Is the Teensy++ 1.0 still supported?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonaguska

I'm on a Mac running Mac OS X 10.12.4 (Sierra). I have an old Teensy++ 1.0 (board type AT90USB646) that I wanted to compile a sketch for, but it appears this old Teensy is not supported on the newer Arduino. I tried setting the board to Teensy++ 2.0, but the compiler fails to download the code. I get a File Compatibility Error stating it sees a AT90USB646 (correct for this old board), but it's compiling for the Teensy++ 2.0 AT90USB1286. This tells me the loader sees my board, but the compiler doesn't have a model for it.

I've Googled for a solution and it seems the answer is to modify the Arduino.mk file and edit the MCU variable, which seems straight forward. I've use the terminal to look around the filesystem, but I can't find a makefile with that name.

My questions are, 1) where is this makefile? Or 2) if it's one I need to create, where would it be placed, and 3) is there a makefile example for guidance on its content and structure?

Thanks,
-Kirk

Teensy 1.0 and Teensy++ 1.0 are no longer supported. None have been sold for 8 years.

You can find very old code with a makefile here:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/usb_serial.html

Look in the makefile for this:

Code:
# MCU name, you MUST set this to match the board you are using
# type "make clean" after changing this, so all files will be rebuilt
#
#MCU = at90usb162       # Teensy 1.0
MCU = atmega32u4        # Teensy 2.0
#MCU = at90usb646       # Teensy++ 1.0
#MCU = at90usb1286      # Teensy++ 2.0

This ancient code probably won't work with any modern tools. It's very obsolete. You'll probably have to look for an old 4.3 version of winavr.

I can report some success here on Ubuntu 18.04, Arduino IDE 1.8.8 and the latest compatible Teensyduino release.

I installed the IDE and udev rules. I edited arduino-1.8.8/hardware/teensy/avr/boards.txt to create entries for the Teensy++ 1.0 as follows:
1) copy all the lines starting with teensypp2 and change them to start with teensypp1
2) change the human-readable name from Teensy++ 2.0 to Teensy++ 1.0
3) change at90usb1286 to at90usb646 in two places
4) ideally figure out the maximum program size supported
5) Uninstall the brltty package from your system, if possible.

After making these changes I was able to upload the Blink example. I also got the the USB serial example running after some problems. I think the problems were all related to the 'brltty' package which is installed as part of Ubuntu and seems to cause weird broken serial port behavior (stty and minicom hanging, strange ioctl()s being set on the /dev/ttyACM0 device, no output in minicom but Arduino serial monitor does sometimes work).

I'm sure lots of the libraries would fail with this setup, but I expect to be able to use basic I2C functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back