9163C-128x128-TFT-driver. You can see the diff's I noted in PCB traces and subtle silkscreen change - from "box of spare parts's" suggests it is older.

That 'yellow header' matches the supported ones I got (post #77) for $4 on eBay - out of stock but items and pictures still alive now

The links on sumotoy github to alternate eBay 'header colors' have gone off - so can't see what earlier PCB versions looked like.

those are the 'old' ili9163c screesn, as i have multiple of them, and all work with somutoy's ili9163c dma library on a teensy 3.2. haven't tested on a teensy 3.6 yet

note regarding the pics:
i desoldered the voltage regulator and closed jumper J1 so it works on 3.3V only.

img1.png

img2.png

As I mentioned the ones I have are marked 2.1...
ILI9163_maybe2.jpg

I tried to disassemble one of them to see if I could see any chips or the like, but really don't see much of anything:
L1000351.jpg

The only thing that does not look like cable is that little thing on the one edge connecting to two wires:
the other side of the small part of the ribbon cable shows a number: RX14402.6.01-A0

For right now I will probably just punt! But did see some Red ones marked 2.1 on the web, for example in:
https://luigidifraia.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/1-44-spi-128128-lcds-explained/

That linked site has such a fun summary of eBay - would be nice if they at least got a photo of what they sell:
Beware when you shop for your LCDs on eBay as sellers that were*posting version 1.1 might now be posting version 2.1 UNDER THE VERY SAME LISTING THAT SHOWS PHOTOS OF PANEL VERSION 1.1.

Interesting the through holes on the corner are not to hold the display - as noted those are not on my PCB. This image from the other thread shows my outer wrap marked ST7735:
View attachment 7114
That is such a nice fast little display - hope they turn up again in a usable way.

That linked site has such a fun summary of eBay - would be nice if they at least got a photo of what they sell:

Unfortunately most of those eBay sellers are just sale agents with no real access to the items they sell. I asked a few of them to take pictures of their panels in the past. The somewhat common answer (sometimes word by word) was that they did not have access to the item and that they would have to call the warehouse staff to confirm the version that they were shipping to buyers at that particular time. One seller even confirmed to me that the warehouse involved in a few purchases I made was initially shipping panel version 1.1 but that had changed to 2.1 without any change whatsoever to the eBay listing/pictures.

Nice to get good prices - but scary when you end up with counterfeit or mislabeled stuff.

eBay followed up today with this helpful link:: Replace Nokia 5110 LCD 1.44" Red Serial 128X128 SPI Color TFT LCD Display Module
Just to avoid disappointment, if you want to ensure your project is using the up-to-date version of the panel then I'd recommend looking for auctions where it is clearly stated "New" in the title and/or photos are given for the panel itself showing "V2.1". E.g.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-44-Re...FT-Color-Screen-PCB-Adapter-1pc-/191124424494

In fact, a few sellers seem to have added the "New" bit in the title of their auction and updated listing photos following my questions about the exact version I'd be getting if I were to buy from them. Not all of them, but a few did.

Thanks, probably should probably move this stuff back to a more appropriate thread as not much to do with Arduino 1.6.13 :D

But FYI - Looking at the link luigidlifralia linked to, made me wonder again if this was the ILI9... display or not as this listing mentioned St7735S, so tried again with T3.2 connected up using the Adafruit_ST7735S library and sure enough the display responded. I thought I tried this earlier, but maybe at that time had a lose wire?

Needless to say these probably won't help much in testing the ILI9613C code I did for allowing different SPI busses... Of course if I get ambitious I could now update Sumotoys ST7735 library to do this...

But again probably on different thread.

Ok, I've made a lot of updates to ST7735_t3 (formerly Adafruit_ST7735... now renamed to avoid conflicts).

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/ST7735_t3

Please let me know how this works for you?
Was wondering about what you are planning for this one as I started playing with the code, to maybe add SPI1 and SPI2 support...

So was wondering things like: since it is now called _t3, I was thinking of removing all of the non Teensy 3 stuff from it?

Also noticed that I don't believe it has the SPI transaction support in it.

The eBay ones I got have as noted "outer wrap marked ST7735" - but they play perfectly with the sumotoy code for ili9163c - and images and details matched those shown on his thread, unlike the images seen here from Paul or Kurt. Kurt - I got 3 of those (whopping $13 with paid shipping) - I could send you one?

Would be nice to find a current supply of them that works. Will be interesting if anyone orders and gets a V2.1 that actually works like or as well as the old V1.1. May be different controller - but for 128x128 pixels if the controller is functional it will still be fast. Tiny but full color and just proportionately larger than mono OLED at the same $3.50 it is generally a better device.

Sorry to continue the thread de-rail but have 5 of the red 128*128 LCDs and got caught with the fact that two of them don't work from 3.3V, and three did. All work from 5V via the fitted regulator so looks like checking power arrangements on the physical board in your possession is a good idea. Was sold as a 3.3V device, which I guess some of mine sort of are.

Sorry to continue the thread de-rail but have 5 of the red 128*128 LCDs and got caught with the fact that two of them don't work from 3.3V, and three did.
re: the derail - Paul Started it.

@GremlinWrangler - As far as those that don't run at 3.3V - you don't note the look of failure - do those have the J1 jumper that bypasses the voltage regulator? I had one ILI9341 display that was going all white on me - closed that jumper and it worked then - only ever used at Teensy 3.3V. YMMV - if you wanted to try. I did that trying to use the SD_Card as linked on the PJRC ILI9341 page.

My displays went all white as well, giving them enough voltage to allow for the dropout of the regulator made them happier. Obvious enough when I looked at the traces and the open jumper but having read all the '3.3V only' warnings did initial flash up at that voltage.

The eBay ones I got have as noted "outer wrap marked ST7735" - but they play perfectly with the sumotoy code for ili9163c - and images and details matched those shown on his thread, unlike the images seen here from Paul or Kurt. Kurt - I got 3 of those (whopping $13 with paid shipping) - I could send you one?

Would be nice to find a current supply of them that works. Will be interesting if anyone orders and gets a V2.1 that actually works like or as well as the old V1.1. May be different controller - but for 128x128 pixels if the controller is functional it will still be fast. Tiny but full color and just proportionately larger than mono OLED at the same $3.50 it is generally a better device.
May have to take you up on it... Right now hacking up Paul's ST7735_t3 code to make it work on different busses...

Right now hacking up Paul's ST7735_t3 code to make it work on different busses...

Sounds good.

Honestly, I'm not personally planning to put much more time into ST7735_t3. Happy to merge reasonable pull requests. But so many other things are on my todo list, so I just can't pour more time into this display library.

Kurt - time for a new thread [ DOH - HERE ]- but wondering about sumotoy's library versus this work I came across this post:

This is why I publish the 'proof of concept' page on my wiki! As you clear see I get 2 display working in the same time on a nano, and without change anithing, the library automatically apply preprocessor variants based on CPU.
I got recently a couple of 128x128 V2.1 RED PCB, Yellow PIN but surprise....not using the ILI9163C but ST7735...

Since my "ILI9163C's" are yellow header'ed and outer marked ST7735 but silkscreened V1.1 I'm not sure ... we could swap one of our displays.

I was going to point out this example: TFT_ILI9163C/tree/1.0p8/examples/teensy_Fourier_Transform_TFT it works with Audio Shield and ILI9341_t3 and ILI9163 - not sure if sumotoy ported to his ST7735 with the rest of his making them equal. It was a fun example that showed lots of speed . . . though I did a version with canned FFT data for testing that compiled much faster without Audio that was much better for development.

Last edited:
I didn't see this in discussions but I was just installing arduino and teensyduino on a new computer and keep getting compile errors. It seems it doesn't recognize a Teensy 3.2 as a target. Just issues an error message that says it can't compile the code. Don't remember the exact text of the of the message. The point of this post is Arduino 1.6.12 and 1.6.13 do not work with current teensyduino download. I had to go back to Arduino 1.6.11 to get my code to compile. I'm a bit new at this so please don't jump all over me like the Arduino folks did when I posted a similar note on their forum. The code was basically the getting started examples for NRF24l01. I'm working with a Win 7 laptop.

and keep getting compile errors.

Maybe you're seeing the bug that got into 1.32. Here is the fix:

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/40798-Teensyduino-1-33-Beta-2-Available

Then again, lots of other things could be wrong. Hard to say with so little info. We don't even know if you use Windows, Linux or Mac, not to mention the actual error messages you're getting. If that version doesn't solve your problem, please post a more detailed message. Remember, we can't see your screen or what steps you're actually doing. Without details, it's almost impossible to help solve whatever's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back