Node Red / Audio System Design Tool Modification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting work.

With teensy 3.6 working fine but with arduino UNO not working some compiler errors (port defines ... etc.).

Many thanks
Should be ok now. Thanks

Thanks a lot, I found the problem. It was the delayNanoSeconds function I had written based on delayMicroseconds. I don't know why it compiled before, but I added the same check as the one in delayMicroseconds and it works.

I updated quite a lot of things, including these fixes.

Thanks for your help guys.

Hi Etienne

Arduino UNO/NANO working now - many thanks.

Little bug - import clipboard txt file not working in GUI

And tip for new module - Noise generator, Sample&Hold, SVF filter, Delay line :)

Thanks Kamil

Hi Kamil,

Yes the import clipboard menu doesn't work, I haven't found yet why (I'm quite new to JavaScript), you can use the keyboard short-cut "CTRL-I" instead.

Thanks for the modules suggestions, I've added them to the todo list
There's so much modules to be done...
I'll add in the docs how to create your own new modules, so everyone can easily contribute :)

The sample&Hold should be doable right now using the sync input (yellow ports at the top of some nodes).

Hi Etienne

Thanks help "CTRL-I" working.

P.S. Any news your great projects (new modules and examples) ?

Hi,

- Added nand, nor and xor/xnor gates, but I think I'll remove the negated version and add an inverted output for each gate instead.
- colours on every types of modules, added new icons and fixed a lot of display bugs
- made the info pop up in the left palette work again.

- Still a lot of things to do...
But I think I'll work on documentation only when every feature is there, so I won't have to update the doc 10 times. It's already a hassle when I change a fundamental aspect of the concept, I've often had to do a whole pass on every module.

Hi,

- Added nand, nor and xor/xnor gates, but I think I'll remove the negated version and add an inverted output for each gate instead.
- colours on every types of modules, added new icons and fixed a lot of display bugs
- made the info pop up in the left palette work again.

- Still a lot of things to do...
But I think I'll work on documentation only when every feature is there, so I won't have to update the doc 10 times. It's already a hassle when I change a fundamental aspect of the concept, I've often had to do a whole pass on every module.

Awesome work sir. The potential of this project is massive - Scratch for the embedded world.

It would be nice to see the slightly more comprehensive timer library implemented which supports oscillation as it would easily cover almost all timer needs.

https://playground.arduino.cc/Code/Timer

The wish list for a project like this could grow very long indeed.

What is your approach to platform specific functions? Generic wrapper? Or specific implementations?

Eg Midi. Would you plan to setup a generic Midi input object which compiles to Teensy Midi on Teensy platform but to arduino Midi code for generic arduino boards?

It sounds nice but I think it would be better to have two separate ones from a maintenance perspective. But this approach could get messy with 12 Different LCD display libraries for example. How do you intend to approach this?

Thanks Pensive :),

Concerning the timer library, I didn't know the Timer lib you presented, but have you seen the "Software Timer" module doing oscillations in Node-Blue ? Maybe I didn't understand what you want, but it looks like it is (except it's only software and it needs a hardware version). I'll have a look a this Timer lib and use it if it's worth.

Concerning my approach to platform specific functions, my approach is to hide as much as possible the specific aspects of each hardware using specific implementation with #ifdefs, to provide optimized code for each platform, like many libraries are doing. On the other hand I'd like to provide dedicated modules when they only exists on one platform (for example like DACs that only exists on Teensys, Due, etc).
At the moment you can choose the platform with a drop-down list box, but it's not saved with the project and it should (couldn't find out how to do that yet).

I haven't looked at the midi stuff, but I would love to merge the Teensy audio library tool with my tool (it will needs a bit of work and thinking though). Eg it would be cool if one can use my tool to connect a potentiometer to the board, connect the analog result to an audio module like sound synthesis and modulate the pitch with the potentiometer.

As you say it's going to be messy having separate versions, even from a maintenance perspective to my opinion. There's going to be potentially a lot of modules added, and I think that the problem is that the interface is not designed with this in mind. I think that instead of a linear list on the left, it should be a tree so modules could be organized properly, and it would avoid having to do massive scrolling when looking for a module.

Hello.
This thread is ancient but I'm also trying to make my own version of the GUI.
I've got node-red installed but I'm not seeing how to import the existing tool into it. There just seems to be json import but there's no json in the library.
Any clues?
Thanks!

Hi,

What is it that you want to change/add in your own version of the GUI?

Have you seen my updated version?
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/65740-Audio-System-Design-Tool-update

Writing a new tool from current node-red would require you to have a dedicated server when you want to take it online, and you can't host it on a simple hosting service.

Also there is no simple way to extract the source code to make a offline version as many things are depending on the node-red server app to work.

I guess the version of node-red that Paul made the GUI from was a lot simpler than it's today.

How would you want to import the existing tool into the node-red?

I'm adding some objects I've made so my students can more easily use them.
I've put a hacky version here just by editing the HTML.
I could put a real version on my web server if necessary.

Yes yours looks great! But it's not what I'm going for here. I just want to fork the existing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back