Teensy products end of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmartin

Hi guys,
I'd like to develop my own pcb product based on Teensy board. I was wondering what is the end of life of Teensy 3.2 o later.

Thanks in advance.

Teensy 3.2 is still the most popular version. It is certainly *not* EOL.

The Mini54 bootloader chips are EOL, but still available for people who designed PCBs around this part. MKL02 is recommended for new custom PCB designs.

Teensy 1.0, Teensy++ 1.0, Teensy 3.0 and Teensy 3.1 have been discontinued.

Just out of my (unsatisfiable) scientific curiosity: Is there still much demand for the 8-bit AVR based designs like Teensy 2.0 and 2.0++ ? If yes, why?

Teensy 2.0 and Teensy++ 2.0 are still popular. Not nearly as much as the newer 32 bit boards, but then again we see cloning mostly on 2.0 which probably is costing PJRC sales.

There's probably a lot of "long tail" effect from the 4 years it was the only Arduino compatible product with native USB, and even longer time it was the only USB MIDI solution in the Arduino world. Teensy 2.0 core library is also *still* the only one with a lot of special software optimizations, which the rest of the AVR-based Arduino would could copy, but never did. Teensy 2.0 is still pretty popular with custom keyboard makers, probably because of the simplicity of the GUI for flashing, and again the long history of easy to use non-Arduino USB code. There are a lot of projects & code built on avr-gcc and makefiles, with hard-coded use of AVR registers throughout, still in widespread use.

Teensy++ 2.0 is somewhat unique. It still surprised me so few other board makers ever embraced the larger AVR USB chips. Even if all your code fits into 32K flash and all your variables into 2.5K RAM, often more I/O pins are needed.

For regular Arduino boards, Uno and Mega are still by far the most popular, and Arduino.cc even decided to EOL Arduino Due some time ago. Obviously they're focusing a lot of their effort into the SAMD chips, but those old 8 bit boards are apparently the majority of their sales (this is all rumors... I don't have their actual sales numbers). I'm happy to say the transition from 8 to 32 bit boards has gone much better for Teensy, but then even when all were 8 bits, Teensy has always been about offering extra features and performance for people striving to do more ambitious projects.

Thank you, Paul.

Since I got actively into the embedded world via the Teensy way and thus had no 8-bit (or other Arduino) mass inertia in my history, I (naturally) went for the 32bit ARM architecture for its better performance at a relatively lower price and had difficulties imagining that people would still do new developments for the older, less performant 8bit MCUs instead of porting their code to the 32bit ARM platform for its obvious advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back