Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Quad channel output on Teensy 3.6

Hi Paul and everyone. I'm designing a similar board to use Teensy with the CS42448 and was wondering if it'd be possible to use 3.3V for VA? I need to make it battery-powered (lithium 3.7-4.2V) so I was planning to just have a battery connected to VIN and use the regulated 3.3V to power all the rest. On the datasheet it says the CS42448 can operate from 3.3 to 5..so it should be possible, right?
    In this case, could I just connect VA and VD with a ferrite bead to separate the 3.3V lines? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kinesphere View Post
    with the CS42448 and was wondering if it'd be possible to use 3.3V for VA?
    The datasheet says it can run from 3.14 to 5.25V, so looks like it ought to be possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	23615

Any suggestions?
    I'd first just try connecting VA to the battery. Well, maybe a quick voltmeter check to verify it's under 5.25V.

You could also try just connecting it to 3.3V and see what happens. I'd watch the 3.3V line while doing so, and make a point to (carefully) touch the voltage regulator to make sure it's not getting burning hot. Teensy's little regulator might not be able to supply enough current. But the worst case should be it overheats and shuts down.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    The datasheet says it can run from 3.14 to 5.25V, so looks like it ought to be possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	23615

I'd first just try connecting VA to the battery. Well, maybe a quick voltmeter check to verify it's under 5.25V.

You could also try just connecting it to 3.3V and see what happens. I'd watch the 3.3V line while doing so, and make a point to (carefully) touch the voltage regulator to make sure it's not getting burning hot. Teensy's little regulator might not be able to supply enough current. But the worst case should be it overheats and shuts down.
    That's great Paul. I will try VA to the battery first, good idea! Then I will do another test with 3.3V and if the regulator can't cope with it I will use another one externally. Thanks!

since you are looking for battery power this might be of interest. Provides battery charging facilities as well. Very cheap - about $3 if I remember correctly.

EDIT:
    You can get them here.

Hi,

I'm currently using these boards for a project, and I'm running into an issue where I hear the audio output when the board boots up via programming; however, when I unplug and replug power to the teensy it fails to output audio at all. I know that cs42448_1.enable() and cs42448_1.volume(1)is returning true in both cases, so I'm a bit stumped. It looks like there is some timing dependency on how the board boots up when the teensy boots from programming versus a straight power on. Additionally, the MCLK from the Teensy doesn't seem to be reached 0.2 VA when I measure on a scope (breaking the VIH spec of the CS42448)... Could this be a problem?

I was wondering if it would be possible to update the GUI audio tool to allow 4 and 8 channel .wav files from the SD card. That would be an amazing tool combined with the CS42448!