Wiz820io Problems anyone have a spare that the would like to sell and ship priority?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crees

SOLVED - Wiz820io Problems

Hi

I have ordered a couple Wiz820io adapters on ebay and not having much luck getting them to work. I managed to get one working occasionally but the link and activity light will sometime lite up and every once in a while I can get a test ethernet web server sketch to work. But not consistently. If I re-seat the module and try differnet USB ports It will ocassionaly run again. When it does work I managed to test it out with some dmx stuff and I could see that it was processing the packets and reporting RGB values as expected, however it was laggy and the responses were delayed consistent with the LED on pin 13 when it went solid during the fractional lag/freeze.

The second module is non responsive at all. It only links and shows activity but there seems to be no SPI intelligence.

The buyer I got it from did have a negative comment about his wiz adapters being "Junk", So I question if I have good ones to begin with.

Any suggestions on what I should test out? Is it ok to run both teensy and wiz module from USB power? (wiz module positive pins are on 3.3v pin on teensy)

My Wiring is just like this post (https://forum.pjrc.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1758&d=1396193449) . The wiring should be right due to that I have got it to work on one module occasionally.

Last edited:
Which Teensy are you using? The 3.3 v regulator on a Teensy 3.0 or 3.1 does not supply enough current for both the Teensy and the WIZ820io together but the regulator on the Teensy 3.2 does. See this.

If you are using a Teensy 3.0 or 3.1, you'll need to supply 3.3 v to the WIZ820io from another source, i.e. an additional regulator. I believe USB will typically output enough current (500 mA?) for both Teensy and WIZ820io.

But the simplest solution is to use a Teensy 3.2. Teensy 3.2 + WIZ820io is a well traveled path to Ethernet bliss ;).

Last edited:
Yes 3.2 is what I have. I also put it on a 3.3 regulator and did not have any more success. I replaced jumpers with direct wires in the breadboard. I am thinking I have two modules that are DOA. I will order another one maybee a w5500 based and retest.

Ok, good to hear that you are using a Teensy 3.2. A couple more ideas...

Look at the setup code at the bottom of this page. I know you are not using the WIZ820io & Micro SD Card Adaptor but the page talks about "proper reset [of the WIZ820io] at startup". Are you doing this? I see that the WebServer example does not. I believe it should use this setup code if Ethernet is being provided by a WIZ820io, but the WebServer example doesn't assume that. This might give problems with a 1st version of the PJRC Adapter board or if using no Adapter board at all. Just guessing here.

Second idea is that maybe the WIZ820io adapters you got on eBay are, uh, "not of high quality"? Again, just guessing. I've gotten mine from Saelig in the U.S. and never had any issues.

Last edited:
Third idea... in addition to the setup code discussed above, add a 10 mS delay after you init Ethernet, but before you use it for anything. Any difference?

... I replaced jumpers with direct wires in the breadboard. ...

Seeing "Breadboard" - and a higher current device ...

Connecting up my first ESP-8266 modules I wired through breadboard. They pretended to program but never did - I tried AT firmware then LUA - then Arduino - all failed.

I then checked voltage to the ESP and it was under 3V - I doubled the wires feeding Ground and power on the rails and it started working.

Ok Modules are good. It was my lack of a proper reset of the pins as you suggested. Now both modules are alive! thank you! It looks like not having this pin reset was causing erratic behavior.

Now on to my next issue. I got some SACN e1.31 code working but the module/teensy are exhibiting the original issue (when module was working originally) and that is the pin 13 SCK (connected to led also) seems to freeze for a fraction of a second and the continue which is causing the end result of LED's to pause for second then continue every few seconds. I am going to load some known good code (like artnet) and see if I get the same results.

Ok Next issue is Resolved due to my Parallels VM Windows 7 causing some sort of packet burst in SACN traffic. I tried another machine and data is streaming smoothly and there are no glitches in the LED's or pin 13 exhibiting any freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back