What are people using for WiFi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim lee

I bought this.. https://www.adafruit.com/product/2999

And they (The Adafruit people) say to use the WiFi101 library to run this. I'm finding that WiFi101 does a good job connecting to my network. But it seems kinda' weird and I just can't get it to do what I want. (Trying to get the example chat server to run more than on connection.)

i'd kill for just a standard sockets interface, but I can't seem to find even that.

What are people using for TCIP over WiFi? Is there anything better?

Thanks!

-jim lee

I'm not sure about overall utility - but using an Arduino programmed ESP8266 was cheap, and put up a webserver interface easy enough when I worked with that putting Arduino on it gave a secondary processor to handle network without putting that load on Teensy. That is posted around. I clicked the Adafruit link and two 'click this' items were 8266 on their site - those might give ideas on what they could do with it.

Probably 90+% of the maker community uses ESP8266 for WiFi, with more and more switching to the ESP32 which really seems to have taken off too.

FYI, don't forget that Pesky Products (prjc forum member 'onehorse') sells this ESP8285 Add-on for Teensy 3.2 on Tindie.

I bought a few awhile back but have not yet done anything with them yet due to other priorities. So I don't have experience using them yet. But I will eventually. Just wanted to make you aware that it exists.

FYI, don't forget that Pesky Products (prjc forum member 'onehorse') ...

Indeed those work. I started with RAW ESP8266's and then worked with onehorse as he evolved his units to work as well in less space in the shadow if the Teensy rather than the other way around if space and ease of connectivity is an issue.

I donno'. I love the form factor of his stuff. But I really don't want to learn to program yet another processor.

-jim lee

I've been using the Particle Photon (https://store.particle.io/products/photon) as the TCP/IP side of a few projects. The Photon does the web / user interface, the Teensy 3.x's handle the grunt work, and they talk to each other over hardware serial.

I personally only use Particle's cloud stuff for debugging; once the code is "finished" the board is basically a standalone web server. I've seen too many webapp / IoT / SaaS things turned into bricks when the parent company goes out of business.

The downside to this is the product is only usable on the local network since everybody expects devices to configure themselves automagically and nobody wants to muck with gory details like DHCP reservation and router port forwarding any more.

I donno'. I love the form factor of his stuff. But I really don't want to learn to program yet another processor.

-jim lee
You can just program it in the Arduino IDE like it would be an Arduino or a Teensy. Or use it with AT commands as a glorified serial-to-WiFi chip.

FYI, don't forget that Pesky Products (prjc forum member 'onehorse') sells this ESP8285 Add-on for Teensy 3.2 on Tindie.

Very impressive. I'll consider this if space is at a premium for a future project. For my most recent Teensy + WiFi effort I went with the Adafruit Huzzah Feather. Definitely much bigger than the Pesky Products device, but it's a no-muss / no-fuss solution. It's about the same price, has multiple powering options, built-in PCB antenna, and already has the SiLabs chip for direct USB programming and serial monitor I/O. As mentioned, you can program it in Arduino to offload the Teensy of all WiFi-related activities.

Last edited:
I use cheap WiFi routers that support OpenWrt Linux. Can be had for under $10 including shipping in the US. Teensy plugs in to the USB port. The router sees it as a USB serial device.

Been trying to port the teensy CLI loader, but haven't succeed yet.

This setup runs my cove lighting and a solar monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back