Audio Amp Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkoffman

Hi all,

I'm working on a new project that uses the audio library to play some sound effects. Nothing too fancy, so I'm planning on using the DAC output so I don't need the full audio board. I tested my code with the prop shield and it works well.

However, I'd like to put a more powerful amp on my device. I like how simple the chip chosen by Paul is to integrate, I just need something with a bit more oomph. I'm currently looking at an option from ST, but I'd be interested in hearing is anyone had any suggestions in the 10 watts (mono) or so range. I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of power if it could run at 5v. Something that didn't require a lot external components would be ideal.

As a bonus question, does anyone have any experience connecting powered speakers to the output of the DAC? I'm wondering if I can just use a little circuit made of passives or if I need an op-amp or something more in there.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I'm working on a new project that uses the audio library to play some sound effects. Nothing too fancy, so I'm planning on using the DAC output so I don't need the full audio board. I tested my code with the prop shield and it works well.

However, I'd like to put a more powerful amp on my device. I like how simple the chip chosen by Paul is to integrate, I just need something with a bit more oomph. I'm currently looking at an option from ST, but I'd be interested in hearing is anyone had any suggestions in the 10 watts (mono) or so range. I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of power if it could run at 5v. Something that didn't require a lot external components would be ideal.

As a bonus question, does anyone have any experience connecting powered speakers to the output of the DAC? I'm wondering if I can just use a little circuit made of passives or if I need an op-amp or something more in there.

Thanks!

Any amp works.

Connection:
The design tool says:
The output voltage has DC level. Some applications require a DC-blocking capacitor. If unsure, a 10µF is usually a safe value to use. If an aluminum or tantalum capacitor is used, the positive terminal should connect to Teensy's DAC pin.

You can get a little more power from the prop shield amp if you use the 3.3V reference for the DAC, or if you use an opamp to increase the 1.2Vp-p output to about 3Vp-p. The opamp approach might have less noise, but it depends on whether there's noise on the 3.3V power.

For those who are curious, I've decided to try a prototype with the TPA3111D1 from TI. It's a 10W mono amp, seems not too bad, and the package is something I can handle. There's even a 25W mono version that appears to be pin compatible in case I need even more oomph!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back