Serial Protocols, Links and Suggestions Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulStoffregen

Today I added a "Commonly Used Serial Protocols" section to the Serial page. The idea is to help people find the best threads where we've discussed many of these ways to use serial.

Please let me know which threads have the best info and should be linked from the serial page. In particular, I know we've had lots of great threads about how to use RTS/CTS flow control and fast baud rates with ESP8266. I personally haven't done that, and I haven't kept track of every thread. Please let me know which would be the best to link from the serial page.

I'm sure I've neglected several important protocols or usage cases. Tell me what else should be on this list.

For Modbus RTU maybe you can link to this library. It compiles and runs with TD if you comment all references to the AVR serial registers UBRR1H, UBRR2H and UBRR3H. There is also some room for further optimisations.

If I find the time I'm gonna clean up my copy of this lib and document it. With some changes it is a very powerful Modbus library, personally tested with at least a dozen different devices.

Off topic: Serial5 transmit pin for Teensy 3.5 and 3.6 should be 33.

Last edited:
Not sure if appropriate, but I know of a few libraries to support the Robotis TTL level servos (AX and MX-T) including my own as one by Elmue.

Mine is up at: https://github.com/KurtE/BioloidSerial
It supports the TTL level servos directly using the half duplex support of the Teensy 3.x processors without additional hardware or you can use a level shifter circuit) and use the SerialX.transmitterEnable calls. Note: it is possible it might also support the RS-485 level servos (MX-R and the like), with a hardware RS-485 chip using the transmitternEnable support, but I have never tried it, as I don't own any of these servos nor setup any boards to use it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back