IDE Sketch Open Yields New Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctic_Eddie

I often need multiple IDE instances open with several Arduinos boards, monitors, and comports. That all works fine. With IDE 1.6.5-rc5, a new sketch replaced the one shown at startup, which I prefer. Versions beyond that now have a different behavior. Opening a second sketch adds a new window and keeps the original. With three instances, I now have six windows. This is causing problems in that editing and uploading is not always the sketch version I expect.

Question:
Is there a way to prevent the IDE, V1.6.13, from opening a second window but use the new sketch in place of the original, like V1.6.5-rc5?

No, not really, the Arduino devs changed the way File > New works.

Of course, if "is there a way" includes editing the Java code and recompiling the entire IDE, and then manually importing Teensy's hardware folders (or copying the rebuilt JAR files into an already-working Arduino IDE), then yes there is a way. It is all open source, afterall, but that doesn't necessarily mean such an edit is easy.

That's a little beyond my capability, and desire at this time. I've got a procedural work-around that will help so I'll use that for the time being. Version 1.6.5-rc5 worked the way I want but I'd better stick to 1.6.13 so as to use the T36 and TyQt.

I just finished a home automation project using Pro Minis or Nanos on a RS-485 network. I'm now starting a magnetic vector analyzer with the T36.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back