How to preload custom data into EEPROM on T3.x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theremingenieur

Senior Member+
My question is (hopefully) simple: Running a small production batch (actually still developing and prototyping), I'll have naturally to upload the HEX file with the program to the Teensy, but I want if possible to add some separate customization data into the EEPROM without modifying and recompiling the whole program.

I know that the actual Teensy Loader does not touch at the EEPROM, preserving its content while older versions erased it. Thus, theoretically, there should be a way to program only the EEPROM with a 1024 byte binary file. Can this be done via the Teensy loader or does another tool for that exist ?

I could solve this "problem" by sending my binary data over USBserial and include some code to write it directly into the EEPROM, but I'd most probably prefer the other approach above.

Thank you in advance for ideas and suggestions!

Other than FrankB's program doing that using HID - I've not seen another way - not even in TyCommander/TYQT. TTransfer used HID to avoid the a search for the USB device - and took PC code and Teensy code working to do that. Dumping over USB from SerMon would be a kludge of sorts - but you have to program it anyhow.

Question: doesn't the EEPROM-section work ?
__attribute__((section('.eeprom')))

I've never tried that with a Teensy 3. On the AVR-Toolchain the creates a file that gets copied to the EEPROM during programming.

Of course you can use TeensyTransfer too, but that's more complicated and the eeprom-write/read feature was intended to be used independently from programming .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back