Teensy LC used to control VS1053 codec +sd mp3/wav/midi play and rec

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetbb

Hi,

I am considering buying the VS1053 codec +sd mp3/wav/midi play and rec board, in order to build a midi 'synthesizer'. All I want it to do, is to be able to plug a midi keyboard in using the USB cable, and then to be able to play midi directly from the keyboard, and to control the VS1053 codec +sd mp3/wav/midi play and rec board with midi messages. By this i mean, that when I want to play a piano sound, I want to send messages to allow me to do that. Or to play an organ sound, I will need to send different messages in order to setup the organ sound.

Will the Teensy LC be appropriate for this job, or should I be looking at a more powerful Teensy?

Regards,

Brian.

If you need to use the audio library, a lot of the library depends on features of the 3.2/3.5/3.6 boards that just aren't in the LC. It really depends on what kind of processing you need to do.

Yes, Teensy LC should work if the VS1053 does all the audio. USB MIDI and serial MIDI (with the appropriate optocoupler circuit) work great on Teensy LC.

But you really ought to consider just a little more for 3.2 or 3.6. It has quite a lot of synthesis capability, and you can play MP3 files with Frank's MP3 lib. You'll be locking yourself out of those possibilities with LC.

Thank you Paul. Yes, I have seen a project where a person created a virtual drawbar organ, in which I am extremely interested in making as well. But this pjorect above, is merely to be able to play the standard GM sounds, from a midi controller keyboard.

Just to confirm again, the Teensy can 'send' as well as 'receive' midi messages, is my understanding correct?

Just to confirm again, the Teensy can 'send' as well as 'receive' midi messages, is my understanding correct?

Again, yes, Teensy LC can indeed send and receive MIDI, on both USB and regular serial MIDI. It can even do both of those simultaneously, both sending and receiving.

Teensy 3.6 can also work as a USB host. In host mode, you can connect other USB MIDI device. So far, host most only receives. No other Teensy has USB host.

Teensy LC can implement USB MIDI device mode and serial MIDI, but not USB host.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back