New Teensy 3.2/3.1 shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelMeissner

Senior Member+
I was browsing tindie.com and I noticed the following new Teensy 3.1/3.2 shield that has the following features:
  • https://www.tindie.com/products/cburgess129/arduino-teensy-v42-with-wifibluetoothnrf24l01/;
  • It breaks out all of the pins (including reset for both 3.1 and 3.2);
  • It adds an ESP8266 for wifi support;
  • Pin support for Arduino Uno R3 compatibility;
  • Dedicated port for HC-05/HC-06 bluetooth (note the HC-05/HC-06 are not included);
  • Dedicated port for NRF24L01+ 2.4Ghz radio transceiver (NRF24L01+ is not included);
  • 2.1mm barrel jack for power;
  • Onboard 3.3v and 5v regulators;
  • Coin cell holder for Teensy real time clock.

Note, I'm not associated with the maker, I just happened to spot it newly for sale.

I wonder how hard it would be to put a 3.5 into a mega layout? I have seen some mega shields that have hc-05/06 or xbee on board. adding a nrf24l01 transceiver is interesting.

Yep. That's the one that Michael pointed. That's what got me thinking. I know there are a couple of threads out there already on creating breakout boards for the 3.5/3.6. Probably is what to put on the board. These are the shields I have played with:

http://www.robotshop.com/en/arduino...tYl9QW9d_7bBn7-3LwHhnzcsyGL1rX9_bYaAlRW8P8HAQ

http://www.robotshop.com/en/dfrobot-mega-io-expansion-shield-arduino-mega.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5sHHBRDg5IK6k938j_IBEiQARZBJWgh6IgWFIbMbT4zMJOKkr5vbSNyhcDHu0332EGEFaZUaAnlq8P8HAQ

@MichaelMeisner. Just ordered one to try it out. Would like to do it for the 3.5 but what is getting me confused is the pin conversion to the mega pins. same for spi.

@MichaelMeisner. Just ordered one to try it out. Would like to do it for the 3.5 but what is getting me confused is the pin conversion to the mega pins. same for spi.

As I understand it, it the pins on the back are not compatible with the mega shields. Instead they are just a convenient way to access the ESP8266 pins (as opposed to the Teensy pins).

I suspect you may/may not need tall headers to mount the Teensy 3.5 so that the back of the Teensy doesn't interfere with the electronics behind the Teensy (capacitor, etc.).

You would need to run wires from the pins that are now broken out on the outside of the board to connect with the pins that are on the bottom pads of the Teensy 3.2.

I saw that he really didn't breakout all the pins like you said after I ordered it. I really ordered to check the design out and use it for my 3.2, which I have a few :) Don't think I really want to start running wires to line of the pins :).

Actually what I am looking at doing is designing a completely new breakout board for the teensy 3.5 with the footprint for the mega shields or uno shields. Already have two prototypes that I am using just for the uno shields and another board that breaks out all the pins on the 3.5 that I am using for my robotics projects. Works pretty well. Learned a lot by doing it. If I do it I need to know pin for pin (approximately). What confused me is the pin to pin continuity between the 3.5 and mega.

Ok. Just so you know that I was serious here is the initial layout for the mega layout. Kept it simple. I used kicad and unfortunately the regulator in 3d is out of proportion to the footprint. The power layout is the same as the mega. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hate to permanently mount the teensy to the board so if anyone has any better idea?

Thanks
Mike

PS. Think I have to add a coin cell for the RTC.

Question: where should IOREF pin go on teensy 3.5? Also, should I hook up the reset pin on the connector to the reset pin on the Teensy?

Teensy35Mega.PNG

Last edited:
I figured I would update this post. Decided to design and build my own T3.5 mega style form factor. Also built a mega expansion shield and a prop-shield shield to go along with the stack. Been testing and have a couple more design changes but works rather nicely so far. Here a couple of photos for reference:

stacked.png T35Mega.png

Still debating whether to make changes to make it T3.6 compatible and add a 5v regulator on the expansion shield. Also been looking at adding a 8266 to the stack or on the expansion shield.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back