PJRC server migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulStoffregen

Yesterday I moved the PJRC website to a brand new server. This forum is hosted on a different server, but it relays email notifications through the new server, so it's possible new message notifications might be broken.

If you've noticed I've been mostly absent the last few days, this server move was the main reason. I still have a number of little things to fix, but the main site appears to be up and running. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

If you notice anything not working, please reply here.

In case the website layout and structure was not modified and I'm not seeing old cache memory content, everything looks fine to me.

Just had a weirdness while posting a brief reply in https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/41157
When I hit the Post Quick Reply button, it spun its wheels for several seconds before this message occurred:
Code:
The following errors occurred with your submission

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 15 seconds.
I hadn't posted an earlier message so I don't know what the problem was. I waited at least 15 seconds and then hit Post again. Then I found that my original message had been posted and now I had added a duplicate, which I have since deleted.

Happy New Year to All

Pete

Just had a weirdness while posting a brief reply in https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/41157
When I hit the Post Quick Reply button, it spun its wheels for several seconds before this message occurred:
Code:

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 15 seconds.
I hadn't posted an earlier message so I don't know what the problem was. I waited at least 15 seconds and then hit Post again. Then I found that my original message had been posted and now I had added a duplicate, which I have since deleted.

Happy New Year to All

Pete

ARGHHHHHHH. This time it wasn't the 15 second delay. When I hit the Post Quick Reply button, a popup asked me if I wanted to leave this page. I didn't want to lose what I had just typed so I cancelled and copied and pasted my message and then Posted it. Now I have two copies again.

Last edited:
Dito for me on one thread, It spun and I then said are you sure you wish to leave this page. So I hit post quick again.

Also with Firefox (64 bit) - Side Note: I may try to go back to Firefox 32 bit, as the 64 bit has issues with things like uploading images. If I use the normal browser in it to find the file, when I try upload, it fails. But if I use the basic uploader I can do it?

Not just FireFox. I've seen this behavior on Win 10 EDGE not recently enough to be more specific - but generally it is the same:: do Post Quick reply and then some spinning - then at some point I go to leave and get prompted with 'are you sure'.

Has happened more than a couple times - since I post too much - I often copy my reply text and then exit the page and refresh to find my posting is there. Sometimes I merely push the closest button and double post. Which happened once the past few days and I went and deleted the duplicate.

<EDIT> :: It just happened on this post : Perhaps relates to open time on post edit and some server session tracking? I wrote the above text - then picked up my phone a few minutes - came back and hit POST - spun just a couple seconds and then asked 'are you sure' - I said yes, leave and it opened into 'edit this post'. I copied the text but just re-opened the thread to find my posting secure.

<Edit 2> : Kurt - I use EDGE first ( it fails some "I am not a robot" logins - then I have to use firefox_x86 ) - but I have issues doing some file upload (not necessarily here) - I have to refresh the page and restart the upload process to get the server interface in order to upload.

Last edited:
Something has changed - just did a quicker post and got the above events - then said leave page - was dropped into into "edit this post" with the text ::
This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 11 seconds.

I copied out the text and clicked the thread breadcrumb link - there was my post.

The only thing that's (intentionally) changed here on the forum server is the addition of a HSTS header. For at least a year, the entire forum site has redirected all http (unencrypted) to https (encrypted). This header just tells your browser to never use unencrypted, which is shouldn't be doing anyway because every URL redirects to encrypted.

I've seen this double post issue a few times before the change. Perhaps it's related to timing of sending notification emails? Maybe that's different, since the forum server has to contact the main server to send any emails.

Is everyone getting the notification emails? As nearly as I can tell from the server logs, they're going out the MTA ok.

Later this year will come the migration from vbulletin to xenforo. Sadly, vbulletin is a sinking ship and version 4 will never support PHP7... so we're pretty much going to be forced to move. The good news is xenforo looks pretty awesome.

My recent posts have been without issue.

The 6:28p time stamp on your post matches the time stamp on the email notice for it, so I see all as well.

Last night after the above post it seemed the notification email was delayed ( on another thread) - but looking again that thread had two posts after the email before I clicked and at that point I only scanned the last post timestamp - not the one that generated the email - it is the next minute.

click on "advanced search" gives warnings:

Code:
[B]Warning[/B]: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in [B]..../packages/vbforum/search/result/socialgroupmessage.php[/B] on line [B]24[/B]

[B]Warning[/B]:  Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupDiscussion::getLoadQuery()  should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in [B]..../packages/vbforum/search/result/socialgroupdiscussion.php[/B] on line [B]24
[/B]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back