Teensy 3.6 with Electret Microphone (MAX914) with auto gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkiokio

Teensy 3.6 with Electret Microphone (MAX9814)

Hi all,

This is my first post at PJRC forum.

I am new to teensy and have experience working on just the particle photon. I have a computer science background and new to the world of micro-controllers.

I am trying to take input from an electret microphone and show it on Serial Monitor. I have connected the microphone as follows:
teensy 3.6--> MAX9814 electret microphone
GND--> GND
3v3--> vdd
A2--> out
GND-->Gain

I am able to get peak values but they look random and garbage. I tried connecting out pin to GND to check if i get 0 as peak but it still shows the same random values. I have also tried removing the entire connection of out to A2 but it still has its random values.

Please help. I can provide additional information as required. Maybe a pin diagram or image of some sort if needed. I am using sample code for peakMeterMomo.ino for testing microphone.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Perhaps make/post a sketch showing your efforts to read and track the analog value from A2.

Unable to upload a sketch of the setup. The upload button does not appear. It shows browse and then when i browse the image from my computer it doesnt have any other button to upload that image.

Untitled.png

code used:

Code:
/* Mono Peak Meter

Scrolling peak audio level meter in the Arduino Serial Monitor

Audio input needs to connect to pin 16 (A2).  The signal range is 0 to 1.2V.
   See the documentation in the Audio System Design Tool for the recommended
   circuit to connect an analog signal.

This example code is in the public domain
*/

#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <SerialFlash.h>

// GUItool: begin automatically generated code
AudioInputAnalog         adc1;           //xy=164,95
AudioAnalyzePeak         peak1;          //xy=317,123
AudioConnection          patchCord1(adc1, peak1);
// GUItool: end automatically generated code

void setup() {
  AudioMemory(4);
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

// for best effect make your terminal/monitor a minimum of 31 chars wide and as high as you can.

elapsedMillis fps;

void loop() {
  if (fps > 24) {
    if (peak1.available()) {
      fps = 0;
      int monoPeak = peak1.read() * 30.0;
      Serial.print("|");
      for (int cnt=0; cnt<monoPeak; cnt++) {
        Serial.print(">");
      }
      Serial.println();
    }
  }
}

Last edited:
It may be browser hiding the function - but it is there to browse and upload files. Perhaps try the 'Go Advanced' for posting. Also on that page is a "#" hash mark to wrap posted code in tags to make it more readably formatted:

Back up to make sure your hardware is working. Do something really simple like this:

Code:
void setup(void) {
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop(void) {
Serial.println(analogRead(A2));
delay(10);
}

In a quiet room the number should stay about the same. Loud noises should make it move more. If that's not what you see, check your connections.

Back up to make sure your hardware is working. Do something really simple like this:

Code:
void setup(void) {
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop(void) {
Serial.println(analogRead(A2));
delay(10);
}

In a quiet room the number should stay about the same. Loud noises should make it move more. If that's not what you see, check your connections.

The output I get is in the range of 300-500 in my lab, when everyone is quiet. I also saw it drop down in the range of 25-45. I dont know which one are legit. also what do they even mean?

This product's 1.25V offset is problem.

The Teensy Audio lib's ADC input uses a 0 to 1.2V range, expecting a 0.6V offset.

It's probably going to need a hardware mod to change the offset to 0.6V, similar to this one:

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/4046...io-Lib-results?p=126317&viewfull=1#post126317

The link shows the use of MAX4466 component.
The one I am using is a MAX9814 microphone.Would that make a difference?

Also I am not a hardware electronic guy, is there another way around it?

The microphone now wors but it gives me wither values in the range of 200-500 or 25-45 when presseddown.

The output I get is in the range of 300-500 in my lab, when everyone is quiet. I also saw it drop down in the range of 25-45. I dont know which one are legit. also what do they even mean?

A few things.

First, in a quiet environment your Teensy should read around 390: the DC bias of the module is 1.25 Volts and your Teensy is running at 3.3 Volts; 1.25 / 3.3 * 1024 = 388. It will never be exact because of line power noise, random fluctuations, etc. but it should be close to that.

When the microphone picks up noise the readings will fluctuate higher and lower, if you read & mapped them out fast enough you'd see a sine wavey output like this: http://www.tropicalcoder.com/Sine.gif

So, if you're seeing big fluctuations in a quiet environment then check all your connections, power supply etc. because the noise is coming from something.

Second, per Paul's earlier message ultimately you're going to need to make a change to your microphone module to use it with the Teensy audio library. The library is expecting a 0.6 Volt bias, meaning in perfectly quiet environment it would read 0.6 Volts, and when it hears sounds the output would swing between 0 Volts and 1.2 Volts. Converting this to numbers you'd see on analogRead(), quiet would read as 186 (0.6 / 3.3 * 1024), and noises would swing between 0 and 372 (1.2 / 3.3 * 1024).

A few things.

First, in a quiet environment your Teensy should read around 390: the DC bias of the module is 1.25 Volts and your Teensy is running at 3.3 Volts; 1.25 / 3.3 * 1024 = 388. It will never be exact because of line power noise, random fluctuations, etc. but it should be close to that.

When the microphone picks up noise the readings will fluctuate higher and lower, if you read & mapped them out fast enough you'd see a sine wavey output like this: http://www.tropicalcoder.com/Sine.gif

Yes I am getting the readings as predicted above. I was also able to set up a threshold kin of limit so i can eliminate noise. I triggered a print statement when
Code:
previous_analogRead()-50<current_analogRead()<previous_analogRead()+50
It worked and it responded to specific sound events around me.

So, if you're seeing big fluctuations in a quiet environment then check all your connections, power supply etc. because the noise is coming from something.
is it necessary to get rid of fluctuations or can i just work around them? I am trying to do sound localization. Do you think fluctations would make a lot of difference?

Second, per Paul's earlier message ultimately you're going to need to make a change to your microphone module to use it with the Teensy audio library. The library is expecting a 0.6 Volt bias, meaning in perfectly quiet environment it would read 0.6 Volts, and when it hears sounds the output would swing between 0 Volts and 1.2 Volts. Converting this to numbers you'd see on analogRead(), quiet would read as 186 (0.6 / 3.3 * 1024), and noises would swing between 0 and 372 (1.2 / 3.3 * 1024).
I am stuck between the though of using a library or just writing my own code, what do u suggest. I am above average with coding languages and I am fairly certain I might be able to write a descent working code without much of library support.

I had some questions I wanted to ask,
1. Is it possible to take simultaneous input from 4 microphone son teensy 3.6?
2. Would I need an external power supply for the microphones? or Is teensy capable of supplying power to all 4 microphones?
3. Would i need to sync the inputs all 4 microphones or would it happen automatically?
4. Can i collect data from microphones in a continuous stream like a background process or would i have to iterate through the microphone inputs and then process it and loop the above process to mimic a continuous stream of data?

I really appreciate the input and explanation especially about the voltages and the reason why i would nee to mod my microphone. Is there a simple enough tutorial i can follow, how do i find it. i am not aware of the keywords i might need to look it up-.

Thank you potatotron, , defragster, PaulStoffregen and Frank B. I appreciate all your inputs and your time.

Rural hack has a similar project made by kripthor called MicLoc. I want to recreate this project and make it my own and build up on it using teensy 3.6.
http://ruralhacker.blogspot.com/p/micloc.html

Last edited:
I really appreciate the input and explanation especially about the voltages and the reason why i would nee to mod my microphone. Is there a simple enough tutorial i can follow, how do i find it. i am not aware of the keywords i might need to look it up-.

kkiokio - I'm working on a microphone module that is intended to run as quiet as possible and also output the signal with a 0.6VDC bias suitable for the Teensy. I have an Alpha prototype that I can send you for testing, if you have time. You can check it out some of the details on the Teensy Microphone forum topic. If interested, just send me a private message and I'll send you one for testing.

kkiokio - I'm working on a microphone module that is intended to run as quiet as possible and also output the signal with a 0.6VDC bias suitable for the Teensy. I have an Alpha prototype that I can send you for testing, if you have time. You can check it out some of the details on the Teensy Microphone forum topic. If interested, just send me a private message and I'll send you one for testing.

I would love that. Thank you!

I have sent you a message, please check your inbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back