Audio Board Fry Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdev

I inadvertently connected a un-resisted LED to the 3.3v power bus which caused the Audio board to buzz possibly short out.

The Teensy 3.2 appears to function correctly, however my Audio Board is no longer outputting audio.

Is there anything I can do to check with an oscilloscope or voltmeter to determine if the audio board is indeed fried?

It's unlikely that you fried the Audio Board. Just run one of the examples.
Best is to solder it to the Teensy, breadboards or any un-soldered connections are very unreliable.

But i guess, the LED is in heaven.. not a nice death.

Last edited:
Thanks Frank B. I tried the Audio example sketches without luck.

For a comparative test, I soldered together another Teensy 3.2+Audio Board+mic+thumbwheel and the audio works.

So I guess it's possible I may have fried my first Audio Board, lesson learned :(

I'm also not understanding how only this could have damaged the audio board. Maybe it touched the 5V power?

Is there anything I can do to check with an oscilloscope or voltmeter to determine if the audio board is indeed fried?

Well, when the audio board is active, you should see a 44.1 kHz square wave from its LRCLK output.

If testing without the audio lib, keep in mind the SGTL5000 chip doesn't respond at all, not even to I2C control, until it has a MCLK signal. Testing without MCLK looks like the chip is dead when in fact it's perfectly fine but staying in reset mode until it sees MCLK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back