Push button DMX commands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Looking to see if it's been done before and I cannot seem to find it so I'll ask for some help

I'm looking to build a extremely basic DMX controller. Basically I want to use about 8 arcade style buttons to trigger a DMX effect (momentarily) on when pressed. Off when released.

Would like to only run the teensy with a DMX out. Press button sends a command, that light triggers, when released, light shuts off.

I'll be running strobes as well as geyser fog machines from chauvet. Each button will be a different function for each product. One press. Green smoke. Different button. Strobe max

Any guidance?

That's a pretty broad post, and with a lot of missing detail.
Pushing buttons to make something happen? Can do
Get teensy to run DMX? probably, teensy can imitate pretty much any interface you like - especially if you have the time to bit bash it - but what DMX is I have no idea. Is it that weird multipin connection you see on the back of lights that looks like a midi connection but isn't?

You need to fill the post out a bit. Propose your solution, or at least what you can do, highlight the difficult bits and explain some of your ideas or explain what you can't do. If it's relevant to your problem post a link exaplining DMX, and how it works/why. What are you looking to use the project for/what are your priorities.

As is, you're effectively asking for the reader to go away, learn DMX, guess what you need it for and outline the entire project.

Yes, lots of people have done projects where Teensy transmitted DMX data. I've even done a couple....

This page about DmxSimple has links to several.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_DmxSimple.html

DmxSimple works on all Teensy boards, but if using Teensy LC or 3.x the serial-based code is much more efficient.

For reading buttons, I highly recommend the Bounce library. There are lots of examples. In Arduino with Teensy selected in the Tools > Boards menu, look in File > Examples > Teensy > USB_Keyboard > Buttons for a good starting point.

This project should be pretty simple if you just copy that Buttons code and use the DMX serial code to send DMX data. Just put them in the same loop, and when the Bounce functions tell you the buttons chance, just change the data the DMX code is transmitting. Easy peasy!

That's a lot. Yeah basically my plan is to
push button > teensy sends specific dmx code and value (depending on light) > release button > stop signal and reset for next button press

Thanks a lot. I'll read on those and try and dig it up. If I get lost I'll come on back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back