C64 Emulation with Teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds good - glad you didn't order the new PCB's yet! That would make using the SD2IEC add on much easier. Especially given the trouble of Floppy drives - being slow and costing so much and then not working very long.

One like this: NEU-SD2IEC-mini-fur-Commodore-64-128-VC20-4-C64DTV-1541 - even in GERMAN which I cannot read except metric size and 8GB - much bigger than a BOX of floppies!

Or this 2GB one? : Internal-fit-SD2IEC-Commodore-1541-Disk-Drive-Emulator-SD-Card-Reader-C64-Vic20 - attach External LED's and Eject button?

Emulation does have a certain 'purity' aspect to it, like model making.
One can build a perfect 1/10th re-creation of a brand name bulldozer in the spirit of fine artisan-ship, or one can engineer a similar size rc vehicle of one's own theme, one that pushes the dirt around.
Both approaches have their value. I find emulation interesting, but I guess, I just like to see what I can do with a device. I admit, it gets kinda challenging to re-create all the functionality to properly call something an emulation, gotta hand it to you, it seems really tough.

But now I'm meandering off topic, so I'll maybe start another thread.

The problem is, most software will not work if you don't make the emulation compatible enough. Remember, there are (almost) no OS calls.. all depends on registers and at least a good number of games on exact timing. Its not like software for a PC. On C64 even the floppy cant work without exact timing. Using a more simple aproach results in not working software.

Last edited:
That sounds good - glad you didn't order the new PCB's yet! That would make using the SD2IEC add on much easier. Especially given the trouble of Floppy drives - being slow and costing so much and then not working very long.

One like this: NEU-SD2IEC-mini-fur-Commodore-64-128-VC20-4-C64DTV-1541 - even in GERMAN which I cannot read except metric size and 8GB - much bigger than a BOX of floppies!

Or this 2GB one? : Internal-fit-SD2IEC-Commodore-1541-Disk-Drive-Emulator-SD-Card-Reader-C64-Vic20 - attach External LED's and Eject button?

Hi Tim, both should work. I bought the first one, and added two buttons and LEDs. With 8GB, you can store more C64 Software than was ever written... ;)

can a teensy emulate a c64 drive? I have a actual c64, but no drives or cables or power supply yet. cant wait to get it running again.

@firehopper A Teensy could do that with the right code written - the boards linked in posts just above do it with an AVR chip it seems - so just for that purpose it would be more than needed. In this case Frank's Teensy 64 emulating the c64 interfaces to one of those. If you follow the ebay links there are a couple versions - one seems to plug right onto the adapter.

@firehopper A Teensy could do that with the right code written - the boards linked in posts just above do it with an AVR chip it seems - so just for that purpose it would be more than needed. In this case Frank's Teensy 64 emulating the c64 interfaces to one of those. If you follow the ebay links there are a couple versions - one seems to plug right onto the adapter.

@firehopper: A sourcecode is here: https://www.sd2iec.de/ You need to port it to Teensy.
I want to do that sometime, but that will take a while..
The good news is, since it runs on an AVR, a Teensy LC or 3.2 might be OK.

@firehopper: A sourcecode is here: https://www.sd2iec.de/ You need to port it to Teensy.
I want to do that sometime, but that will take a while..
The good news is, since it runs on an AVR, a Teensy LC or 3.2 might be OK.

nice. as for porting, I have no skill in that reguard. it might be nice to be able to get it running on a 3.6 since it has a built in sd card slot.

nice. as for porting, I have no skill in that reguard. it might be nice to be able to get it running on a 3.6 since it has a built in sd card slot.

A T_3.6 would be overkill for that. As noted there is an existing test[ed] solution in Germany for ~$25 US (+$8 ship) - less than the cost of T_3.6 and already tested to work and uses just an 8 bit AVR processor AFAIK. It runs off 5V it seems from FrankB's PCB update - excluding the SD power, the AVR should take much less power than a T_3.6.

In fact FrankB suggested (post #97) he may have enough room and power left on the T_3.6 to include Floppy emulation on top of his full system emulation - but that wouldn't directly help your REAL C64.

Last edited:
interesting. I'll have to see what I can do about getting one, need a power supply and a video cable yet. I want to get more c64's though, this is a really early one with the older style video output without the svideo out.. so it might not look as nice on a lcd tv.

This project is awesome. I have ordered a 3.6 and ili9341 just for this so I can build one of my own. I love the C64, was there in the day and have a boxloads of dusty old hardware and software to try out. I am struck by the possibilities of putting real 64 hardware on this thing.

Something I was tinkering with a few months ago was a SID control module a bit like a SIDstick, with a SID + inverter mounted on a pro mini to provide SID registers over I2C. I think the filters on my one and only loose SID (8580) are shot though, making it tricky to debug and test fully. Hard to find a good deal on a replacement SID these days. This was to be a peripheral for a Teensy midi synth I will probably never finish (currently using Frank's brilliant Teensy softSID library) but should be dead simple to bring into Teensy64 for real hardSID sound.

I would like to put my hand up for a PCB if/when they become available. Just tell me where to send money.

I would like to put my hand up for a PCB if/when they become available.

I've ordered a new batch of boards - should'nt take too long.
But i'm still struggling with some problems which are very hard to debug - some software will not work until the problems are fixed.

I don't want to mis-use this forum, and i'm searching for a better solution for this project. Maybe an own forum or blog or something like that and a central page which lists "HOWTOs" and a list of compatible/incompatible software - I suppose we need more than one thread - but on the other hand don't want to invest too much effort into this - and better spend my free time for the code.
Still looking for ideas...

I don't want to mis-use this forum, and i'm searching for a better solution for this project. Maybe an own forum or blog or something like that and a central page which lists "HOWTOs" and a list of compatible/incompatible software
I just noticed Paul added a new sub-forum specially for adding blog entries. This might be a useful item to go there.

Ok, most(/all?) keyboards are working now.

@Robin, can you please close this thread ?
I'll open a new one in "Blog Project Submission" tomorrow.

I have a few boards
@Paul, Defragster sends one to you when he receives his boards (will take a few days).

Price will be 39€ (or 39$ for US) + shipping. The C64-IEC connector is hard to find+buy - if you don't need one, it is 37€.
Included are all electronic parts (all trough-hole, no SMD) without: Teensy 3.6 and ILI9341 touch Display, nylon screws/bolts (3mm).
@all: Please write a mail! ( f.foesing at gmx dot de )

A working version of the sourcecode will be available tomorrow on my github account.

Last edited:
The new Project thread is alive. The board I got from Frank works for me and was easy to assemble! (though I did one lame solder joint as noted somewhere that broke usb_host on wireless keyboards until fixed :( ) Indeed I have a set of PCB's on the way and will have parts to make kits for Frank to ship within US. One will go to PJRC as Frank notes when I get the PCB and parts. Hong Kong post was quoted at near the end of September ... we'll see when they arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back