compile for teensy from BSD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krsanky

Does anyone compile for teensy (i have 3.2) from BSD? (or from linux/Mac commandline)
I am able to _load_ programs using the teensy loader, but I don't see how to compile them without teensyduino.
Any ideas?

I'm not a BSD user but platformio.org claims to work under FreeBSD.

I'd give that a shot, platform.io is awesome.

I have not used the command line for Teensyduino builds, but I've read this forum enough that I know that some people do and it usually involves using a Make-file.

Perhaps a place to start is to use Google to search the forum using the following search terms:

Code:
site:forum.pjrc.com command line makefile

This returns several pages of relevant discussion about what you want to know. Additional information can be found on the main pjrc.com site.

To do this on a platform Teensyduino supports (Linux, Mac), start with the sample makefile which the installer puts into hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy3.

For BSD, well, you've got a lot of work to do. You can see the makefile needs a toolchain in hardware/tools/arm. You'll probably need to compile to toolchain. This is the toolchain source we're currently using, with some slight edits to the build scripts to compile on Raspberry Pi. Maybe this can also help for BSD.

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/ARM_Toolchain_2014q3_Source

Here is the original:

https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.8/4.8-2014-q3-update

Thanks all.

markonian:
That google search string gave me https://github.com/apmorton/teensy-template which looks like something I might be able to work with.
(It's the only thing I saw that doesn't seem to rely teensyduino. It pulls teensy3 in from PaulS' core repo.)

Paul:
Thanks for the info. Just knowing there isn't something obvious I'm missing helps a lot.

I think you still need Teensyduino. In the Teensy 3.X Project Template README.md, scroll down to the section "Where everything came from", everything listed (with the exception of 49-teensy.rules) comes from Teensyduino. I think you'll want to get the latest Teensyduino, install into the latest Arduino release that is supported by Teensyduino, and extract your files from there. This way you'll be in sync with the latest Teensyduino release. Or, you could wait until apmorton does this.

But since I've not done this myself, I look forward to hearing the details from Paul.

[UPDATE] I see that Teensyduino 1.32 was released on Dec 9th, 2016. The newest update in teensy-template that I can see was on Nov 14. This is why I suspect that teensy-template is not up-to-date with the latest Teensyduino, which is version 1.32.

Last edited:
I think you still need Teensyduino.

Well, you could do it without installing Teensyduino, BUT
- in addition to paul's cores/teensy3 files
- you have to get yourself a arm toolchain and possibly modify some files to please the linker
- get yourself a teensy loader (e.g. teensy_loader_cli) compiled and tested on BSD
( not sure if tyqt is working completely without teensy tools)
- you may have to get a program that interfaces to usb-seremu (in case you wanted to use HID with seremu)
- and maybe something else (there are some binary files in hardware/tools that use used for and by teensy.exe)

Having said that, myself on Windows, I program without using Teensyduino, but try to keep my programs compatible, also to be able to use and test programs discussed on this forum. AND sometimes is faster to use Arduino IDE to do quick tests than setting up an eclipse project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back