Stumbled upon a Kicad library for most all of the Teeny models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaQue

I just thought it might be useful to someone. I am going to install it myself in a bit.\\https://github.com/XenGi/kicad_teensy

Edit. It looks pretty good.
tLibrary.jpg
I have a question related to it and a breakout board I may layout soon using this as a starter. The USB host pins are not included on the 3.5/3.6 footprint but I have the feeling you really wouldn't want to run those to pins plugged into a breadboard due to all the stray capacitance and interference it might cause or pick up. Would it be best to just let those connections only be used as Paul planned with a standard usb motherboard cable plugged into pins on the top (the Teensy itself)?

Last edited:
hi! dumb guy first day with Kicad... i was able to import the schematic library but I don't see the footprint, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Lorenzo

You'll only see the footprint if you are in pcb view or you can use the footprint editor to view it as well.

if I run CvPb I don't get any footprint, according on what I found online the footprints are not included in the Github, am I wrong?

There should be one file with one of these extensions:
.mod: legacy footprint module file (Obsolete, can only be read).
.pretty: footprint library folders. The folder itself is the library.
.kicad_mod: footprint files, containing one footprint description each.

Not that familiar with Kicad. But you might want to do a google search on installing libraries and head over to the kicad forum. The footprint is the large image in your posted image. If you are looking for a 3d view you get that after you click on pcbnew. Pretty makes the pretty 3d objects for you.

Just tried it and am having problems as well. Have to do a google search.

Last edited:
Hi,

XenGi and I have been updating the KiCad libraries for Teensy to include Teensy 4.0. I'd love to get feedback with suggestions or problems you might see.

Here's the latest symbol:

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 7.51.10 AM.png

And footprint:

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 7.54.40 AM.jpg

I've also been working on a SMT footprint with castellated edges to allow for a Teensy 4 to be soldered directly to a host PCB and provide access to all the pins. It requires some internal cutouts to provide access to solder to the pins and clearance for the parts on the bottom. Here's the basic idea:

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 8.00.47 AM.png

Thanks!

Hi,

XenGi and I have been updating the KiCad libraries for Teensy to include Teensy 4.0. I'd love to get feedback with suggestions or problems you might see.

Thanks!

1. I don't believe numbering the pins on the schematic symbol with yet another meaningless number is useful. This might be different if Teensy had numbered the cheat cards like this but they don't.

Examples are of 3.2.
symbols.pngfootprints.jpg

In both the schematic and the pwb the number provides nothing but confusion.

2. The schematic symbol should be concerned with electrical-digital stuff and arranged so. I find the right symbol much easier to use and find signals. Also, long and skinny(but wide enough for pin text is better than fat.

3. Somethings not right with the pin definitions on your 3.2. You can see on the right footprint the rats nest is automatically connecting the gnds, not on the left. Also missing pins?

4. Should provide footprints for at least two configurations IMHO, all the pins so somebody modifying can just delete, and just the two outer rows for protoboard use so a user doesn't have to.

5. The library name should be Teensy_XenGi to distinguish from others attempts.

6. The 3d symbols should be part of it too although I realize that not everyone can make them. I'll probably make one and post.

Sorry if I sound critical, (but I am) and you asked ;)

Thanks for the awesome feedback. I'm only responsible for the Teensy 4.0 parts in this library, but I'm happy to give my perspective...

1. I don't believe numbering the pins on the schematic symbol with yet another meaningless number is useful. This might be different if Teensy had numbered the cheat cards like this but they don't.

In both the schematic and the pwb the number provides nothing but confusion.
[2. The schematic symbol should be concerned with electrical-digital stuff and arranged so. I find the right symbol much easier to use and find signals. Also, long and skinny(but wide enough for pin text is better than fat.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. Pin names and the pin numbers serve two different purposes for me. The name indicates the function of the pin and the number indicates its physical location on the part. When debugging, I really appreciate some relationship between the pin location on the schematic and the physical spot on the part. I also find it valuable when choosing pins for specific functions because if I have several to choose from, knowing the mechanical relationships is useful when selecting the pin.

The Teensy layouts are complicated with pins going around the edge and then scattered underneath the middle of the part. I took some care in the T4 version to have them be in some reasonable order that would help me figure out.

Of course, much of this is a matter of taste. Please offer a better design that can be added to the library. No reason not to have multiple versions that suit different needs.

3. Somethings not right with the pin definitions on your 3.2. You can see on the right footprint the rats nest is automatically connecting the gnds, not on the left. Also missing pins?

5. The library name should be Teensy_XenGi to distinguish from others attempts.
I'll leave this to XenGi to investigate. Not sure if he's listening here, maybe open a GitHub issue?

4. Should provide footprints for at least two configurations IMHO, all the pins so somebody modifying can just delete, and just the two outer rows for protoboard use so a user doesn't have to.
Excellent suggestion!

6. The 3d symbols should be part of it too although I realize that not everyone can make them. I'll probably make one and post.
Please do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back