OctoWS8211 - Pre Planning wire length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparisse

I am planning balcony lighting that can run programs on holidays and special occasions.

The total length to the balcony is 32' with 8 evenly spaced verticals that will each have a 1M (60 LED) WS8211 strip.

Power is on one side. I was thinking of running AC to a 5V 50A PS with big cable (Awg 6 or 8) running the 32' length and feeding the LED strips. I am budgeting 5A per strip which allows for overhead and changing to RGBW in the future.

Question 1: Is 32' considered a long run for either power or data? I can run the AC to the middle of the balcony and have two 16' power/data runs (left and right) but that will put the power and electronics enclosure in and unsightly place. I'd rather overcome the I/R drop with bigger wire if power was the only consideration. I worry that 32' might be too far for data. I am using shielded CAT6 cable.

Question 2: I would like to run RGBW since this is an architectural application and most of the time the program will be "solid, dim, lightly tinted warm white". What is the status of libraries that will enable a fourth LED?

Any advice will be much appreciated! Thanks.

Jeff

Hi jparisse,
just a quick assumption 32' = 32 feet = ~10m
I have used data cables for OctoWS with well over 10m with no problem - I used CAT6 - but splitted it up in pairs, and kept them twisted as far as possible.

IMG_0086.jpg

Raz

Question 1: Is 32' considered a long run for either power or data?

Yes, 32 feet is "long" for TTL level data and 5 amps where you can not tolerate more than about 1V drop (0.5V in each wire).

Question 2: I would like to run RGBW .... What is the status of libraries that will enable a fourth LED?

The status is somewhere between "untested" and "not supported". However, I did buy some a while ago. They're still sitting unopened in a big pile of hardware I'll someday get around to testing with various libraries....

Thanks Guys for the input! The only reason I do not want to place the micro controller in the middle is the unsightliness of a box at the base of the balcony right smack in the middle. However, I am willing to do it given the alternative of level shifting the TTL up for a long run (which to me seems like work).

I was going to make the power run with #2 or #4 AWG so the power run doesn't scare me. The #2 data cable was going to be shielded for a bit more than half it's length before I broke out the twisted pairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back