Teensy 3.2 with Analog Inclinometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4M

Hey Everyone!

I'm after a bit of guidance with an analog inclinometer.
It has a regulated 3.3v output reference @5mA. Signal output is 0-3.3v.

I am using 3 potentiometers on the project that I also want to read precisely.

What is the best way to connect and use the 4 inputs with the teensy?
Should I be using the inclinometer's analog reference for all 4?

Thanks!

Sam

As long as you are not after high speed reads (Teensy 3.2 has two ADCs so clever coding can parralize things) it's pretty much a case of using three analog inputs that are sensibly located for your project and going for it. Using a stable supply will improve reading accuracy, and if you are going to use analogref input or digital post processing you are probably better of using the same supply for all the analog elements. Using the Agnd will also help reduce noise.

Nice one thanks!
Do you think that the 5mA source from the inclinomter would be ok to use for the pots?

Ohms law, so normal recommendation is 10k pots for stability and current draw. 3.3/10000 = .33ma. You have three pots so times 3 gives .99mA or 1mA. So should be fine. 5K pots might be a bit much though, depending on what the sensor draws.

I try the simplest way first, just connect the grounds and the 4 analog signals to 4 analog input pins. If that works well enough, go with it.

If you're seeing difference between the 3.3V reference output and Teensy's 3.3V, you could try connecting that reference to AREF on Teensy, and use analogReference(EXTERNAL) at the beginning of setup(). But do be careful that the Inclinometer and Teensy are powered from the same source. You wouldn't want to have that Inclinometer sending 3.3V into AREF when/if Teensy loses power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back