TeensyduinoInstall.linuxarm won't run on Raspberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicycleguy

I'm having trouble getting TeensyduinoInstall.linuxarm to install on a Rasberrypi 2.

Arduino 1.8.1 Runs fine (except no Teensyduino :( )
linux flavor ? How do I find? Installed a while ago. Desktop has a Debian help nemu but I think it's Raspbian from Adafruit.

Put the 49-teensy.rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d/
ran
chmod 755 TeensyduinoInstall.linuxarm
then:
./TeensyduinoInstall.linuxarm

Process manager shows 100% activity for about 4 seconds then nothing. No Teensyduino Install window, no change to Arduino.

I tried 'apt-get remove Arduino' to get rid of an old Arduino 1.0 but that didn't seem to help, still never get to the part where it asks where Arduino is.

I'm currently waiting for an apt-get upgrade since I haven't done that in > year.

Any ideas? Is there some way to see progress? Tried ./TeensyduinoInstall.linuxarm -v and -V and -l

Last edited:
Which version? I have 1.81 running on RPI3 with 1.36beta2 other beta version for linux arm was not there yet.

Looks like it is still not there...

I assume you are running this from a Gui screen and not from putty like window?
I always forget how the chmod number are, but I usually have done using: chomod +x ...

It has been awhile since I tried on RPI2... But could probably drag one out if that would help?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Which version? I have 1.81 running on RPI3 with 1.36beta2 other beta version for linux arm was not there yet.

Looks like it is still not there...

I assume you are running this from a Gui screen and not from putty like window?
I'm running from a Gui, the version is Arduino 1.8.1
I always forget how the chmod number are, but I usually have done using: chomod +x ...
they both give the same result:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 80085512 Jan 17 22:57 TeensyduinoInstall.linuxarm
It has been awhile since I tried on RPI2... But could probably drag one out if that would help?

Maybe I should try the beta?

Just for completeness, if others are as dense as me, after the above steps the 1.36beta2 works for me now. But I probably should be using the released 1.35 version. Somehow I was following links to software not ready yet, i.e. beta3 and beta4 for linuxarm.

The train and discussion at https://forum.pjrc.com/forums/6-Announcements clearly show the Teensduino released and beta status.

Process manager shows 100% activity for about 4 seconds then nothing.

Does "then nothing" mean the process terminates? During those 4 seconds, you see the process ID (pid) number, right? Or does the process stay (idle) with no window displays? Is that pid number still in the list of processes running (or idle) on your Pi?

Does anything print in the terminal where you ran it? Do "then nothing" mean the terminal stays unresponsive (meaning the process is still running or hung)? Or do you get another prompt from the shell, meaning the process completed?

If the process is still running after those 4 seconds (where it uncompresses itself), perhaps the window is simply somewhere you can't see it? Maybe located off-screen or minimized or behind another window?

Quick note: today I downloaded current Raspian for RPI2 and installed it.

I then downloaded and installed Arduino 1.8.1 and Teensyduino 1.34. I did not install 1.8.2 as I don't believe there is any arm release of Teensyduino that will install on it.

This time I used the GUI to set the teensyduino as executable and then ran it. It appeared to install without problems.

Does "then nothing" mean the process terminates? During those 4 seconds, you see the process ID (pid) number, right? Or does the process stay (idle) with no window displays? Is that pid number still in the list of processes running (or idle) on your Pi?

Does anything print in the terminal where you ran it? Do "then nothing" mean the terminal stays unresponsive (meaning the process is still running or hung)? Or do you get another prompt from the shell, meaning the process completed?

If the process is still running after those 4 seconds (where it uncompresses itself), perhaps the window is simply somewhere you can't see it? Maybe located off-screen or minimized or behind another window?
Unfortunately, I didn't have the Process Manager window open when I originally tried the install. When I try it now it only last ~ 1/4 second or maybe the update rate of the process manager. It gets a PID number and then goes away. It's at the bottom of the CPU% sorted display, i.e. lowest CPU and then disappears.

Nothing prints on the terminal and I get a new prompt after a fraction of a second after the first attempted run.

If it were me, I would probably downloading it again, in case it got corrupted.

Side note: awhile ago when I tried installing on Odroid C2 (64 bit arm). After I was able to get the Arduino to install, Teensyduino would not run. To fix it there I had to
do: sudo apt-get install libxft2:armhf
But again Odroid running 64 bit... But the reason I mention this, is maybe your version of RPI has an incompatible library.

Also question would be are you running raspbian? Or something else?

I downloaded the TeensyduinoInstall.linuxarm 1.36 beta #2 again and had same result, this time while running tops in another LXTerminal window. The process has a pid and runs at 100% for about 4 seconds, then terminates. PiD goes away. No window or result I can see. The terminal prompt comes back with no additional output.

Does the system log show anything?
something like: tail -n 100 /var/log/syslog

or I think you might be able to use something like: journalctl

I finally got Teensyduino 1.36 beta #2 to run on Arduino 1.8.1 on my Raspbian Raspberry Pi 2. Teensyduino 1.35 was working fine but I can't leave well enough alone. Not sure what the problem was but possibly my impatience with the slowness of the procedure on pi2 caused me to mess things up. I deleted all the old copies of the installer because I couldn't tell which one was running. That seemed to make it work. I probably corrupted them somehow. They had various file sizes from 62 to 80 megs.

My advice would be:
1.Download the file and then quit the browser and anything else to free up memory and cpu cycles.
2.In terminal switch to the directory the file is in, probably ~/Downloads/
3.do the chmod 755 TeensyduinoInstall.linuxarm
4.open another terminal window and run tops
5.Go back to the first terminal window and run the file ./TeensyduinoInstall.linuxarm
6.Observe in the tops window that the process is running.
7.Read 'Linux for dummies' again while waiting for the install window to appear.

thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back