Fab terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalgimp

(I would ask them, but it takes them a very long time to reply, they do not have a FAQ, and I fear a language gap.) Please look at https://www.pcbway.com/member/order/orderonline.aspx . Go to the "Assembly" section.

What does quantity mean? Wouldn't it be the same as the quantity of boards?
Why does it ask if I want a stencil? I assume that the stencil is for surface mount soldering.
Do an estimate for assembly. What does "assembly service price" mean? Note that each value is "pcs" which I assume means pieces. If it means number of component pieces, didn't I supply that in the estimate?

That link goes to a sign on page, so not seeing what you are seeing, just the various public pages.
Quantity may be in blocks of 10 actual PCBs given what I could see of their example pricing, or may go back to one panel worth of PCBs before they get broken apart.
Stencil would be for surface mounting, if they are doing assembly they should be doing their own, and I think that's what the page was saying with 'free stencil with assembly'.
Lacking the context for the assembly price, but is that the cost 'per unit' as in the time to get each board mounted for assembly, and then packed for shipping?

What does quantity mean? Wouldn't it be the same as the quantity of boards?

Usually this is the number of your board. If you've specified an array, it can sometimes mean the number of arrays that have multiple copies of your board, so clear communication is important. Often it's difficult to have clear communication with Chinese vendors, especially ones who (probably) just resell service from others.

Why does it ask if I want a stencil?

Because they'd very much like to sell you other services....

Do an estimate for assembly. What does "assembly service price" mean?

Some of these companies make money by reselling your contact info. More details about the possible business opportunities means they can offer your contact info to companies who do PCB assembly or other related services.

Note that each value is "pcs" which I assume means pieces.

Yes, it's a common abbreviation for pieces. Personally, it seems a little silly to me to abbreviate a 6 letter word.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back