How about a 3.5 inch 480x320 tochscreen display?

My experience suggests once down to 0.5mm pitch you need to use stencil/solder-paste/oven for reliable results,
you need that strictly rationed amount of solder per pad.

Well, what you really need is a iron with fine tip , of course, but the most important thing is a GOOD flux.
You almost do not need solder , as most of the time the PSC almost has enough. Typically, I put some solder on the pads, all at once, good roisin flux, and you gently drop in place your .5mm pitch device on the pads, solder one end, make sure all is aligned and centered, solder the other corner, while slightly pressing the device in place.

The best I ever achieved by hand like that is QFP204. Beyond that , no go.

Well, what you really need is a iron with fine tip , of course, but the most important thing is a GOOD flux.
You almost do not need solder , as most of the time the PSC almost has enough. Typically, I put some solder on the pads, all at once, good roisin flux, and you gently drop in place your .5mm pitch device on the pads, solder one end, make sure all is aligned and centered, solder the other corner, while slightly pressing the device in place.

The best I ever achieved by hand like that is QFP204. Beyond that , no go.

That's what I did with the 2nd breakout board. I applied flux on the pads and a very small amount of solder to the tip of the iron (TS100) and ran across the pads.
I then added more flux onto the pins of the FPC connector and soldered pin #1, made sure the rest of the pins were aligned and ran across all the pins with a clean tip.

I'll try spray some acetone/alcohol on the pins and use a can of compressed air to try clean out the leftover flux. I tried acetone with a fine toothbrush but I guess it's not enough.

I've designed some small PCBs overnight to fit a T4/4.1 and the FPC connector to test the display (similar to what @Paul shared in this thread), but I'll send them for fabrication at JLPCB and get them to assemble the FPC connector for me - that way I don't have to mess with it for now.

Back