Teensy 3.0 "beta8" Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Update: Teensyduino for Teensy 3.0 has been officially released. These beta test copies will be removed.

Here is the latest "beta8" release for Teensy 3.0

Old beta download links removed. Please use the latest version:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

This version includes a fix from Bill Greiman for a memory allocation bug.

USB Keyboard support is also added. Mouse and Joystick are not yet implemented.

The Servo library is now supported.

Thanks so much! Keyboard is working well so far for what I need...

Is there a way for non-Arduino software to access the emulated Serial port from Windows 7 when in Keyboard mode?

Also, I am seeing the 9 second delay you mention when reflashing my Teensy 3.0 on Windows 7 only in Keyboard mode.

Thank you Paul!

Is it possible for someone to upload just the build tools and core files? I am using 3G internet, not so fun...

Teensy 3 for joystick

i wanted a teensy specifically for emulating a usb joystick. i bought the teensy 3 but it looks like that will not work. i installed the teensy 3 software and the joystick examples showed up but when i tried to test and compile an example i got an error (joystick not declared in this scope with the first instance of a joystick function (Joystick.useManualSend(true); highlighted)) that seemed to indicate that there was no joystick library available or ??? also in the choice of boards under tools, only teensy 2 , 2 and the ++ varieties are shown, no teensy 3. should the teensy 3 work with teensy2 selected? i do not actually have the board yet, i am just trying to eliminate as many problems as possible in advance so i can get this working as soon as i get the board i ordered.

all i need the teensy for at this point is to use as a joystick. i am currently very happy with the digilent chipkit for most of what i do but want the teensy for usb joystick that can be used by others for input to my perl programs.

should i immediately buy a teensy 2 for this application? i can not wait long for the teensy 3 to be compatible.

I've been working on the joystick code this week. All the code is written, but there's a bug somewhere that's preventing the PC from seeing that usb endpoint, so it's currently not working. I'd like to give you a specific day when it'll be available, but the best I can tell you right now is that I am definitely working on this, the code is written, and I'm working to find and fix a bug that's preventing the code from communicating.

Awesome, Paul. This is a most exciting development project to watch, and progress is incredible. The board is an absolute marvel and the price is fantastic (that really matters to some of us basket cases :)

I've been working on the joystick code this week. All the code is written, but there's a bug somewhere that's preventing the PC from seeing that usb endpoint, so it's currently not working. I'd like to give you a specific day when it'll be available, but the best I can tell you right now is that I am definitely working on this, the code is written, and I'm working to find and fix a bug that's preventing the code from communicating.

thanks, i ordered the teensy 2 and ++2 so i will be covered in a few days. will learn how the teensy works with the 3 that will arrive sooner.

Cool! Thanks for incorporating the interrupt prototypes!

If it helps at all, I've got some temporary code working for interrupt priority levels. It only works for 0-15, though; using 0-255 just resulted in the processor ignoring the lower-order bits. Not sure if there's a setting for that I don't know about, or a field I should be accessing that reveals the number of bits in use. I looked at the manuals but couldn't work it out.

#define NVIC_SET_PRIORITY(n, p) (*((volatile uint8_t *)0xE000E400 + n) = p << 4)

Hope I'm not causing trouble--I'm just really excited about the speed and word-size advantages this system offers over the traditional Arduino, so I'm diving right in to a big project.
Thanks so much for all your hard work! It's a really terrific system!
-Nick

Hi, I'm fairly new to the arduino/teensy world and I was hoping to test out the new usb keyboard feature but when ever I try to verify/compile the code I get an error saying that 'Keyboard' is only supported with Arduino Leonardo. I have extracted the beta8 to a folder and installer the teensyduino 1.10 to that folder. Maybe I'm missing something else? Also I'm running on Win7 but I have also tried it on Ubuntu x64. beta7 seems to work like it should but with beta8 I can't verify/compile code that would usualy work with beta7. Thanks for you help

I have extracted the beta8 to a folder and installer the teensyduino 1.10 to that folder. Maybe I'm missing something else? Also I'm running on Win7 but I have also tried it on Ubuntu x64. beta7 seems to work like it should but with beta8 I can't verify/compile code that would usualy work with beta7.

Wait - you put beta 8 in a folder and then 1.10 on top of that in the same folder? You should either use 1.10 (for stable but older code, Teensy 2.0 and ++ 2.0 only) or use one of the betas (newer code, some bugfixes, some instability; Teensy 3.0, 2.0 and ++ 2.0) in a different folder.

I just tried Examples > 09.USB > Keyboard > KeyboardMessage in beta8. It compiled cleanly with Teensy 3.0, Teensy 2.0 (both set to USB: K+M+J) and Leonardo (I don't have a physical Leonardo to tst, but it compiled) and it failed to compile, as expected, if I select Uno.

I worked on it again last night. It looks like it ought to work, but no data transfer happens. When I watch with my protocol analyzer, IN tokens are not being sent, but they are being sent on the other endpoints. That leads me to suspect it's a descriptor issue. I tried swapping endpoints, and the keyboard works on that endpoint, so my interrupt code that moves data is probably ok. I tried copying Teensy 2.0's descriptors exactly, but still no luck. So far, I'm completely stuck.

I've been using the Beagle 12 analyzer. This problem, and a year-end discount from Total Phase pushed me over the edge to buying their Beagle 480 analyzer. Teensy 3.0 is only 12 Mbit/sec, but the 480 model has class level decoding (and also digital inputs, which I've wanted many times). The package just arrived yesterday and I haven't had time to use it yet. But I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Maybe that'll shine new light on this problem. Or maybe I'll just figure out the mistake I've made somewhere. If you want to look too, nothing substantial has changed over the last few days. This is still the latest code. http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/beta/teensy3_27nov12.zip

This is was what I was doing wrong! Thank you very much, everything is working great now!

Wait - you put beta 8 in a folder and then 1.10 on top of that in the same folder? You should either use 1.10 (for stable but older code, Teensy 2.0 and ++ 2.0 only) or use one of the betas (newer code, some bugfixes, some instability; Teensy 3.0, 2.0 and ++ 2.0) in a different folder.

Just to make sure, is it normal that the "Keyboard.set_key1 (KEY_ENTER);" for example (all the others does the same thing), give me an error that it's not declared in the scope?

Last edited:
there is a mismatch between the previous installation of arduino teensy3 beta and this last update in terms of folders etc. i understand that this is just the new files plus ???, but where is the best place to put this or do i need to replace files one by one? i am anxious to get joystick working.

never mind, i was searching for the correct folder to put the new stuff in by looking for joystick but there was no joystick in the previous beta release so i never found the teensy3 folder hidden under hardware etc.

On 64bit linux system you have to install the 32bit libraries.
On Mint 14 either install the ia32-libs package (which is huge) or just install libc6:i386 with
sudo apt-get install libc6:i386
and maybe gcc-4.7-base:i386. The blick demo work and upload. Maybe other packages will also need it. Time will shown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back