Copy data from Serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bita

Hello everyone:
I am sorry if this is not a new question but I did not find its answer by searching through internet. I have problem with Teensy (3.2) serial monitor. Cannot copy data from it. It is different from Arduino absolutely. I used to copy data from Arduino port by Ctrl A and Ctrl C and then paste them to excel file. But with Teensy, these keys don't work. Not just this. when I disconnect the USB, the numbers get gray and no way I can copy them. If I don't disconnect it, the data I got first suddenly disappears.
Can you please advise how I transfer my data to an excel file?
Thanks a lot

If you're just reading from the port you can use a program called "putty" to watch the port; It has an option to save the session data which might be what you need.

Which operating system are you using? Some version of Windows, since you have Excel??

I tried just now on Linux 64 bit. Ctrl-A selects all, Ctrl-C copies and I can paste into other programs.

This problem might also be related to the speed your program is printing. Maybe you noticed the "Forum Rule" at the top of every page? Generally, when you have a problem, we expect your question to have every detail needed to reproduce the problem.

If your program is large, or if it's a proprietary secret, please write a small test program. Actually run the test program and confirm the error still occurs. Then post the test program here, along with the exact operating system, version of Arduino & Teensyduino and any other details. Imagine someone will try to follow the steps you write. Make sure they do recreate the problem.

he means he cant copy and paste from serial monitor, i dont see how thats a teensy problem, when it's an IDE driven monitor. If you want to log use putty like edward said.

when I disconnect the USB, the numbers get gray and no way I can copy them. If I don't disconnect it, the data I got first suddenly disappears.
Can you please advise how I transfer my data to an excel file?
Thanks a lot
This part has changed over the last several releases. I used to also at times disconnect the USB cable, but then decide to copy and paste, but the now the window is disabled...

Yep - I sometimes pull the plug when for example if code is running on Teensy and I screwed something up and it is about to break a gear or the like... And at those time it is nice to be able to grab whatever data I may have written out to the Serial port...

I have to give TyQt a plug not sure if it runs anywhere but windows. It's pretty cool and does Teensy programming too besides being able to copy from its serial monitor.

putty or any other terminal works, too. no matter which OS you're using.
probably there is a good terminal that keeps working if the port disapears for a short time (during re-programming or reset)

Last edited:
DaQue and Frank, yep I am currently using TyQt (except when verifying release). I also use Putty (actually these days KiTTy) when I do things like hook up an FTDI cable to Serial1 or the like. But was simply mentioning that I could confirm at least some of the functionality mentioned in the first posting of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back