Problem with new Dell 8900 pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgidave

Hi All,

I just brought up a new development machine, a Dell XPS 8900 desktop, and I'm experiencing a problem that appears to be specific to the Teensy products. I've been doing Arduino and AVR development for a while now. Historically, things have been working well. My development environment of choice is Ubuntu Linux and I am currently using Ubuntu 16.04. The problem appears to be with the way Teensyduino works with the USB port. My previous system is a Dell Optiplex 330. Everything works fine on that machine and I am continuing development on it while I try to figure out what is going on with the new machine.

After setting up the new machine with Ubuntu, Arduino, and Teensyduino, and plugging in a Teensy device, lsusb shows:

Bus 001 Device 016: ID 16c0:0483 Van Ooijen Technische Informatica Teensyduino Serial

and the tty device shows up as:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Mar 15 11:06 ttyACM0.

All looks good. When I try to download code to a Teensy device, Teensyduino seems to start the download but then stops before it is complete and just hangs there. It finally times out and I get this message:

Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to automatically reboot.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.

Pressing the program mode button does not start things back up again.

If I do an lsusb at that time the USB network still shows this:

Bus 001 Device 015: ID 16c0:0478 Van Ooijen Technische Informatica Teensy Halfkay Bootloader

If I list the tty devices, the Teensy device has disappeared. If I unplug the Teensy device and plug it back in, the tty device come back and everything looks normal again.

I see this problem with all Teensy devices I have, Teensy 3.2, 3.5, and 3.6.

I hooked up an Arduino UNO to see if that would work and was able to download code to it just fine.

Seems there is a problem with the Teensyduino code and newer USB networks at least when it comes to Dell XPS 8900 systems. I still have my old system up and running so I can just continue my Teensy development on that but it would sure be nice to move over to the new system, it's much faster.

What can I do to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Last edited:
If I list the tty devices, the Teensy device has disappeared.

This is normal. Teensy uses HID protocol, not serial, for all programming. Serial is only used when your program runs, and only if Serial was selected in Arduino's Tools > USB Type menu.

Teensy is *NOT* natively a serial device, so do not follow the "everything is a serial port" approach used for troubleshooting Arduino boards.

Huh... I was running a different udev rules file I had pulled over from the old system and it at least allowed user access to the USB device. I changed over to the new 49-teensy.rules and things appear to be working better. I still get the error message:

Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to automatically reboot.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.

But after a short wait, the download happens and the device start working. I can live with that! I guess I need to compare the two udev rules file and see what is different...

EDIT: The above error message was received while testing on an older 3.2 device. When I plugged in the 3.5 device that I have been developing with, even that message has gone away. All looks good at this time!

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back