removing pull-up resistor on GY-521 board w/MPU-6050

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxgeek

I have something that looks similar to this, and I want to remove the pull-up resistor cause I'm using too many modules with built-in pull-up resistors:

mpu-6050.jpg

The document I could find on this, seems to indicate it has 4.7k ohm pull-up resistors, but from another post on the forum, it seems it's typically 2.2k ohm.
If it's 2.2k ohm then it seems it's those "222" resistors. If I jump those with a piece of wire, I should be able to defeat the pull-up resistor.

Anything I should consider before lopping those off?

If the i2c device can handle 5 volts, the pull-up resistors are likely 4.7K ohm. If it is 3.3v only, the pull-up resistors are likely to be 2.2K ohm.

My board also has those "222" resistors. I think it's made to handle 3.3V or 5V. I assume that's a voltage regulator chip near the VCC port.

I'm powering it with 3.3V, but I think I can use either. I have a multimeter, but I'm not sure that helps me.

In this case it helps to identify the pullup-resistors :) If you're not sure, measure if they are connected to VCC and SDA/SCL

If it's 2.2k ohm then it seems it's those "222" resistors.

Last edited:
You mention doing two different things with the resistors. If you want to remove them because you have multiple modules with pullups then you want to de solder or cut traces to them. Jumpering them with wire will tie the whole bus to VCC.

Thank you. Thank you. Unfortunately I didn't see your post until after I managed to short the connections and try and power it up.

But everything worked after I removed the wires and just left it cut. 5 second job if I would have just pulled off the resistor and stopped there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back