Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Quad channel output on Teensy 3.6

Thats great feedback! Thank you Paul - really appreciate that... I will make amendments...

Thanks again. I've made the corrections you've suggested, although I was slightly unsure of these things:

if the decoupling caps for VA should be before or after the ferrite bead.

if the CAT811T is wired correctly.

if PIN1 / CS is setup correctly with two resistors and solderable pad options. Due to my inexperience, I wasn't sure how to represent this on a schematic.

pdf: Attachment 16306
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cs42448.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	16302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teensy.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	16303  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	input.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	16304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	output.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	16305  

Last edited by Moo; 03-31-2019 at 09:47 PM.

daydreaming about using cs42448 with a teensy...

al-teensy3.6-cs42448.pdf

An artists' impression of a cs42448 eurorack module...

Name:	al-teensy-v5 v3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	16346

Hallo everybody.
    I made al the mod on teensy 3.2 to work with 2 audioboard and quad-channel.
    I had some issue playing on both board at the same time: i get very fragmented audio on each channel.
    I don't get this problem when I play audio file on only one of the teo audio board. Any suggestion about ho to solve this?
    Thank you vary much in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McConney View Post
    Here are pictures of a few of the 7 that I have made.

Attachment 11170Attachment 11171
    Could you by any chance make two or three for me? If yes, what will the price look like?

If you make one of these boards, please join the conversation!
    I bought three of these boards back when they came available. After sleeping on the shelf for nearly a couple of years, I grabbed one and set out to do my first SMD build in about 5 years. I can solder up a vacuum tube amp board in about 3 hours, but I designed it so I know where all the parts go. This little guy took me three days of squinting through a microscope and soldering my fingers. It's kinda ugly, and not all of the parts are the right size, but it's finished.

I popped a T3.2 on top and loaded up the code I made from the fragment on the OSH park page and the original "guitar' code. I wired the mixed to all 8 output channels so I could test them. After fixing a few typos it worked. This will be part of the fourth music synthesizer I have built with a Teensy as the "brain." I tested with a T3.2, so that there were minimal variables in case things didn't work. The T3.6 will be next. This one will be a 6 voice polyphonic hybrid digital /analog synth with Moog style ladder filters for that fat Moog sound. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2580711_x.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	16800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2580612_x.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	16801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2580631_x.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	16802

Quote Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
    This one will be a 6 voice polyphonic hybrid digital /analog synth with Moog style ladder filters for that fat Moog sound.
    Hope you'll be able to share more info and maybe even a demo video when it's built?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    Hope you'll be able to share more info and maybe even a demo video when it's built?
    Sure. The CS42448 board is the output for 6 audio channels created in the audio library. I have had good luck with the digital oscillators that I have been using. They are 1V/oct or MIDI controlled. Trying to make 6 notes of polyphony with three oscillators per note needs 18 VCO's. You can not keep 18 analog VCO's in tune with each other for more than 5 minutes. I also want to make this thing small enough to fit IN an electric guitar.

The CS42448 board and Teensy are needed for the next step, which is tweaking out some ladder filter designs and trying out some new ideas on them. The CS42448 / T3.6 will use the same code I'm using in my current Teensy 3.6 synth. Progress will likely be sporadic since I have taken on a contract engineering job that gets first priority. I will post pictures and details as the project progresses.

The first synth was your audio tutorial on a white breadboard with a bunch of pots wired to it. Number two is a small perfboard still based on and compatible with the tutorial, with 12 pots, 3 push buttons, 3 encoders and 1 V/oct CV / gate inputs added. It can be driven bu a music keyboard. I use the Arturia Keystep since it has 5 pin MIDI, USB MIDI and 1V/OCT I/O.

Number 3 is a big breadboard with 49 pots, 4 encoders, and 1 V/oct CV / gate inputs. It's still running it's Kickstarter edition of the prototype Teensy 3.6.

It is seen here on a Youtube demo video. This was before I got the 1V/oct calibrated well enough for the synth to be played with a keyboard or DAW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWf8Ohfw9EU

I'm including a picture or two of the synth being played on a deck overlooking the Atlantic ocean on a vacation trip. I wanted to set it all up in the sand down by the water but the wind was creating a full on sandstorm which would have ruined it......and my eyes.

Name:	PC and Synth_1x.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	16807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC and Synth_2x.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	16808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC and Synth3_x.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	16809

Here is a picture of a Moog style ladder filter breadboard made with vacuum tubes.....it won't fit in the guitar, so i'll keep working on the SMD stuff.

Name:	LadderTop1_x.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	16806

hi there,

I had the same issue as mmalex with the CS42448 not working properly, VQ at 1.25V instead of 2.5V and muted outputs.

my fix for it is to set bit 0 (a reserved bit) in the CS42448 FunctionalMode register to 1:

Code:
            // set the magic bit!
            __write(CS42448_Functional_Mode, 0xF4 | 0x01 );
    I contacted Cirrus support and they told me it's not possible and the chip should work without that bit set - well as mmalex and me found out that is not true for all chips or setups.

we have this on 3 prototype boards so its also not an one-off soldering error.

I've added a comment in the CS42448 code with a link to this thread.

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/Au...d7b0b6c9a9af76

Question Extend it to 8 channel for input and output

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    I created one just now and sent it in to OSH Park. It uses the CS42448 chip. Will send you one when they're made.

Attachment 10184
    Can we edit this pcb and make in for 8 channel input/ output and can we use AudioInputTDM for 8 channel input to record sound. Thanks a lot I am a fan and really appreciate your work.

Making six differential inputs into 8 channel inputs by using single ended inputs

Quote Originally Posted by shahyan View Post
    Can we edit this pcb and make in for 8 channel input/ output and can we use AudioInputTDM for 8 channel input to record sound. Thanks a lot I am a fan and really appreciate your work.
    I was observing the data sheet in which it is mentioned that CS42448 can be used as six channel differential input but has given an option in the data sheet to use the last two ANI5+ ANI5- and ANI6+ and ANI6- as single ended inputs. so can i use these single ended to extend the inputs to 8 channels and will I have to make some changes to the teensy code for the input side. Thanks a lot in advance guys.

Paul, I'm wondering what do you use to create gerber files? I mean which application (KiCad or something else).

And if there is a chance that you could share the source file of the CS42448 board? I would want to readjust it for T4. And augment a little (I don't need the on-board jacks, just the pads to solder to the prev/next stages, so I could make it even more compact), but it would really be nice to readjust the proven-to-work source rather than to create a new one from scratch.

The same question is about the MIDI board source (the one from https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_MIDI.html). Because I would likely want to have both on a single PCB and it would be cool to merge the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by hoho View Post
    Paul, I'm wondering what do you use to create gerber files? I mean which application (KiCad or something else).

And if there is a chance that you could share the source file of the CS42448 board? I would want to readjust it for T4. And augment a little (I don't need the on-board jacks, just the pads to solder to the prev/next stages, so I could make it even more compact), but it would really be nice to readjust the proven-to-work source rather than to create a new one from scratch.

The same question is about the MIDI board source (the one from https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_MIDI.html). Because I would likely want to have both on a single PCB and it would be cool to merge the boards.
    iíve adapted the cs42448 circuit for teensy 4.0 using kicad here: though itís not fully tested yet thou.. https://github.com/newdigate/teensy-eurorack

Thanks! Though if there is an option I would really prefer the ętested by multiple peopleĽ version . And thank you for opensourcing your thing.