My dream Teensy battery charger-breaking out CHRG & POWER_ON lines on STBC08 charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyinmotion

My dream Teensy battery charger-breaking out CHRG & POWER_ON lines on STBC08 charger

I've used Onehorse's most fine STBC08 High-Current LiPo Battery Charger for several projects, including the Mitocondrion 800 LED POV glow staff. It is nearly ideal. I'm now working on some wearable badges using 1.5 inch OLED screens and USB charging. I want them to be as user-friendly as possible, so the behaviour I want is:

1) Run normally and display animation on screen.
2) Charge from USB and display "charging" message on screen.
3) Finished charge but still plugged in to USB, so display "charge finished" message on screen.
4) Off (with a big slide switch poking through the badge case).

This requires the Teensy to know what the charger is doing. With minor modification, Onehorse's can do the job. I've soldered jumper wires from the yellow and red LEDs to the spare edge pins and connected through them to the Teensy 3.1. Thus the Teensy knows what state it is all in and can display the appropriate messages to the screen. This was a bugger, those LEDs are tiny. But I managed it without damaging the LEDs and then I smothered the bare wires in epoxy to protect them and stop them from shorting out on the battery terminal. And now the Teensy can tell what's going on with the battery:

More pictures and details.

20161127_145115 800x600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back