Filter for on-board Teensy 3.6 DACs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarruthers

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions on suitable filters for the on-board DAC?

Butterworth/bessel/sallen-key etc

I'm drawing up a board to help me play with the Teensy and a filter on the audio sounds like a good idea.

James

I suppose you are talking about hardware filters.

Anyway, it depends on the kind of filter you want to implement. Is it a low pass only? And I would suggest using a bandpass filter on the outputs, to cut away spurious low-frequency 1/f noise and every sampling frequency harmonics. In an ideal world you would cut above 22.05 KHz but in reality you might want to start cutting around 15-18 KHz.

I've been looking into filters like these in the last weeks and in my opinion a good topology for an output filter would be a 2nd order high pass to remove the low freq noise, and a 6th order lowpass (either sallen key or multiple feedback topology).

This could be done with a quad opamp IC "easily".

Thanks @MickMad

That all sounds about right.

Simplicity is reasonably important to me — so being able to do it with a quad opamp would be good.

A few thoughts and suggestions.

You can get off-the-shelf switched capacitor based filters that are more or less a single chip solution with a few setup pins. I wonder if that might work for your application.

You mention audio- What is the source signal's bandwidth? A synth? I wouldn't rely on the internal DAC for that unless you purposely want 8-bit or old school ensoniq sampler type sounds.

If it's wav or similar audio you just need some low pass. I doubt it would have to be anything exotic or expensive. 12dB/oct from one op amp should do the trick.

If you ARE building a synth, why not incorporate a proper synth diode ladder filter or whatnot and use PWM from the teensy to create the control voltages?

What is your application?

Jamie

A few thoughts and suggestions.

You can get off-the-shelf switched capacitor based filters that are more or less a single chip solution with a few setup pins. I wonder if that might work for your application.

You mention audio- What is the source signal's bandwidth? A synth? I wouldn't rely on the internal DAC for that unless you purposely want 8-bit or old school ensoniq sampler type sounds.

If it's wav or similar audio you just need some low pass. I doubt it would have to be anything exotic or expensive. 12dB/oct from one op amp should do the trick.

If you ARE building a synth, why not incorporate a proper synth diode ladder filter or whatnot and use PWM from the teensy to create the control voltages?

What is your application?

Jamie

WAV playback — but synth stuff would be useful too.

I don't mind slightly lo-fi.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back