Teensy lc/3.2/3.6 with ethernet options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbedy

Hello,
I am playing with home automation and looking at a way to get sensor data to an MQTT broker on my network.

I was hoping to use a few of the teensy's i have, but how do i get them on the network.

1. I have a wiz820/sd adapter so one option is just pay the money and get a wiz820io. $50AUD is a bit of a negative.
If I do this, will it be compatible with pubsubclient (http://pubsubclient.knolleary.net/) which is compatible with arduino ethernet API.

2. I bought a few ENC28J60 (HanRun HR911105A) $5AUD and at the moment can get 63% ping success using teensylc.
Is there an option for teensy to use these?. If not I'm thinking a cheap option is to use some cheap arduino mega clones.

3. I have a teensy3.6. Is there an ethernet solution right now.

Thanks.

Another option would be to connect an ESP8266 and run the MQTT connect code on that - of course depending on your requirements - you could do that all in Arduino with or without a Teensy - but I think it would blend to a T_LC with external power to run the ESP. I've used this myWebServer - it doesn't have MQTT in it as it is - but he has an MQTT example in a project above. I did some with the myWebServer code tied to a Teensy 3.2 and it was nice - I think it is active so you might get feedback if you get stuck.

Check recent postings about PJRC Ethernet support by Paul - you can get newest wiznet adapters under US $18 on eBay. Here is one post (newer WIZ850io) there was another with links to official and tested eBay clone for under US $10

The just boot and go option is probably the wiz820 units, as you go down in price from there the coding becomes more interesting, many of them work but not sure if they have the same depth of library support that unit offers.

Re the Teensy 3.6 it's integrated ethernet unit is still a work in progress so not useful to you today.

My solution to this was to serial bridge to a Pi, which came out much the same cost wise as the wiz820 and gave a much more flexible network stack, where the Teensy is using 433mhz to talk to the actual house hardware. Many solutions, but not aware of any that combine cheap,ethernet and Arduino(ish).

Thanks.(edit:defrag)
I prefer wired/avoiding wireless.

If I was to use esp8266 it would be standalone, perhaps with an ioexpander if required.

Were you saying you used an esp8266 with teensy3.2. If so I'm interested to hear how you did this. At commands?

I keep reading about these cheap wizxxxio adapters but my eBay search turns up nothing. I'll keep looking.

Thanks.
Gavin.

Last edited:
Thanks Gremlin.
I basically need a small device that can read a few digital inputs (reed switch,photo-eyes,pir) maybe a 18b20 temp sensor and publish to mqtt. I can do with esp8266 alone but some locations require more io (security panel Pir 12 digital outputs) I was thinking I could cheaply use my teensy.

I believe uipethernet library with pubsubclient library, my cheapo ENC28J60 and a $20 clone arduino Mega may do the job.

I have a pi on the way so even more options coming.

Thanks.

Thanks.(edit:defrag)
I prefer wired/avoiding wireless.

If I was to use esp8266 it would be standalone, perhaps with an ioexpander if required.

Were you saying you used an esp8266 with teensy3.2. If so I'm interested to hear how you did this. At commands?

I keep reading about these cheap wizxxxio adapters but my eBay search turns up nothing. I'll keep looking.

Thanks.
Gavin.

Forum search on myWebServer should hit a post/thread where I linked to my github with T_3.2 using Arduino on ESP - a bit ignored since March when PJRC PROP shield and then T_3.6 beta started.

Seems post by Paul with eBay photo/link was in the last week? Ping his posts ...

I ordered a couple of these last week, they will arrive this week.

Mind you that Ethernet is not the physical layer of choice for home automation because of high power consumption. A node (Ethernet + MCU) will easily consume up to 1W of continuous power. For home automation manufacturers use low power wireless or bus systems, with average power of each node in the mW range.

I ordered a couple of these last week, they will arrive this week.

Mind you that Ethernet is not the physical layer of choice for home automation because of high power consumption. A node (Ethernet + MCU) will easily consume up to 1W of continuous power. For home automation manufacturers use low power wireless or bus systems, with average power of each node in the mW range.

I hadn't considered that.
Maybe I have to get over my irrational fear of living with 25 wifi transmitters.

You could use Zigbee, Lora or just plain old 433 MHz transmitters that only transmit when you actually push a switch? Or if you go wired, use a simple bus like RS-485. On the other side, wifi has the benefit of being TCP/IP and having a lot of support from projects like OpenHAB.

Rs-485 around the house with a Ethernet bridge. Don't know how to do it but I'm in no rush.

Thanks.

At least in my case been fairly happy with the 433mhz option for doing what I need to do, for what it's worth found the cheap Ebay wireless security sensors/remote controls are fixed coded and accessible via https://github.com/sui77/rc-switch. useless for security but a cheap way to get started and you can add your own nodes. If you already have the ethernet wires then some form of serial interface+power would seem to be the go, using none pairs for the power will I think avoid damage if an actual ethernet device gets plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back