Teensy 3.2 doesnt get recognized anymore (Windows)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert66

Hello,

Ive been using a teensy board for a long time but it stopped getting recognized by my windows computer.

When I plug in the board via the micro usb cable windows tells me that the device can not be recognized and gives me the error 43 when looking in the device manager...

Unfortunatly I'm not sure if this happened also when it was working corectly but since it doesnt, the "Port" menu item in the Arduino IDE is grayed out and I cant select any COM-Port.

The teensy has a program on it which draws endlessly rectangles on a ILI9328 TFT touchscreen and works fine, just the computer doesnt recognize the board anymore...

I tried different cables but the one which i use mostly worked before too and I also tried reinstalling drivers and upgrading the Arduino IDE to the latest one. Tomorrow I can try a different computer but Im pretty sure that its not the computer which causes the issue. Is there anything I can try? Im currently stuck with a slow UNO R3 :(

Thanks you all for your time!

Try the recovery process, where you hold the button while plugging in the cable.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

If this works, Teensy appears as a HID device with ID 16C0:0478. It will *not* be serial in this mode. Teensy Loader should recognize it. If it does, you should be able to reprogram. Try loading something simple like the basic LED blink (File > Examples > 01.Basics > Blink).

Remember, Teensy is not natively serial. It only appears as serial and a COM port when successfully running a program you're loaded, and only if that program implements serial (Tools > USB Type was set to Serial).

Hello Paul,

Thanks a lot for your fast answer (and also for your optimized library, its a great thing! :D)
I tried the recovery and when I hold the button down while plugging it in the program doesnt start but it also seems like it still doesnt get recognized and writing a program to it doesnt seem to work too.

This is what the Arduino IDE tells me:
Sketch uses 14212 bytes (5%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
Global variables use 3544 bytes (5%) of dynamic memory, leaving 61992 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 65536 bytes.
Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to automatically reboot.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.

Also pressing the button on the teensy board doesnt seem to write the blink program on it. :(

When plugging in the Teensy while clicking the board, my program which is on the teensy doesnt run but when plugging it out and back in, its running and not the Blink example. But the program which is on the teensy works... I hope its not broken or unusable that would be really sad :( Do you have any other ideas? I tried most of the troubleshooting site but i didnt manage to make it work :/

Thanks again! :)

Edit: I checked the HID devices and also didnt find the ID when replugging the teensy

That message in Arduino means no device Arduino previously programmed was found. If something has gone wrong, that's to be expected. In other words, don't focus on the message seen in Arduino.

Instead, focus on whether your computer detects any HID device when you do the recovery process, where you hold the button while plugging in the cable. Again, this is HID device seen by the Windows Device Manager and Teensy Loader, not Arduino. If you're not getting that, I'm sad to say it's very likely your hardware has been damaged.

For troubleshooting the hardware, first do the obvious and disconnect any other circuitry so your testing only Teensy. If it still doesn't respond, you might check the 3.3V power, and the Program and Reset signals. Both of those are supposed to be 3.3V, and they're both supposed to go low while you hold the button down. That can be a quick sanity check to see if the hardware is still alive.

Thanks again for your answer!

Unfortunatly there does not come up any HID device :(
How did that happen? And is it possible to write a program to the teensy over an Arduino UNO? (I guess not :( )

Tomorrow I can check these Signals, what do you mean by "if the hardware is still alive"? What is broken? The program is still running so i guess its not the processor or ram or something?
I will also test other computers, that makes me really sad now :(

Thanks again for your time Paul! Youre the hero of this board :)

Have a good night =D (or day^^)

Hello albert,

have you overcome your problem? I have the same issue. My Teensy 3.2 board can't be recognized by Windows.

Hi, did you end up sorting out the issue with Teensy not getting recognised? I bought 40 Teensy LCs and 7 of them have the exact same issue. They were working, I loaded code, and now windows won't recognise them even though the code still runs and the pins work. In my case, I cut the usb power line join on the underside so it no longer gets power through the usb port, instead getting power through the 5v pin. It's annoying because I'll have to bin them and the circuit boards they are soldered to.

Bummer. It could be damage from soldering but I'm pretty careful, keeping temp low and no longer than 3sec. I'll have to check the voltages on the pins and if anything looks screwed. I'll have to try a new design with female headers so I can just plug the Teensy in when done.

First step: Try another USB cable (a true one with data lines, not a cheap charger cable with only two wires)
Second step: Check the HIDs on a non-Windows computer, i.e. running Linux or macOS, since Windows has sometimes problems with its "plug and pray"... On Linux, a "lsusb" on the command line will give you the needed feedback, on macOS click the Apple in the top left corner of the screen -> "About this Mac" -> "System report" -> "USB"

The teensy has a program on it which draws endlessly rectangles on a ILI9328 TFT touchscreen and works fine, just the computer doesnt recognize the board anymore...

Ok, let's start with a very simple question.

Regardless of what happens or doesn't happen on the computer, does the drawing of rectangles on the TFT stop when you press the Program button on Teensy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back