Is my Teensy 3.5 dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomEve25

I am trying to get my Teensy 3.5 to run for the first time and I fear it may be dead...

The only modifications I made were that I soldered pins onto the board.

I plugged the Teensy into my laptop and the LED turned on and started flashing. I then tried to upload my code using the Arduino IDE and Teensyduino and my code wouldn't upload with this error:

Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to automatically reboot.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.

So i pressed the program mode button and the LED on the Teensy turned off and didn't come back on. After a while I unplugged the teensy and plugged it back in and the LED would start flashing again and the same would happen as above. I tried this a couple of times and then suddenly when I plugged the board back into my laptop the LED stopped lighting up (and hasn't since, even after rebooting my Laptop) and it isn't being recognized by my laptop. Unfortunately I didn't think to check if my laptop recognized the teensy when the LED was still coming on...

I've checked to make sure that none of the solder points are touching (they aren't) and also tried to see if I could find any evidence of a short circuit but didn't find any. I ordered the board off of Amazon and I'm using Arduino 1.8.1 and Teensyduino 1.35 and I've put the code I'm trying to run for now if that makes any difference.

Does anyone think they could help me figure out what went wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!

//-----Analog Inputs-----
#define Throttle A14 //Pin 33 is the throttle
#define JoyL_X A16 //Pin 35 is left joystick X axis
#define JoyL_Y A15 //Pin 34 is left joystick Y axis
#define JoyR_X A12 //Pin 31 is Right joystick X axis
#define JoyR_Y A13 //Pin 32 is Right joystick Y axis

//-----Digital Inputs-----
//#define Button1 1 //Pin 1 is button 1
//#define Button2 2 //Pin 2 is button 2
//#define Button3 3 //Pin 3 is button 3
//#define Button4 4 //Pin 4 is button 4
//#define Button5 5 //Pin 5 is button 5
//#define Button6 6 //Pin 6 is button 6
//#define Button7 7 //Pin 7 is button 7
//#define Button8 8 //Pin 8 is button 8
//#define Button9 9 //Pin 9 is button 9
//#define Button10 10 //Pin 10 is button 10
//#define Button11 11 //Pin 11 is button 11
//#define Switch1 24 //...
//#define Switch2 25
//#define Switch3 26
//#define Switch4 27
//#define Switch5 28
//#define Switch6 29
//#define Switch7 30

//-----Analog Outputs-----

//-----Digital Outputs-----
#define Switch1LED 23 //The LED paired with Switch1 is on pin 23
#define Switch2LED 22 //The LED paired with Switch2 is on pin 22

void setup() {
//-----Input Pins-----
pinMode(Throttle, INPUT);
pinMode(JoyL_X, INPUT);
pinMode(JoyL_Y, INPUT);
pinMode(JoyR_X, INPUT);
pinMode(JoyR_Y, INPUT);

//Set pin mode for Buttons
int n = 1;
while (n<=11)
{
pinMode(n, INPUT_PULLUP);
n = n+1;
}

//Set pin mode for Switches
n = 4;
while (n<=30)
{
pinMode(n, INPUT_PULLUP);
n = n+1;
}

//-----Output Pins-----
pinMode(Switch1LED, OUTPUT);

}

void loop() {

}

Suggested checks:
confirm you still have 5V on 3.3 on the power pins
Load up blink, mod the time so it's uneven (500msec/1000msec)
select upload, probably get errors
Press the reset button once, wait to see if your PC beeps or otherwise acknowledges USB happening
Press and hold the reset button for 15 seconds as per 4th post:
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/40417-Unable-to-program-Teensy-3-5
Still no luck swap out USB cable and make sure it's in a different port (watch for any complaints from PC about power draw when you plug it in)
If at now point any USB activity happened then it's looking pretty dire for the board.

Any update with the GremlinWrangler's steps?

What you describe seems normal up to the 'suddenly when' part - out of the wrapper the Teensy has no USB. Since the button is Program not Reset - it will stop the blink. And as suggesting in the link below the PC USB can get beside itself with fast plug and unplug/dissapearing while it is trying to get a handle on the device. Doing a PC restart can help save a wait for it to trust talking to the device if that happens.

This post has the best steps I've used and suggested for getting a seemingly unresponsive Teensy Back and blinking happily.

That post has simple blink code that also prints out USB. It doesn't do an asymmetric blink - which might be nice to differentiate the factory blink, but on power up for 4 seconds it does do a unique FAST 50 ms blink unless USB connects first ... embarrassing - I used delay instead of the elapsedMillis I use in loop().

Thanks for the help guys!

I checked the power pins first and they did in fact have power so I tried to use the program mode button only for it to not work. Initially I didn't think it was the cable due to the fast that it seemed like the chip had crashed trying to program it and the cable I was using appeared to have all of the appropriate pins but on a whim I found another micro USB cable and tried again. Long story short, it worked! I have been able to use the Teensy it with no issues since!

Thanks again!

For what it's worth I appeared to have a dead board too... was blinking when I got it but never showed up in Teenyduino and could never upload to it. Did a hardware reset and ended up with no blinking.

Eventually tried my 4th cable (all previous were proper USB, not just charging cables, including an Apple branded one) and then with the last cable everything worked just fine. Looks like the board is very sensitive to the cable. I'd previously been using a Teensy 3.2 and there was no issues at all with the first cable which is what made me think it just wasn't going to be the cable... Incidently the Apple cable didn't work with the Teensy 3.2.

Just had the same problem. Teensy 3.5 like dead and no serial port in Windows 7. Applied the procedure from link in post #3 and now it is alive and well.

When I first received my Teensy 3.5 it would not respond to the USB port, came across a suggestion from Paul S. indicating that the 3.5 & possibly 3.6 USB cables need to be plugged directly into the PC USB port, not a hub or port extender. Did that and it's been working flawlessly since.

Seems that Teensy is very picky about Arduino's Serial Monitor. Today two times bricked Teensy 3.5 just opening Serial Monitor while code download/restart was not fully completed (wanted to pick up some early logs).

Maybe you're experiencing the Windows 7 driver bugs in USBSER.SYS? The sad news is all pre-10 versions of Windows have this very confusing bug in their serial driver, where the *next* time you try to use the port it can appear to be dead, if you unplug the USB cable or press the button on Teensy while any program has the port open.

Microsoft *finally* fixed this problem in Windows 10. If you can upgrade or use another machine with Windows 10 (or Linux or Macintosh), you'll probably have a much better experience. The sad reality is Windows XP, 7 & 8 just aren't very good for USB serial. :(

You can also use Tools > USB Type to select a non-serial option, like MIDI or RawHID. In those cases, you can still use the serial monitor. A HID interface is used to emulate serial, so Serial.print() still works. The speed isn't as fast as normal serial, but it's still pretty good (still *much* faster than boards using actual hardware serial at 115200 baud). All versions of Windows have good quality HID drivers.

Maybe you're experiencing the Windows 7 driver bugs in USBSER.SYS? The sad news is all pre-10 versions of Windows have this very confusing bug in their serial driver, where the *next* time you try to use the port it can appear to be dead, if you unplug the USB cable or press the button on Teensy while any program has the port open.

Microsoft *finally* fixed this problem in Windows 10. If you can upgrade or use another machine with Windows 10 (or Linux or Macintosh), you'll probably have a much better experience. The sad reality is Windows XP, 7 & 8 just aren't very good for USB serial. :(
Just checked few times on Windows 10 machine. Indeed, cannot brick my Teensy the way Windows 7 does. Good little Teensy :)

Windows 7 generally worked - there were times it would fail to see a Teensy IIRC, not sure if it was USBSER.sys issue - I would plug in a second Teensy - program upload - and it would work fine and in the process it seemed to untangle USB confusion and the failed unit would then work. This has been a while since moved to Win 10 - but that is the gist as I recall it.

Looking at the link I posted above - that was the reason for this added line:
"> If you have a second working Teensy connect it once and download this sketch to see your system work, then retry the steps above."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back