Do I need the WIZ820io adapter for the Teensy 3.6 or can I connect WIZ850io directly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofakng

I've just received my WIZ850io network module and my "WIZ820io & Micro SD Card Adaptor" from PJRC with my Teensy 3.6.

However, do I need to use the adapter to connect the WIZ850io module to the Teensy 3.6? Is the only purpose so it can sit on top (?) of the Teensy?

You don't "need" that adaptor, but it's usually much easier than connecting individual wires.

The adaptor has its own voltage regulator which help reduce heating in Teensy's regulator. It also has pullup resistors on the chip select pins and a reset chip to properly reset the Wiznet chip. With WIZ820io the reset is essential (the W5200 chip doesn't work at all without reset). With WIZ550io reset is not absolutely necessary, but still a good idea. The pullup resistors also aren't critical, but they make things "just work" if you have other SPI devices and you start using one before the others have their chip select pins initialized.

All that stuff is optional.

Thanks as always for the amazing support!

Are there any diagrams on connecting the adapter to the Teensy 3.6? The website shows the 820io connected to the Teensy 3.1 (?)

I'm also a little confused because I ordered the Teensy 3.6 with the pins attached. I'm not sure if I want to attach the Wiz adapter on top of the Teensy 3.6 or onto a breadboard, etc.

EDIT: Also, it looks like the pictures on your website for the adapter show the header pins into female holes sockets or something like that?

Any additional help is really appreciated and thank you so much!

It's meant to go on top. If you already have normal pins soldered on the bottom side, obviously that's not mechanically ideal, since you need pin above to connect between these two boards. Adding more pins or wires will probably be a bit messy, but the electrons don't care as long as it's a good metal connection.

OK - Thank you. I might have to order another Teensy 3.6 then just to make it easier.

Can I ask one last question? What type of header pins are attached in this picture?
wiz820_assem3.jpg

It looks like two header pins stacked on top of each other? ...or are the top pins (as shown in the picture) actually female holes?

Ahhh, OK. Thanks! I missed the link on the page but I see it now.

Anyways, if I don't have any other SPI devices I think the only useful parts of the adapter is the voltage resistor (which I can use my own) and the reset chip.

Is it worth using a reset chip, or could I just connect RSTn on the 850io to the Teensy (with internal pull-up) and hold it low for a second or so? (it seems like the reset chip is just there in case the user doesn't use the initialization code?)

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm developing a board on which I will install directly a Teensy 3.6 and a WIZ850io. If possible I would not use the adaptor (I don't need the SD card reader). Is it right to wire Teensy 3.6 directly to WIZ850io in the following way?

Teensy PIN ------------> WIZ850io

9 (SPI0 - RESET) -----> RSTn
10 (SPI0 - CS0) -------> SCNn
11 (SPI0 - MOSI0) ----> MOSI
12 (SPI0 - MISO0) ----> MISO
13 (SPI0 - SCK0) -----> SCLK
GND -------------------> GND

External 3.3V ---------> 3.3V

In the Sketch:

Code:
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>

#define ethRSTpin 9
#define ethCSpin 10

byte mac[] = { 0xA0, 0xA1, 0xA2, 0xA3, 0xA4, 0xA5 };
IPAddress ip(10, 0, 2, 55);
IPAddress subnet(255, 255, 255, 0);
IPAddress gateway(10, 0, 2, 1);
IPAddress dnsServer(10, 0, 2, 1);

EthernetClient client;

void setup() {pinMode(ethRSTpin, OUTPUT);[INDENT]digitalWrite(ethRSTpin, LOW);
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]delay(1000);
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]digitalWrite(ethRSTpin, HIGH);
Ethernet.init(ethCSpin);
Ethernet.begin(mac, ip, dnsServer, gateway, subnet);
[/INDENT]
}

Any advice are welcome...

Thank you very much...

Last edited:
Is it right to wire Teensy 3.6 directly to WIZ850io in the following way?

Teensy PIN ------------> WIZ850io

9 (SPI0 - RESET) -----> RSTn
10 (SPI0 - CS0) -------> SCNn
11 (SPI0 - MOSI0) ----> MOSI
12 (SPI0 - MISO0) ----> MISO
13 (SPI0 - SCK0) -----> SCLK
GND -------------------> GND

External 3.3V ---------> 3.3V

Yes, those are the correct connections.

Don't forget to connect the PWDN pin to ground. The nINT pin is the only one you should have unconnected when you're finished.

PWDN? Do you mean GND pin on WIZ850io? And about the sketch? It is correct?

Thanks a lot....

Oh, I see. On WIZ550io that pin is "NC".

Connect it to ground. Then if you ever need to use a WIZ820io, either will work.

Paul,

on SPI0 bus I have only the WIZ850io so the following code should be right, or not?

Code:
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>

#define ethRSTpin 9
#define ethCSpin 10

byte mac[] = { 0xA0, 0xA1, 0xA2, 0xA3, 0xA4, 0xA5 };
IPAddress ip(10, 0, 2, 55);
IPAddress subnet(255, 255, 255, 0);
IPAddress gateway(10, 0, 2, 1);
IPAddress dnsServer(10, 0, 2, 1);

EthernetClient client;

void setup() {

pinMode(ethRSTpin, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(ethRSTpin, LOW);
delay(1000);
digitalWrite(ethRSTpin, HIGH);

Ethernet.init(ethCSpin);
Ethernet.begin(mac, ip, dnsServer, gateway, subnet);

}

If I understand the datasheet correctly, you only need to hold the pin low for 500 us (0.5ms) and then wait another 50ms for the board to reset. I'm thinking that instead of delay 1000 you only need around 51? (or 75-100 to be safe?)

I'm also not sure if that's correct or if you need two delays?

Example:
Code:
// Hold reset pin LOW for 1ms to initiate reset
pinMode(ethRSTpin, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(ethRSTpin, LOW);
delay(1);
digitalWrite(ethRSTpin, HIGH);

// Wait another 50ms for board to become available
delay(50);

...or if you can combine both delays together and just hold the pin LOW for 50ms? (or 75-100, etc)

Last edited:
I've posted over that Wiznet forum (http://wizwiki.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5931), but after re-reading the datasheet it says this:

http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:wiz850io:start
User need to wait for 50ms after this pin is changed to HIGH to communicate with WIZ850io. (Refer to 5. Timing Diagram)

It sounds after you change the PIN back to high, you do need to wait 50ms like my example above?

Also, do we need a resistor when connecting the Teensy to the RSTn pin? The WIZ850io has a built-in pull-up resistor so I'm thinking we just directly connect the pins together without a resistor? (Arduino recommends a 470 ohm or 1k resistor when connecting output pins to other devices?)

Last edited:
It sounds after you change the PIN back to high, you do need to wait 50ms like my example above?

The library delays for 560 ms, based on the worst cast MAX811 reset pulse. See the comments in w5100.cpp for details.

If it did not do this, then you would need 50 ms between reset going high and starting communication with the chip.

Could you post a pic of the wiz850io and teensy 3.6 together?
Top View - Teensy 3.6 with adapter PCB and WIZ850io
WIZ850io_top.jpg
Side View - Teensy 3.6 with adapter PCB and WIZ850io
WIZ850io_side.jpg

The easiest and best solution is to use Paul's WIZ8x0io & SD Card Adaptor which is documented and available at https://www.pjrc.com/store/wiz820_sd_adaptor.html)

However, all of my purchased WIZ8x0io & SD Card Adaptors were in use on other projects and I needed a quick replacement so I just mounted the WIZ850io to a little perf board with the necessary wire connections.

The arrangement is similar to Paul's WIZ8x0io & SD Card Adaptor but I left off the 'extra' SD Stuff and the Voltage Regulator that Paul's adapter has.

See Paul's notes in reply #2 above. I incorporated all of the suggested connections but left out the SD Card Stuff and the Voltage Regulator

It plugs on the Teensy 3.6 exactly like his does and just works.

((People with eagle eyes may notice that the gold pins around the Teensy 3.6 SD card are not soldered...... All my soldered Teensy's were in use so I quickly put together a quick photo mockup. Rest assured that all my production units are soldered as required.

This photo is only an example to answer request for a photo showing one possible way to add a WIZ850io to a Teensy 3.x.))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back