USB host mode cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaQue

I am not up to speed on USB terms. If I add the 150uf cap will I still be able to plug it into my PC and connect as USBserial and emulate a mouse and keyboard? In other words does just adding the cap force host mode with out programming it into a host.

Last edited:
No, do *not* solder a capacitor onto the bottom side. It will cause problems!

While Andrew did put some code into the USB Host Shield library, but reality is USB host isn't really supported on Teensy 3.2. To use Andrew's code, you need to seriously hack the hardware so another board can program it.

Today, the various USB host shields are the only (just barely) workable solution for USB host.

Long term, Teensy 3.6 will provide USB host. Today there's no working code, but I intend to change that situation! The 3.6 board was designed with the necessary capacitor, and also with a software-controlled current limiting switch to control it. The controller is a full EHCI implementation, which for now is difficult because it requires a ton of software work, but long term it will be excellent when the software matures.

Thank you! I will leave it off. I am building one of the tall-dog breakouts and one was included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back